TV Stuck on 480 Resolution

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by minimonster17, Aug 21, 2018.

1. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    I am running a vizio e550i-b2 with a c61k in my living room. Ever since the client software updated to 0x10d1, the TV has been stuck on 480. All of the other resolutions are checked, and will test on the resolution setting screen, but the TV revers down to 480 right away, regardless of the resolution of the playing programming. Native is set to on, and so is screen format set to original format.

I know the TV is not the problem, because I put in a blue ray, and the resolution played at 1080p. Any suggestions?

2. msglsmo

msglsmo Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Kansas City, MO
    Go in and change the resolution settings in the Client box. I had the same issue today.

3. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    I have all the resolutions checked under the display settings. I am really confused because 480 isn't even listed as a selectable option. The choices are 720, 1080, 1080p, and 4k. The hs17 is on firm ware 1088.

4. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Unless you are referring to a second screen I am unaware of?

5. msglsmo

msglsmo Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Kansas City, MO
    Ahh, that is the difference. I don't have the HS17. I have a Genie and several clients. Same issue happened to me today after a software upgrade.

6. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Don't know if this works with clients (I don't have one.)

Try pressing and holding the Exit button on the remote to see if it will toggle you between SD and HD.

snowtrooper1966 and jimmie57 like this.
  7. dthoman

dthoman Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Thank you for this forum and this post. Had an issue wherein we couldn't change resolution to anything other than 420. I guess we hit the exit button for too long and our setting changed to SD.

Spent all morning on phone with DTV and Sony. Finally DTV agreed to send out a tech, but only after I called the loyality phone number directly to have them waive the service call charge of $99.00.

I find it funny that no one at DTV had this step on their trouble shooting script. No one knew to have me press and hold the exit button in order to change back my settings to HD format. When I called to cancel the service call I told him about the holding the exit button and how I found it on this forum and he was appreciative as apparently he says people have called in with the setting being stuck on 480 and he didn't know how to change back the setting.

8. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Sad, isn't it? Some of us here have many more years experience with Directv than the short timers they have answeing their phones. I'd bet that little trick is in their script books somewhere, but they just didn't know where to look.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All these years we've been putting up with untrained CSRs who will say anything to pacify us...and nothing ever changes. Yeah, it's sad.

Rich

10. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    A funny note on this, the Denver call center is about a mile from my work so a few years ago I inquired about part-time evening work. It did not go anywhere as they wanted only full time but I later realized I would probably be fired because I would be figuring out peoples problems and helping them instead of reading the script

Rich, studechip and jimmie57 like this.
  11. RPF

RPF New Member

Aug 30, 2018
    When (what screen) do you hold the exit button.

I have this issue. I uncheck and check all the boxes. My TV says if you see this message your TV supports 720, 1080 etc etc. Press info to accept. When I press info it reverts back to 480. This only happens on my TV with the 4K genie. Other TVs work fine. I am not even trying to get 4K, just anything but 480.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Any screen. Just hold it for 3 to 5 seconds and a message will pop up. Pressing and holding it again will switch it back.

Welcome to the Forum.

13. Redoc

Redoc New Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Yep same thing here with a Vizo. Net said they just did a firmware update so thought it was that. But a search turn up the exit button here and on another site. Have 2 remotes floating around the bed and dog is always sitting on one. No need to change uncheck anything. Hold the exit button down say 5 seconds and bam !!! Returning to old settings. DTV call would be what 2 hours............

jimmie57 likes this.
  14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    After which you'd be told it's a known problem and their superb software crew is working on it. Jimmie is a far better resource.

Rich

15. snowtrooper1966

snowtrooper1966 Cool Member

May 15, 2010
    29B25471-16B1-4706-8695-829FAE96E6DD.jpeg

Wow, thanks bud!
    Ordered a 4K movie on Thursday, and error message popped up saying my TV does not support that resolution and it would play in 480, the higest available.
    Was driving me nuts, been using the HR 54/C61K combo > Denon X4300H > Sony XBR 65W850C for the past year.
    Figured a firmware update bricked it or one of the kids had changed a setting.
    Went through every conceivable menu in all the equipment and tech support on phone.
    They rolled a truck and tech was clueless.
    We all deduced C61K was bricked, and as techs had none in truck advised me to call support back and have one shipped out.

16. snowtrooper1966

snowtrooper1966 Cool Member

May 15, 2010
    B48A393F-2E29-4486-AF68-48633B65A997.jpeg While on that call today decided to google issue and landed here...

So much time and resources wasted, when a simple hidden command on the remote solves it.
    Grateful, thanks!
    Has me curious what other secrets there are...

jimmie57 likes this.