TVision

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by SledgeHammer, May 25, 2020.

1. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Likely heading over to TVision... tried to find out how much data it uses, had to be passed around to 3 people before I got the answer lol.

HD = about 1.8GB/hr
    4K = about 7.7GB/hr
    Home Screen = about 5 - 6GB/hr

8 tuners, unlike DirecTV and some of the OTT providers, they include most of the local sub channels.

Local DVR with 400hrs that can DIRECTLY output 4K. Unlike DirecTV equipment. Guess they should rename the service to InDirecTV :D.

They do charge for the boxes, but the bill for the standard package is $100+tax. Supposedly that'll be a fixed bill and not jacked up $7 every year. Knock on wood.

armchair and B. Shoe like this.
  2. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    A bit on the expensive side, and too many questions as to their hardware. On one sentence they say wired connection required the then in the next paragraph hint wifi. Stand alone (non-network) dvr limited to 1TB and no ability to increase? And what about wireless internet connection, arn't they going to bundle this so folks can get off the expensive cable/telco duopoly?

And an interesting note, they roll out to a host of cities but NOT where their headquarters is, Seattle, WA. Going to make their engineers happy.

SamC likes this.
  3. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    The DVR server requires a wired connection (although I would be using it through a bridge). The clients talk to the server via wifi. It is a client / server setup. I've had multiple people there tell me the end game is to eventually be able to deliver it over their 5G as well.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah it’s owned by T-Mobile... of course they want to deliver it 5g over their own network.

And since they have a ton of spectrum now thanks to buying sprint... we’ll see how it goes. I’ll laugh if they end up doing the stations as a broadcast instead of on demand over 5g someday.

And I’ll believe they never have to raise their programing rates when I see it. That’s really impossible unless they own all the stations and they don’t...

With that said, I’ll be very curious about your experience with them.

5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    The PQ wasn't that great in the store, but the guy said their internet is slow and all the stuff in the store is using it... which is what the guy in the other store said too lol. So pretty much I'd have to try it at home to see the PQ.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    If there’s no contract involved, that should be doable I would think.

7. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    It appears to be a rather robust channel offering, and has a lot of the channels you've previously mentioned are priorities for your viewing. Not as concerned about the cost, that's a consumer's choice on what they're willing/able to pay. Will be eager to hear your take on it, should you make the dive.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I say be the genie pig around here and give it a try!!!

You’d be able to compare it with DIRECTV if you hold onto DIRECTV for a month. And if it’s not good then return it since it’s free returns within 3 weeks right?

I’d say what do you have to lose?

9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Yup, its a little skinnier then Preferred Xtra, but it has Science, History, DIY and Smithsonian and Cozi and some others that DirecTV doesn't have. Although it seems DirecTV has added Smithsonian to Preferred Xtra since I've had it for quite some time now (I only watch one show on there). I didn't say those were "priorities" :), I said I watch shows on them, so losing them by going to YouTube or similar would be a step down.

I played with the DVR and the remote in the store, so PQ aside, my observations were:

8 streams is nice vs. 5 on the HR54
    1 box solution vs. 3 for 4K (Genie+Client+AM21) local DVR with traditional behavior
    DVR UI has profiles
    DVR learns what a profile watches and displays recommendations
    Currently NO ads in UI or guide
    Remote has voice & alexa for those that want that
    DVR has a "history" button that brings up your recently watched channels in the UI

Remote is ok. Right now I have my rectangle DirecTV remote set up so the master button powers on the DVR+TV+AVR with one button on and one button off for everything. May become a 2 button sequence with the TVision remote.

I started a free trial of Cinemax this past Saturday on Amazon to watch Strike Back, so that ends this Saturday. So I have to focus on that for a few days. I'll probably order the box this weekend to try it out at home since its free for 3 weeks if I don't like it and some of the other DVR features.

One thing I'll say that even the salesman admitted, its still an "in development" product, so not all the features are fleshed out yet and there's supposed to be some "top secret" features coming soon too lol.

B. Shoe likes this.
  10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Yup, I'll order it this weekend most likely.

11. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    It appears to me the service is only available in eight (mostly largest) television markets, at this point.