1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Japan free on 640?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by fatpug, Mar 11, 2011.

1. fatpug

fatpug AllStar

Apr 11, 2007
    TV Japan is supposed to be free on 640 for coverage of the disaster. Dish Chat confirmed it should be free.

My guide data only shows 641 for TV Japan and it is in red. When I enter 640 or 640 it says I need to subscribe.

Is 640 working for you?

2. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    TV Japan was added to the free preview but you have to have the correct satellites which would be 61.5 or 118. If you have one of these, you should be able to view it.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Only the 640 version was put into preview. Channel 641 for Hawaii was not placed in Free Preview (although the "Free TVJ" shows would remain free - I watched some coverage this morning before the preview began on 640).

4. fatpug

fatpug AllStar

Apr 11, 2007
    I only have 119, 110 & 129

Why don't I have 61.5 or 118? Is a different dish needed?

5. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Yes.

6. RMichals

RMichals Legend

Sep 27, 2008
    MaryB@DishNetwork,

Could you please contact someone in corporate engineering and report to them that ch 641 has been showing in the EPG for continental US subs for almost 3 years now even though it is only on the spotbeam for Hawaii, 641 should be hidden from non Hawaii subs to prevent it from causing CONUS receivers from hanging up on a signal loss message whenever you pass 641. All my efforts to get it corrected including talking to Cheyenne Uplink 1-877 hotline number have resulted in no results. Thanks

7. BigRedFan

BigRedFan Legend

Mar 28, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Very nice gesture of DISH to give us this full-time Free Preview of TV Japan...They could've left the channel as a premium service (for $25/month) and made a nice profit from all the news interest out there.... Instead, they took the high road in not profitting from this tragedy.... Major Kudos !

Last month they also opened up (for free) 2 Arabic channels (one being BBC World News-Arabic) during the Egyptian crisis as long as those events were in the news....

Does anyone know if DirecTV has ever done something like this (with their International channels) during major news events ?

8. rkr0923

rkr0923 Guest

Sep 14, 2006
    D* do something for its people, right....give me a break

9. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I too was very pleased to find TV Japan 640 made available to us. And yes, Dish did this for the Egypt crisis also.

If a Satguys Dish CSR sees this, can you pass along how much we appreciate this.....

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The DISH IRT people are not "Satguys" CSRs ... they are DISH employees. DISH came to both sites and asked for accounts - and both sites separately agreed to cooperate. Neither site can claim ownership to the DISH employees (although the DISH IRT logo was designed by one of our moderators).

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Would have been nice if they had put it on one of the more general satellites where more people could see it.

But hey, I don't understand Japanese anyways.

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Just like the Arabic previews, the channels are where they normally are. It is nice for EA customers that there happens to be a regular slot for TVJ on 61.5 ... although not putting 641 into free preview for Hawaii customers is a mistake.

BTW: For any DISH tech who wants to fix the 641 EPG issue, just add the same "Hawaii" regional encoding to 641 as is found on the other "Hawaii" spotbeam channels. Then the channel would appear - subscribed or not - in Hawaii and not in the rest of the US where no one can subscribe. This is similar to the way the Puerto Rico spotbeam channels are regionally encoded. A hidden flag could be added to the channel, but then Hawaiians would lose "Free TVJ".

(The issue is that 641 is on a spotbeam. The way it is currently encoded, anyone with the 119 satellite sees the channel in their guide regardless of if they can see the spotbeam. They cannot watch the channel unless they are physically in Hawaii - yet there it sits in their guide. Yes, it can be locked and hidden by the customer but the whole point of having channels red in the guide to let customers know they CAN be subscribed to on their current equipment. Showing customers a channel they cannot physically receive is an error.)

13. RMichals

RMichals Legend

Sep 27, 2008
    I noticed they are doing English, Portuguese, Mandarin and now Korean on the alternate audio circuit which is available by selecting Japanese instead of English on the audio preferences menu.

14. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Yep. Forgot where I was posting..... so if the Dish reps here could pass that along.....

15. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    It seems like they are just repeating the Tsunami warnings in the different languages. It isn't the regular programming.

There should be some sort of icon or bubble that pops up in the EPG that tells you if there is any alternate audio. Are there any other stations that have alternate audio in English?

They would get more subscribers to international channels if these channels were translated (using the audio subchannels), captioned or subtitled into English. Heck, it would be nice if the Spanish channels were translated into English.

16. fatpug

fatpug AllStar

Apr 11, 2007
  17. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I think that we are hearing the Japanese version of the Emergency Alert System. I shudder to think what will happen if this sort of system is what the U.S. EAS is to become, as I have heard that it is designed to "take over' local broadcast stations during an emergency.
    Having the EAS override the live information, which might be of more use than the "canned" version, would make stations less likely to get breaking news out.
    (The current system in the U.S. allows stations to hold, then forward, pertinent information from EAS, without interrupting the news that is already on0.

18. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Here's a page Tony put up a few years back. I suspect it's due for an audit. Send updates to me rather than the e-mail link.
    http://www.dishuser.org/sap.php

19. RMichals

RMichals Legend

Sep 27, 2008
    Prior to the earthquake, the news programs labeled Free TVJ in the EPG always have english translations weekday mornings.

20. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    We really need CNN International on Dish. They don't do fluff news I.E. Charlie Sheen. Please request CNNII on Facebook or Twitter.