TV shows are going way too far to attract viewers

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Mark Holtz, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From NY Post (printed on April 10th):

TV shows are going way too far to attract viewers
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    The Golden Age of television was in the 50's, When shows were live and there were only about 6 minutes of commercials per hour. And even the commercials were entertaining. You could always watch with your family without sending the kiddies out of the room.

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Actually, the "Golden Age" ran from around 1948 until 1960, when filmed shows started to take over. Wikipedia cites Rod Serling's "Twilight Zone" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" as examples.

Quote:
    In November 1960 former NBC head Sylvester "Pat" Weaver commented on the end of the Golden Age of Television in The Denver Post, saying: "Television has gone from about a dozen forms to just two - news shows and the Hollywood stories. The blame lies in the management of NBC, CBS and ABC. Management doesn't give the people what they deserve. I don't see any hope in the system as it is."

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The progressive decline seems to make each age a little less golden than the last.

But even after 1960 there have been plenty of gems ... it has not been all garbage (or all "news shows and hollywood stories"). Want to call Bonanza, Andy Griffith and M*A*S*H bad television?

Apparently Bonanza and Andy Griffith didn't make the list ... but here are a hundred popular shows:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/best-tv-shows-ever-top-819499/item/desperate-housewives-hollywoods-100-favorite-820451

I suppose the trouble is that there were 1000 more that were bad and still made network television, and thousands more bad shows on the hundreds of cable channels available today. But there are still good shows on TV.

(For shows by the decade check out TV.COM : 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s)

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The problem is what do we mean by "television" and who are the "people" who should get what they want or deserve. And one person's "too far" is another's "great tv." IMHO we get what enough advertisers will pay for or we get what enough viewers will pay for. "Enough" is determined by the content owner/producers.

Given the expanding number of sources now available offering original content it's a buyer's market right now, but you may have to be the buyer.

6. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Wow. I'm way behind on Scandal, but now I wonder if I should even continue.

No one should be allowed to have the arrogance to assert what the "Golden Age" is. If you think the shows in the 60's, or the 80's, or today were/are the best, then that's the GA, for you. End of story, case closed.

It's all opinion, anyway, and we know what else everyone has other than an opinion (not talking bellybuttons). Revel in your opinions. Rejoice. Shout your opinions from the rooftops. Vaya con Dios. Just don't expect me to assume that someone's opinions are the last word, or mean anything to anyone else.

And, that's just my opinion.

7. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Not to mention "The Fugitive" and "The Outer Limits".

8. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    There's an old saying that 90% of everything is crap.

Not every show in the 1950s was "I Love Lucy" caliber.

It's just that, if the 90% figure still holds true, with all the channels and other distribution sources, there's a LOT of 90% to wade through!

9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    That's a good point. It brings up another point, which is that there's another 10% worth digging through. This is why the real important technology is weeding out the crap and bringing the good stuff to your attention, which is a technique streaming companies have not been able to capitalize on yet. If they ever figure that out...

It was reported that there were something like 427(?) new scripted TV shows debuting in 2015. Something to do with Jon Landgraf's statement about 'too much television', I think.

I can't speak for you, but I can't find the time to watch even 42 new shows a year, along with the ones I'm already watching. Sounds like a golden age to me.

And for forum posts (and rap even pop music) I thing the crap percentage must be even higher.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, how many fondly remember My Mother the Car? I know, that was the 60s. For myself, I grew up in the 80s so I remember shows like Mr. Smith, about a talking Orangutan that was a political advisor. That one didn't last long, but lasted longer than Isaac Asimov's TV show later in the decade.

11. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    Indeed my friend.... Nothing but total rubbish on now!! (With an agenda)

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    While Hollywood has done a lot of cloning and franchising there's still some quality programing. Ever watch "Impossible Engineering"?