1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Dishes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by shoobee, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1 of 25
    shoobee

shoobee New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Can I have two dishes on one account? One at one house and another at a different house?

2. Apr 8, 2013 #2 of 25
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Technically no. If you are taking a box to a vacation house or something like that and no one is using one at the first place, no one will know or really care.
    If there is someone at both places using it at the same time, that's called account stacking and it's against the terms of service.

3. Apr 8, 2013 #3 of 25
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As long as you dont use both at the same time and you move back and forth between the 2 locations, like winter home, summer home type of thing.

1 person likes this.
  4. Apr 8, 2013 #4 of 25
    shoobee

shoobee New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    that it can be done, D****** will not know, but should not?

5. Apr 8, 2013 #5 of 25
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    We are saying as long as someone isn't watching at both places, then it's okay. If so, then there is no need to tell them.

6. Apr 8, 2013 #6 of 25
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    What they are trying to say is yes it is possible. However, doing so is technically breaking DirecTV's Terms Of Service (TOS), and they can cancel your account etc. if they catch you doing it.

Most of us have found that they don't really care in the event is is something like a vacation home/cabin/tailgating setup that is only used a few times a year, and you are only using the service at one location at a time.

However, doing something like setting up a dish and receiver at your kids rental house while they are at college and them using it there at the same time you are using it at home, is a big no-no and they will cancel your service if they catch you. And yes, there are a few different ways they can catch you.

7. Apr 8, 2013 #7 of 25
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    A few ?
    Only one: if you connect the box(es) to phone line.

8. Apr 8, 2013 #8 of 25
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What about the internet/different IP address?

9. Apr 8, 2013 #9 of 25
    dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    Also techs are now supposed to look for boxes not at location whenever out on SC/upgrades now.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    IV retest anyone????

11. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Sorry to hijack the thread but what if I have a receiver at my RV that I don't take back with me. During a possible service call where they don't see all the listed receivers will they believe my story? Which is true by the way.

Kevin

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Then you have an RV waiver and you're fine. You do have the RV wavier right?

13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Since we aren't supposed to help people go against the TOS I wasn't going to post what they were, but it seems like most if not all of them ended up getting posted anyway, ha ha ha.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you can' hide law of physics, hahaha

to trigger the flag, the IRD must send info back to the company;
    how ?
    by phone, by Internet - that's all possible paths
    sneaking into house is miniscule chance
    that's it !

15. Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    Once there was a bar in my area and the owner took his home receiver down to the bar to use as a commercial receiver (not my account).... a problem came up, and an unknowing bartender called the provider for support. NAILED!!!! so i guess another way they can find out is if someone is stupid and calls them!

16. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I seem to remember they caught quite a few pirates that way too.

They'd do a ECM and the unknowing wife would call in to ask why has my picture gone away.

17. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    {not telling anything the old timers don't know}

back in the early days before DirecTV had their own installation crews there were some retailers that connected up some systems that were, shall we say, hinky.

Heard of a tavern in NW Missouri that had a residential system installed by what passed for an 'official' D* installer in that era, and their system worked fine for many years. Owner was clueless he had a problem and eventually had the receiver croak and called D* himself for a service call. Supposedly the tech was there working on it for quite a while before the 'light came on' and ruined everyone's day.

Apparently D* didn't sue, but the tavern wound up with a commercial Dish network account just a few days later.

:eek2:

18. MattScahum

MattScahum Legend

Oct 26, 2010
    We had a customer call into the movers dept yesterday that lost signal and called to troubleshoot. She was immediately sent to me to set up a 2nd account. she was furious when we explained to her since we knew what she was doing that we couldn't help her without two accounts being set up. Had two homes.on same.account active.at once.

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I laugh when I get a movers WO stating "please activate under account 123456789" This is a second account" we CAN'T :lol:

20. MattScahum

MattScahum Legend

Oct 26, 2010
    Preaching to the choir. the number of agents that set up a 2nd acct correctly are unfortuantely slim