TWC HD PQ vs SAT

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by khearrean, Sep 10, 2013.

1. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    Hey folks:

I have been a Dish subscriber for 17 years & due to recent annoying technical issues, I have been considering switching to TWC. (I never thought I would even consider doing so, particularly since about 7 years ago at a friend's house, their TWC PQ was horrible). However, this is now 2013 & I'm sure improvements have been made in cable TV & I just want to make sure I make the right move before switching & then regretting it. First I have always heard & read that SAT offers superior PQ to cable & I have to say that on my high-end Samsung HDTV display, Dish's PQ (particularly the HD channels) are fantastic. I live in the S.E. Texas area (Port Neches) & would like some opinions possibly from those who have had both services as to which most feel offer the best or at least the same picture quality (PQ). I watch mostly HD so that is the comparison I am most interested in. Price could also be a consideration, particularly since I know with TWC, I can bundle Internet, cable & even phone & I already have their Roadrunner service for internet. But I still don't want to sacrifice PQ for price. Can anyone offer any feedback on this matter?

Thanks,

Ken

2. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I'm not a fan of TWC and that is why I switched to Directv. I live in a complex that was pre wired for cable tv in the 80's. I've always had weak signal coming from the central feed. When Directv came out, they installed new cable for the feed. The picture is far better than TWC. I won't go back. I still have TWC for Internet. If you are thinking about getting Time Warner Cable, DON'T!!!! Or, at least have them install new lines in your house. I had TWC for 10 years and it was an ongoing problem.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You're going to be a much better judge of what TWC offers in your area than most any of us. Cable is different in that the PQ varies widely from one area to the next. Some claim their TWC is awesome while most aren't all that enthusiastic.

I recommend that you seek out a neighbor or nearby acquaintance and see if the PQ is sufficient to meet your needs. Make sure you sample a lot of channels as some carriers give the shaft to some channels (pretty much everyone sticks the MTV channels with the lowest possible bandwidth).

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Time Warner isn't exactly known for making improvements. Here in Cincinnati, it's just as bad now as it used to be.

Plus, they separate their HD and SD. I don't know if Dish does this, though I don't think so. On DirecTV, if I want Discovery in HD I just tune to 276, or a local on 12 etc. Time Warner, you would have to tune to 1276 or 1012 for HD.

5. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    Dish actually works pretty much the same way as you describe Direct. They will have a SD channel & it's HD version a channel apart; example 112 would be SD & 113 would be the HD version of the same channel & then you can just use locks to lock out the SD broadcast so it doesn't appear in the EPG (the guide).
    But again, I really wouldn't care about where the HD channel would be though & the inconvenience in getting to it. It would all come down to PQ for me. But it seems from the few posts here & those I find by Googling, that Time Warner's PQ is just not up to Dish or Direct. That's pretty much what I thought, but just thought I'd see if it had changed over the years.

Ken

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Plus at least some of their DVRs only hold 35 hours HD and generally have hated software. PQ is important, but you still have to look at the whole package.

7. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Besides the crappy service from Time Warner, their DVR was very outdated (an year ago). They were using the same equipment that they deployed 6 years ago, SA8300. At the time (6 years ago) it was great. I could record 20 hours in HD and two tuners, but they were using the same technology in 2012. When I went to their local office to get an new DVR, they were still giving out the SA8300's. After a while, I was having issues after issues, where DVR didn't record any of my shows and after multiple service calls, I finally switched. Just beware that you might be downgrading if you decide to switch.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That what I got when I was with Time Warner, after I finally got them to admit HD DVRs existed.

9. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Yeah, I hear you. I'm not a fan of Time Warner at all. I have a choice for my ISP, but AT&T DSL is just too slow.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Every TWC system is different but here the PQ is really really subpar. Very overcompressed.

11. cheech13269

cheech13269 New Member

May 29, 2013
    Santa Fe...
    I recently switched over from FiOS, I was not having technical issues with FiOS but their customer support system is bad in my book. Anyhow, I switched 2 1/2 months ago. THe HD is okay and the SD quality is ok on my Samsung 46" tv. I have had no major issues yet, I am using their Samsung DVR which is ok. ALL the coax was replaced when TWC came to do the install, plus our City was REWIRED by Time Warner a few years ago and I have thei 50/5 internet speed. Pricing is a little high but I don't want to get into those 2 year contracts that Directv,Dish, and Verizon require you to get. I'm tired of contract commitments!

12. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    harsh is correct. if you are serious, find someone in your neighborhood who has it and visit them.

cheech is also on the money. just having your house rewired means little if the feed comming down the street is from the 80's. crap in, crap out.

twc here in west PA. is abysmal. I had them years ago and the signal was always crappy, and the digital box was molasses. They might have changed the receivers, but the wiring here is from the 70's, no joke.

went to direct, then dish. no comparison.

so, what did you choose?

Oh yeah, I'll put up with the occasional outage over a painfully slow recever anyday.