1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two big bugs involving MRV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by t_h, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Jun 4, 2010 #1 of 103
    t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    First one was pretty straightforward. I was watching a show via MRV last week and the receiver hosting the stream decided to apply an update and reboot without warning. Seems to me that the box wont apply/reboot if you're watching something locally, that should apply to shows being watched via MRV as well.

Second one was tricky. About 4 times in the last week my son was watching a show via MRV when all of a sudden the dvr would flip back to the playlist and the show he'd been watching was gone. I didnt actually see anything except that the dvr was back at the playlist the first four times. Today I saw the whole thing. Screen goes gray, sits there for a few seconds, and then it bounces to the playlist with the show gone.

When I checked on the history, it was "deleted to make room for a new recording". His SL's are set to record up to 5 episodes, and keep until I delete. Of course, the dvr thinks its "I", not me, so it deletes the oldest episode to record a new one, even though thats not what I want it to do.

And apparently if you're watching that episode by mrv, it deletes it, pops you out of watching it, and have a nice day! :eek2::nono2:

Both are HR20-100's, for whatever thats worth.

2. Jun 4, 2010 #2 of 103
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That's the proper behavior for the keep at most issue. That behavior is outside of MRV. Once the sixth episode starts recording, the oldest is deleted. If you want to avoid that, change how many it keeps.

3. Jun 4, 2010 #3 of 103
    xyzzy42

xyzzy42 AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    Of course, a well-behaved DVR would not automatically delete any program until it needs the space. Deleting the 6th program on a keep-5 list when there is still space is insane. Mark the program as deletable, and delete it when the space is actually needed for a new recording.

All of my series and ARWLs are set to record all episodes for this exact reason.

4. Jun 4, 2010 #4 of 103
    Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    If it did what you propose the dvr would be disregarding your instructions which were Keep at most 5 meaning you don't want 6. If you prefer it to operate the way you describe the option for Keep at most should be set higher 10 or all episodes as you say you do.

5. Jun 4, 2010 #5 of 103
    t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    I've always considered that a dvr deleting an episode when I've told it to keep the episodes until *I* delete them to be a bug. And since the directv product is the only one that does it this way its a little confusing.

Once I realized that the dvr thought that when the term "I" is used, that its "I" and not me, all was well, except that we have about 20 series links that record 2-5 times a day and we only want 5 episodes. Dont care which 5.

As a result the dvr is recording pretty much all the time, which makes watching live tv impossible.

But yes, thats a different matter from the mrv viewing not being equal to local viewing bugs. Its just aggravated because the excessive recording coupled with watching the oldest episode of something when the thing you're watching records 5 times a day.

6. Jun 4, 2010 #6 of 103
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Wait, you're upset because the DVR did EXACTLY what you told it to do? :confused:

7. Jun 4, 2010 #7 of 103
    nn8l

nn8l Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    There are some shows I only want 5 episodes because I don't watch them regularly, but appreciate having a couple for those 'rainy days'. I set those to keep 5 at most. The programs I want all of I set to keep them all. I appreciate these options and the way they work. I have some shows I set up for the grandkids for when they come over. They don't need 20 or 30 episodes on my dvr.

8. Jun 4, 2010 #8 of 103
    t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Sounds like he wants some improved functionality.

In my case, I'm upset because it doesnt do exactly what I tell it to, and its blown up four shows on me that I was halfway through watching.

9. Jun 4, 2010 #9 of 103
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The keep until I delete is used to tell the DVR which episodes it can delete to create space first. Basically, it sets a heirarchy of deletable shows. The keep at most is completely separate. If you set that at 5, you are telling the DVR that you only want 5 of a particular show. Onc ehte sixth begins to record, it has to, by your own rules, delete one. The one that gets deleted is the oldest one. How is that unusual behavior?

10. Jun 4, 2010 #10 of 103
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yes, it did exactly what you told it to do.

11. Jun 4, 2010 #11 of 103
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX

It is doing what you tell it to do...Keep 5...it deletes 1 when it starts a new recording, thus keeping 5.

12. Jun 4, 2010 #12 of 103
    drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    This issue has been debated a lot and comes down to which command should supercede the other. Which is more important KUID or KAM? Good arguments have been made for both. My belief is neither. For me they should work together and never interfere with each other. There should be a prompt if a conflict arises. EX: If I set KAM to 5 and mark all 5 KUID. No new shows should record with out my designating what to do. There should be a prompt similar to the DP/stop DP before a recording is scheduled to start. To have one of the two KUID/KAM commands override the other is illogical. If I say KAM 5 and KUID 5 that's what I want. Do not delete anything automaticly without my command. Just my 02cents and I'm sticking to it.:lol:

13. Jun 4, 2010 #13 of 103
    t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Not at all. I told it to record a maximum of 5, and keep them until I delete one. Hence, when it wants to record a 6th, it should stop until I delete one of the original 5.

Which is the way that every other dvr product I've ever used implements it.

I said "keep until I delete" and it doesnt. In this model, the only value to the implementation is if I run out of disk space 'kuid' helps prioritize which shows the dvr should delete first. Rather limited benefit.

I'd rather it just does what I told it to do. At a minimum there should be a couple of options like "record 5 and then always delete the oldest and record a new one in its place" and "record 5 and then stop".

This isnt a new issue, its been complained about and been on the request list for a number of years. The way its implemented causes a lot of problems if you record many series links that are in repeats or have a marathon.

14. Jun 4, 2010 #14 of 103
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    If DirecTV would just implement a recycle bin, this issue goes away. If it did, t_h's son might have been able to finish watching the show and the KAM "5" directive could have been adhered to. Just my .02.

15. Jun 4, 2010 #15 of 103
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I see your side. I think we're both right. :lol:

16. Jun 4, 2010 #16 of 103
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    For me Keep 5 works wonders I set at 5 for all my kids SL. Otherwise I would have about 500 episodes of Drake and Josh. It works the way it should

17. Jun 4, 2010 #17 of 103
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Agree. Keep 5 works perfect.

The DVR always has the last 5 episodes, and only the last 5. Perfect.

As for the other issue with the MRV server performing a software update while MRV is in progress, that sure is a rare one! Certainly minor, but may be good to implement.

18. Jun 4, 2010 #18 of 103
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    And don't forget iCarly. :lol:

19. Jun 4, 2010 #19 of 103
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah maybe 600 episodes of that

20. Jun 4, 2010 #20 of 103
    xyzzy42

xyzzy42 AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    Deleting a show to make space, when there is no current requirement for that space, is wasteful. There is NO reason for a DVR to automatically delete any show until it has a need for that show's space. When it needs space, it should then pick the lowest priority show that is deletable and delete it to free up space. The object of a DVR is to record stuff, not to make free space.

Keep at most is supposed to be for space management. That's a moot point when there is already plenty of space. What's the point of deleting a sixth show when there is 20% or 50% or 90% available space?

As I already said above, I set all of mine to keep everything since I don't like the current implementation. When your favorite show has all of the new episodes deleted because a marathon of "bad guide data" repeats are all recorded, even though there was plenty of space for ALL of the episodes, you will understand.