TVG and HRTV to merge

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Kingusc, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Kingusc

Kingusc New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Announced a few hours ago and being discussed on TVG right now. Operations will originate from TVG studios and will dramatically increase the number of races that are able to be shown. It sounds like they plan to keep two channels of distribution, however (I'm not positive about this). If that's the case, it seems at least possible that Directv could be adding the second channel in the medium term.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/90213/tvg-acquiring-hrtv-operations-to-merge

2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Will they go HD?

Will HRTV become TVG 2?

602 TVG HD?
    603 TVG 2 HD?

3. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Will the Churchill Downs owned tracks return to TVG?

4. Kingusc

Kingusc New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I guess those are the big questions - I'd seriously doubt they need two HD channels, given that so few tracks are going HD yet. They are going to coordinate programming so they can get more races in. But it would not be a big challenge to get HD programming limited to one channel. They are also going to leave the name HRTV for now but have made it clear they will reconsider it in time. They do plan to leverage their relationship with Directv and work on distribution for HRTV, so if that is successful, I'd suspect we'd see the 602/603 mapping suggested above.

5. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Merging won't mean anything for HRTV's distribution in the short term. They'll still need to honor the existing contract DirecTV has with just TVG, so they can't really force HRTV into the deal until TVG's contract with DirecTV is up for renewal.

It's kind of like how NuvoTV's parent company purchasing Fuse last year didn't give us NuvoTV.

6. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Anyone heard any updates on this? Would love for Directv to carry HRTV as well as TVG.