1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Input Button

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by phatmatt1215, Mar 26, 2010.

1. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    Got a new DVR (and new remotes)... The TV input button doesn't work.. Anything I can do to fix it?

2. cheesedjdj

cheesedjdj Legend

Jan 20, 2010
    Move the slider to the TV position. Press mute and select until you see the lights flash, then type in the code 960. The lights should flash again and the button should work now.

3. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    As cheesedjdj detailed, the TV input button has to be activated separately.

It actually gives instructions in the remote setup as well.

4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Any ideas as to why it has to be set up separately and not just work with the TV remote control codes?

5. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    Thank you... It worked :)

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Good question. I'm sure Edmund could probably answer that one.

- Merg

7. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm wondering if we should have a remote control help section sticky here somewhere?

Mods, what do you think? :)

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    For some inexplicable reason, all new white DirecTV remotes ship with the Input button turned off. The "960" code is a toggle; enter once, and it turns on. Enter again, and it turns off.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Aaahh... So it's not that we're programming the button to work with the TV, just that we are enabling the button to be used at all...

- Merg

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Right. You can turn the Input button on before you even program a TV code, but of course it won't do anything until a TV code is programmed. And some TV codes don't support the Input button, though most do.

When I set up any new receiver, I enter the TV code and then the "960" code to turn on the Input button. I do it on "autopilot" from having done it so many times... :)

11. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    Alright, so I have the TV Input button enabled - but with my TV, that brings up a list and you have to go up and down to select the input you want.

Only problem is the up/down arrows (and possibly Select) don't work for the TV. Do I have the wrong remote code? It's a RCA plasma, none of the codes in the manual worked, I had to go online and find one that finally worked.

Thanks,
    Matt

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Press the Input button again and it will probably move up or down each time you press it. Mine does with my Samsung TV. If you let it just sit on the Input you want it then activates it on my Samsung.

13. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
    Same thing on the Haier in the bedroom. BTW, it also works the same way when using the "Source" button on the Haier's remote.

14. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Sometimes when scanning for a TV code (or just manually going through the list of them) the first code may turn it on, but maybe the volume control doesn't work or work appropriately, or vice versa. When this happens, I keep trying more codes till I hit one that does on/off, volume up/down, and when appropriate, input, correctly.

IIRC, if a customer has a certain Sammy, and holding down the up volume only ratchets the volume up one 'notch', there is a subsequent code that will make the volume work the way the original TV remote does. I usually encounter that issue after a company installer stops on the first code during code scan.

Haven't done a Hitachi for a while, but some years ago, the D* input button would knock the TV set out of any AV/component or HD input the TV was set to and on to either antenna A or B, but would never bring it back. Hated that, and so did clients.

My thoughts are with the OP, wonky remote is no fun, and using the D* remote to flip channels, and then having to keep the original TV remote to change inputs (or volume, or on/off) is something people just don't want to deal with in 2013.

15. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    I can only imagine how many calls CST service gets, "I pushed a button on the remote now I got no signal". This is most likely the reason.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When you have a code that turns your TV on and off you can then Input the "993 and Select button" for a code and the volume and mute will work with that code and set the volume to the TV.
    If you have the audio going thru an AV receiver then the same code works, just need to have the selector in the same spot you used to program the AV receiver ( AV1 or AV2 ).

17. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    Thanks, but on mine it just toggles the menu on/off.

18. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Are you trying the cursor keys, or whatever your tv needs to navigate the input screen in the tv device? Because it will never work if you're in any other device than the tv.

19. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    That's my guess. He is leaving the remote in DirecTV mode and hitting the input button which brings up the list. Then he tries to use the up/down arrow buttons, but since the remote is in DirecTV mode that causes the remote to send out the DirecTV up/down commands so his TV isn't going to respond.

He will need to get used to sliding the switch over to TV mode whenever he wants to switch inputs, or my real suggestion is for him to get a programmable remote like a Harmony or URC.

It really suprises me how many people will spend thousands of dollars on video/sound equipment, hundreds a month on programming, and then balk at spending a couple hundred or less on a remote that really will make their life a lot easier if they got one.

20. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I don't think that many people realize how well activity-based remotes work (or even understand the concept of activity-based remotes). From what I've seen, an awful lot of people become more willing to buy an expensive remote once they realize how much easier it will be for them once they do. The exception to this "rule" is people who are afraid of having to program an activity-based remote.