1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Ratings for NHL outdoor game DET @ CHI

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by TANK, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1 of 10
    TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    Going up againest college football bowl games , those are good tv ratings for the NHL

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090104.wtruth05/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

2. Jan 5, 2009 #2 of 10
    Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I'm not a Hockey fan. But I am a Cubs fan and I tuned into NBC to see the winter classic played at Wrigley Field. Seeing that place used for a Hockey game was interesting to see.

3. Italia

Italia Godfather

Dec 8, 2008
    I was shocked to see this rating. I go to a live NHL game once a year, but have not watched a full NHL game on television around 10 years now, except for this one gam. I look forward to this game. I thought last years was much more fun to watch in the snow. I hope they go back to Buffalo or maybe pick a Canadien city. Could you imagine a Quebec, Winnepeg, or Calgary location?

4. Italia

Italia Godfather

Dec 8, 2008
    I was shocked to read two locations wanting next year's game:
    1. Las Vegas
    2. Rose Bowl (at night)

Are you kidding me? Even if they can keep the ice solid.....I find this ridiculous. But it would be so typical of the NHL to make a dumb business decision. I believe people tune in because of the winter elements. They like seeing the teams play in the cold and sometimes snow. It's a throw back to when most NHL fans were kids remember going to the pond.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    How would that be different than Chicago? It doesn't snow in those cities every single day.

6. Italia

Italia Godfather

Dec 8, 2008
    I think the words "Winter Classic" make it different. The temperature alone makes it challenging. This last game had a challenge of the wind chill being a factor for the goaltenders.

7. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Agreed, but why would those Canadian cities or Buffalo be better than Chicago (or Detroit or Minnesota). As far as I know, they all have "Winter".

8. Italia

Italia Godfather

Dec 8, 2008
    I'm not knocking Chicago. I think it was a great location to select. However, I preferred Buffalo with a higher chance of snow. By me suggesting a Canadien city, had nothing to do with a chance of snow. Isn't it winter all year round in Canada (kidding...but not really). I heard it was so cold in Winnipeg that dogs get stuck to fire hydrants. Just more of a challenge for the players. Braving the elements of the cold. Don't get me wrong...Chicago wasn't a bad thing. But Las Vegas or the Rose Bowl would be a joke.

9. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    The Winters in Calgary, Montreal, and Winnepeg aren't really any different than the Winters in Montana (only a couple hundred miles from Calgary), Minnesota (about 100 miles from Winnepeg) or Maine (Montreal is actually further south than Maine). Or any other Northern US city.

Now, you could have it in the Yukon or the Northwest Territories and it would be colder and probably more snow, but that would also hold true for Alaska.

10. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    There was talk of skipping 2009 and playing 2010 in Vancouver before the Olympic Games started.