TV1 16:9 video flags supported?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by plainsman, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plainsman

plainsman AllStar

Nov 16, 2006
    I'm trying to output recordings from my 622 via S-video into my pioneer 520 DVD recorder - so to burn the recordings to DVD.

and shows which are native widescreen are being burned native 4:3 -- the 16:9 aspect of the input signal isn't being picked up by the 520, even though my understanding is that it's supported by the 520.

Is this VIDEO1 flag component-only or is it available to an Svid stream?

any ideas where I'm going wrong? - I can set my display to force 16:9 but would prefer to be able to have it happen automatically.

2. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    To get 16x9 out of the S-vid out which HDTV aspect ratio are you using? To get the s-vid to produce 16x9 to your DVD recorder it has to be set to 4x3 # 2 ratio. Otherwise it will be a 4x3 aspect ratio. I have check and this is the only setup that will deliver a 16x9 out of the s-video to my DVD recorder.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    There is no such 'flag' - change settings on your 622.

4. plainsman

plainsman AllStar

Nov 16, 2006
    OK, let's try this again.

I set the HDTV settings to 16:9 and can produce a nice anamorphic recording on the dvd recorder, but ... playing that dvd causes it to be seen as 4:3, unless I force my display device into 16:9.

selecting 4:3 #2 means that the 622 is doing the letterboxing and in reality a 4:3 dvd is what's being recorded.

From the DVD recorder's manual:
    "This recorder's input switches into wide mode automatically according to the input signal. when the unit connected is not compatible with VIDEO ID-1 (widescreen signalling), set the connected component to output 4:3 aspect ratio ..."

I'd like the format encoded on the DVD to actually reflect the program, and not need to force the display.

My best guess is that because the 622 has manual-aspect setup, it's not supporting the video-id-1 flag.

5. Zaphod

Zaphod Cool Member

Aug 31, 2006
    It took some trial and error until I got my setup working. The second DVD burner I got, a Sony, records and plays back in 16:9. I had always burned on DVD-R’s, but the new burner supported dual layer disks, so I tried a dual layer DVD+R. I was rather dismayed when I went to play it back and the aspect ratio was messed up. After a little more testing I came to the conclusion that for some reason the 16:9 aspect ratio only works on the –R’s, at least on mine.

6. plainsman

plainsman AllStar

Nov 16, 2006
    Interesting - I'm burning -Rs, to a standalone hard-drive-based DVD recorder (not a PC) -- I've seen some mention of editing the DVD's flags on a PC (after the burn) and I may go that route.

I was just trying to find out if the 622, when set to 16:9, would output a 16:9 flag.

I'm passing the Svid thru a distribution amp and then to the dvd recorder -- maybe that's not passing the flag (but why should it care?).

thanks for the reply.

7. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.