1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV tuner / capture device?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by John Corn, Apr 3, 2004.

1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I am interested in getting a tv tuner for my pc. Will I be able to capture frames from a tv show or movie with one? Do any of you know anything about them?

Thanks

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Video capture is part of my video card on my home PC, and I have made several screen captures for postings at various times.

In order to grab still shots, you have to record a segment of the video, then go through the video to get the frame you want and do a capture.

You'll be surprised at how Microsoft's Movie Maker works. Some of the reports in the field during the Iraq war were edited on the field using a laptop and Microsoft Movie Maker.

3. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Have an Ati tv wonder...can watch and record from antenna and or s-vhs or composite on mine. And yes you can get screen shots, my avatars here and at sat guys came from the ati program-but from replay files captured through dvarchive.

4. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Have an Ati tv wonder

Only problem is that these don't work with dscaler.

Just something to consider, if you ever plan on piping input from the capture card back out to your TV, ala many home theater computers.

5. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    Yes, I have an ATI all in wonder. I use it, but I don't like it. The software only allows you to open 1 TV window at a a time, even if you have 1 feed coming in on S-Video and 1 on coax for analog cable, so you can't do picture by picture or record while you watch. ATI is also a bad company, They have the worst Tech support/customer service I have ever delt with, and they charge you per minute for tech support, even in the first 30 days after purchase, as it is a toll 600 number. don't get an All in Wonder by ATI, unless they have come with something much better that I don't know of. I am going to swap it out soon for a separate tuner and video card soon.

6. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I rarely use mine any more as I have a dvd recorder and a replay to do what I got it for. I have Survivor thailand archived on dvd from it. The pq on both my 42" hitachi and on my X-1 dlp lacks some when playing them.