TVision Mini Review

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by SledgeHammer, May 29, 2020.

1. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Ordered TVision today since DirecTV wouldn't re-up my promo, so I'll do a little mini review. Not going to take a bunch of pictures or anything like that though, too much work :).

Based on what I know so far:

* You need a set top box at each TV
    * No contracts
    * Currently no ads in the guide or UI
    * 8 tuners on the server
    * Server has to be hard wired (but I'll be using an AC bridge), clients connect to the server through a hidden wifi network (but I won't be testing the clients)
    * 400 hours HD local DVR
    * The server can output HD and 4K directly, so if you have 1 TV, you only need the one box
    * UI supports profiles and voice and recommendations, etc.
    * Data usage:

HD = about 1.8GB/hr
    4K = about 7.7GB/hr
    Home Screen = about 5 - 6GB/hr

* Only 2 4K channels now. FSN and Nasa, but they have 4K PPV and On Demand. HDR is supported.
    * Locals are similar to cable where they provide you with some of the sub channels as well (at least in my area, so no need for OTA)
    * No concept of packages. It's $90 flat rate for TMobile customers + $10/box. So $100 for me plus taxes. Supposedly the taxes will only be on the $10 portion. They have all the premiums which are extra of course.
    * TMobile recommends 50Mbps for the service, I have 1Gbps, but as noted above, the server will be running on an AC bridge, so that port will max out at about 500Mbps.

I've visited 2 tmobile stores to check out the service, and at both, the PQ sucked if I'm being honest. The sales people at both locations gave me the same story: We have slower internet and every device in the store is on it.

They offer an 21 day money back guarantee if you don't like the service.

You can theoretically order the service on the TVision web site, but it doesn't work with Chrome+Ghostery. I disabled Ghostery and I was able to get a few steps further, but it still didn't accept my order, so I had to call in.

That's all the info I have for now...

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I just took a look at the Tvision site, not available in my area. But cost wise it seems to be about the same as ATT TV but without contract and 1st year promo deals. Certainly not a bargain.

Hope it works out for you.

3. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I asked about any promotions and stuff like that. Nothing right now, but they said when they spin up 5G, they'll be bundling deals there. The no contracts is a big deal to a lot of people. I wouldn't sign up to a streaming service with contracts, that's for sure. The key selling point of streaming for a lot of people is to sign up for a month or two, binge, then move on to the next service.

In regards to the price, I don't believe TVision has had any price hikes since launch. Which is more then we can say for T & DirecTV. TMobile seems to keep their prices pretty steady on other services, so fingers crossed. ATT TV doesn't seem to carry any sub channels for locals. I'm not really sure which one of the T services you are talking about since they have a bunch with almost identical names lol. When you were comparing the price, did you include all the extra fees? I checked one of the services and it had about $11 of fees tacked on from the advertised price when I got to the cart, and that was a first yr promo rate.

The channel selection is larger on Tvision from what I can see. Although the premiums seem to be more expensive.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I just looked at the TVision streaming site. It isn’t available here so I didn’t delve into it much. As to extra fees, ell some streaming services have them and some don’t. At the sub level I’m with on ATT TV I don’t have any extra fees though all the other levels had rsn fees

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. Jun 3, 2020 #5 of 41
    rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    It shows as available in my area.

I'm not sure that I get the point. It depends on high speed internet, but Verizon FIOS has triple play bundles.

The website also doesn't specify the actual local channels carried, just vague description like Public Broadcasting System.

It's definitely targeted to the viewer that is not price sensitive and wants everything. Even though the lineup is extensive with more channels than YouTube TV, and Hulu Live, however it looks like it carries fewer channels than FIOS and Comcast in my area. So it's a charge high and offer fewer channels approach.

6. Jun 3, 2020 #6 of 41
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    In my area, it shows the specific locals like Cozi. You can consider it a skinny-ER traditional package delivered over the internet with traditional hardware. As a comparison, my DirecTV bill is $130 since they aren't re-upping my promo (so far) vs. $102 on TVision, so quite a savings there. The box is being delivered Friday, so I can't comment on the PQ yet.

My issue with Youtube is that the basic package doesn't carry all the channels I want, not to mention the weird DVR behavior. To get all the channels I want via OTT, I priced it at at LEAST $70+ and I wouldn't have PBS and I'd need 3 providers. So yeah, I could probably save another $20 - $30, but managing 3 OTT providers sounds like a huge PITA I'm not ready to deal with yet lol.

Another selling point is the supposedly fixed pricing. We'll see if that holds up if I keep the service. Definitely better then $7+ hikes every year on DTV and some of the OTT providers have jacked up prices 25%+ in one shot.

7. Jun 5, 2020 #7 of 41
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Got the Tvision box today early enough in my lunch hour that I hooked it up real quick.

* packaging is nice -- I've had some DTV shipments where the contents were almost spilling out -- triple boxing here with all the TMobile branding everywhere
    * set up is super easy -- plug in the ethernet and hdmi and power and you're done. the box came pre-activated and pre-configured with a profile for me
    * UI has more modern features then DirecTV, but only played with it for 15 mins or so
    * box boots up in a few seconds vs DirecTV equipment

That brings us to the PQ... real mixed bag here... some of the channels were very good, much better then DirecTV I would say, but out of the 5 channels I played with real quick, I'd say at least one of them -- Lifetime -- was TERRIBLE to the point of being unwatchable.

I'll give the service another chance tonight / this weekend since the internet is overloaded during the day with people wfh, but if the Lifetime PQ is what is now, I'd say I'm going to return the box.

8. Jun 5, 2020 #8 of 41
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Thanks for for the quickie!! Hopefully the PQ turns out better than you’ve seen during the day.

9. Jun 5, 2020 #9 of 41
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Seems to be the main Lifetime channel. Lifetime Discovery seemed much better. I'm getting full speed on speedtest though, so I'd say they just have a lousy feed for Lifetime. I looked through some other channels and that seems to be the worst one. I called up tech support and well, lets just say crappy tech support people aren't exclusive to DirecTV lol. She claimed my box was showing bandwidth issues... weird that the 4k channel worked great lol. Google Fiber speedtest shows 540Mbps right now where after hours its closer to 900+.

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    One of the things that keeps coming up in various forums about apps and streaming boxes is that the routers in homes are often just not up to snuff. Changing routers or sometimes just pulling the power off them for a short while and restarting fixes some issues that wouldn’t be what you’d think a router could cause.

11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I have a good AC router. Although to be fair, I am running the box through a bridge (which is exactly the twin of the main router and they are set up to bridge on "exclusive" 160mhz channels) because I have no way of getting an ethernet cable to the living room, but I didn't want to reboot my cable modem and router right now since its during business hours.

Honestly, I'm skeptical I'll see a difference after I reboot everything since the 4K channels were working and its only a few channels here and there, but if the box is reporting bandwidth issues to TMobile I'll give it another chance just to be safe.

I may even try to hook a laptop up through the bridge to make sure I'm still getting ~500Mbps at the bridge since that's the max on AC.

12. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Can you make that bridge wired Ethernet rather than wireless backhaul?

One of the first things I did whenever I've suspended DirecTV is repurpose my coax for MoCa 2.0 -I even had my ISP run extra wires when moving my router so I've now got extra coax for when I'm using DirecTV again.

I've had a AC mesh system and now an AX mesh. The radio backhaul just isn't as robust as the MoCa 2.0 backhaul on either mesh setup.

But when using radio as backhaul, even with the dedicated 3rd band, placement may override purpose, forcing users to place where best backhaul is optimal rather than convenient. I've found barriers like firewall, HVAC duct, exterior walls like stucco, and even stairwells are obstacles.

With MoCa backhaul, I can bridge isolated TV locations and dedicate wireless to mobile devices. Part of my 3rd band is even dedicated to mobile devices.

Or just try a wired Ethernet connection at another TV location?

This may be something to narrow the cause of your yellow TVision connection status. Because I'm wondering if there's any wireless between your ISP and TV provider? Is 5G limitations limiting the areas supported by TMobile's TV? They're pointing at your network when it may be theirs.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Well. Crap. TVision seems like they're giving me West Coast feeds for stuff like USA, History, etc. where DirecTV gives me the East Coast feeds. Gold Rush would air here at 6pm, but on TVision its on at 9pm. That would be a second deal breaker for me after the PQ I think.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  14. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    So I rebooted my cable modem and router(s).

PC hardwired into main router which is hardwired into the cable modem: 844mbps down
    Laptop hardwired into bridge: 380mbps down (ch100), 423mbps (ch104) -- so I'm pretty much maxing out AC

15. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I hear that. I've ran into same issue trying other TV services. My wife did notice at least some of her shows on Sling are East coast feeds. Maybe all? Haven't asked.

But a big deal breaker with Sling not allowing pause on live TV. Comes back to record everything and yet DVR capacity is limited. 50 hours may be doable but this may require constant maintenance; delete it after watched, don't keep long. I looked back as far as 2016 and found complaints about can't pause live TV on Sling. No excuse for that; get better channel already, Sling! I likely won't stay with Sling past the billing date.

Thought it would be a good time to try something else to save a few bucks. If there was a lot of TV to watch right now, I'd likely go back to DirecTV or pony up for better service. I did the recent trial with YTTV; that would make me happy but not so much the wife. Keeping Philo may be an option but as you suggest, too many compromises for saving a few bucks.

16. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    MoCa 2.0 backhaul gives me subscribed connection speeds at my TV locations.

As you're finding, half isn't bad but Ethernet is two way traffic simultaneously whereas radio wireless isn't. Then there's radio scheduling that adds latency. AC wireless and dedicated 3rd band for bridging helps but not as much as wired Ethernet.

Have your tried direct Ethernet to the TVision? I'm curious if TMobile would still show the yellow status when you're wired direct?

17. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Ya... I'm out... that was fast lol

1) as posted above, I hooked up my laptop at the bridge using the same exact port / ethernet cable and it maxed out AC @ 400Mbps, I had a chance to look at other channels and found more with crappy PQ. If my laptop can get 400Mbps on speedtest, I don't know what else to tell tmobile, they're either overly compressing stuff or have bad feeds.

2) giving me the west coast feeds for nationals is a deal breaker I think, while I live in california and "should" be getting the west coast feeds, for the cable channels, that totally screws up my schedule. I eat dinner @ 5ish, work out and am ready to watch some tv by 7. The 3 hr shift is something I don't want to deal with.

armchair likes this.
  18. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I realize there is overhead and latency with wireless. If I upgraded to an AX router, I'd get closer to the hard wired speed, definitely not going to do that lol. I don't have a long enough cat 5 cable to try hardwiring the box.

Not really worth messing with it anymore if the time shift is going to screw me up.

I'll probably try hit up loyalty again and see if they'll bring my bill down.

19. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I wouldn't have upgraded to AX now if my AC router hadn't started going bad. I was actually trying to tell you, you should at least wait for WiFi 6e before upgrading if you like your AC router. There's only a few AX devices but none here atm.

The AX was only an upgrade for the speedy processor. I'm still tweaking it and learning and dealing with the bugs. Better than what I had but already superseded for sure. I wish I could have waited but also could've gotten something cheaper too. I could likely get by until 2nd generation WiFi 6e routers are introduced with less of 1st generation bugs.

20. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Ya, I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a 1st gen AX router. I pulled the trigger on a draft AC bridge and an early AC router and both were garbage. Right now both my main router and bridge are Linksys WRT3200ACM, so a high end AC router.

I read the AX reviews on Smbforum and they don't seem to be quite ready for prime time yet, although the Netgear RAX80 looks really cool. But for $300+, I don't want to be a beta tester. I've reported a few bugs to Linksys like parental controls not working on bridged devices and they never fixed it. Had to find a workaround instead.

I can do Amazon Prime 4K, Netflix 4K and also stream movies over DLNA over the bridged connection with 0 hiccups or pixelation as well.