Two DVRs to One TV - Remote frequency the same for both

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Special Ed, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Special Ed

Special Ed Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    I once had two HR-20s to my main TV, then the five tuner HR-44 whole home came along and replaced one of the HR-20s that died about 10 months ago.

Because the HR-44 can control viewing on both units, I only kept the HR-20 to burn off programming on it.

Soon after the installer left, I noticed that the HR-20 Remote and the HR-44 remote controlled both units. I screwed around for a while back then and finally gave up and just turned off the remote for the HR-20 because I was accidentally deleting and recording stuff on the HR-20 while actually doing other stuff with the HR-44 remote.

Fast forward to yesterday. I decided I wanted to be able to play music, watch TV, and play pool at the same time on occasions like new years eve parties - for example have a football game playing on the TV while streaming music through the home entertainment center AVR. Unfortunately, my fancy, high dollar AVR will only let me do one thing at a time - watch TV or listen to music.

I came up with this solution: I ran the HDMI from my HR-20 to a second input on my TV while the HR-44 still goes through the AVR.

So to listen to music I can now stream Spotify through my AVR, put the TV on the HR-20 input and use it as the tuner to watch TV. Success!

Then I noticed the old both units on the same remote frequency problem. So if I or anyone does any recording, playing, pausing, stopping, deleting etc... on the HR20, unwanted things could be happening with my HR-44.

I spent about 2 hours yesterday working with the HR-20 remote trying to get it to a different frequency than the HR-44. No luck.

I followed the onscreen instructions and from memory, here is what I tried:

Set HR-20 remote to AV1
    Go to remote setup on HR-20
    mute+select (light flashes twice)
    enter one of the codes like 00001, 00002, 00003... (I tried them all)
    Hit power to test (nothing)
    Set remote to DVR position and it remains on the the same frequency.

Rinse and repeat with AV2 position and various combinations. No luck.

Is my remote broken? Why can't I change the remote frequency for the HR-20?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I could next try to change the HR-44 remote frequency but I hesitate because it is set up to work with my Harmony remote and that will be a few more hours figuring out how to reprogram the Harmony to use the new HR-44 remote frequency. So before I go there, I want if at all possible to change the HR-20 remote because it would/should be a nice clean solution.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Place something n front of the hr44 so it won't be affected.

Take the working remote designated for the HR20 and go to remote setup, chose advanced settings or whatever its called, can't recall, and chose code receiver 4 or 5, something like that for the HR20. Then it will have you program the remote, which can do in position one ?(directv) on the remote by the way, and set it for which ever number you chose, and you'll be set. Don't use codes 1, 2, or 3 and I'm sure you will be just fine.

The other option, if the remote for your HR20 is also rf, set the HR20 to rf.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    I have not code 4 or 5. There is 00004 and 00005, is that what you mean?

Tried this if I am interpreting what you are saying... No difference. Remote continues to work for both DVRs

I tried setting HR20 to both IR and RF it makes no difference. When I use my universal harmony remote for the HR-44 (RF) it still effects the HR-20 when set to IR or RF modes. I just recorded MSU vs. PSU on the HR-44 and I look at the now playing and both the HR-44 and HR-20 were recording the game.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You speak as if you think you're using RF mode but your actually using IR mode. This is driven home by the fact that the Harmony can still control things (they CANNOT do DIRECTV RF control).

If you were really in RF mode, only one of the receivers would be controlled as the coding is tied to something unique to each box.

You're on the right track with codes 00004 and 00005 but you have to complete the programming steps found in the manual for the remote.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    No, when you set your receiver properly to rf it will not respond to ir ever. The only unit that will is the hr44... The hr20 will not, so you may only be changing the remote and both the unit itself. You have to put the receiver in the mode first, then reprogram the remote. Once that's done it will not work with the harmony. And yes, I mean codes 00004 and so forth, but you have to put the receiver in that mode first and as I recall it says receiver 4 or something like that... I can look, but not till tomorrow probably.

6. willardcpa

willardcpa Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    What is the model number of the remote that you are using for the HR20. I suspect that it may not be an RF model, I banged my head against a wall once for several days trying to program a remote for RF only to finally figure out that it was not an RF capable remote.
    And I may be "off base" here, but if my memory serves me correctly I think that there is also a remote code 00000 (last digit 0 instead of 1 thru 5). If my memory is still holding I think that is what your remote for the HR34 and Harmony is set for. The 00000 code is a "master" and controls everything, even if it is coded 1 thru 5. So I think that you might have to reset the code for the HR32 and Harmony so they will not "master control" the HR20. But, my memory may not be working correctly and this paragraph maybe should be ignored!!!

7. Special Ed

Special Ed Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    I am using RF with my Harmony remote, however, I believe I am using RF to the IR blasters so it is not direct RF to the DVRs - it is RF to the blasters which then beam IR to the DVRs... At least that is how I recall it works... I set up the remote a while back. That's the problem with this stuff, you figure it out then it just works, then when it doesn't you need to figure things out all over again years later.

It did not offer a 00000 option in the on-screen instructions. My remote is an RC64R, I found some online instructions. It does not look like it does RF. I will scan through the instructions to look for clues as to what to do.

When I had two HR20s each remote controlled each device separately. I think one DVR remote was set at 00001 and the other at 00002. However whether I set the HR20 remote to 00001 or 00002 it still controls the hr44.

Mind boggling as I know what I am trying to do should be possible. Anyway, time to bring in the new year.

8. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    Just buy a RC64RX remote from ebay for $10 and you have real rf on the HR20.

9. willardcpa

willardcpa Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    the RC64R does RF, I know this for a fact as I have that remote. You need to set up this remote to operate the HR20 in RF mode, that way it won't effect the HR34 as the HR34 is set for IR mode. Forget about the remote code 00001, 00002 etc, you won't need it for RF. When you are setting it up for RF you need to enter the last 5-6 digits of your HR20 serial number into the remote - this "marries" the remote and receiver to each other (it's possible to use more than one remote with a receiver in RF - but you don't need that so forget it). Don't set it up as AV1, just do it in the "first position".

10. willardcpa

willardcpa Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    You don't need a RC64RX. The RC64R does RF, the "R" after the number means RF capable.

11. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Des Moines, IA
    First of all, the HR44 can be in RF mode, and still be controlled by the HR20 IR remote, the HR44 accepts both at the same time. Unlike Hr20. So set the Hr20 to RF mode too, or set it to an alternate IR code from 00002 thru 00008. Start be covering up the hr44, while you change the HR20.

First program code 00003 to AV1 or AV2 device:

1. av1 or av2
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
    3. enter 0 0 0 0 3

Slide back to directv device on the remote and enter the menu of the receiver:

1. menu> setup> settings> remote> receiver mode>

2. you will see either Directv or AV1/AV2, click whichever to reveal both

3. chose Av1/Av2, the remote will stop controlling the receiver, slide to AV1 or AV2 on the remote which has code 00003

4. press Done and exit the menu

Now you can reprogram the directv device on the remote code code 00003.

1 person likes this.
  12. Special Ed

Special Ed Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    Edmond, thanks for detailed info, I'll give your exact steps a try tomorrow. I think I tried your process but might have missed something.

I don't really care about the RF aspect. I just need the remotes for the HR-44 and HR-20 to control their own boxes and not have the exact same functionality codes as each other. If I can accomplish that, all will be well.

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    And one final thing to keep in mind. The HR44 uses a different RF frequency/mode than other DirecTV receivers. It does not respond to the RC64R in rf mode. You need a newer RC71 style remote in order to control the HR44 in rf mode. That won't prevent you from doing what Edmund outlined.

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    So, did you not get an RC 71 with the '44?

15. Special Ed

Special Ed Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    Edmund, thanks for these easy step by step instructions. It took me about 2 minutes to complete the remote frequecy change process.

I think when I was using the on screen instructions I never got to the receiver mode where I selected AV1/AV2 after programing the remote. Hours wasted trying to figure out a 2 minute sequence.

Yes, I have an RC71 with the HR-44. However, I don't use it. All channel changing on it is done with the Harmony universal remote.

My next project will be adding the HR-20 to the Harmony so when I push a button it controls the HR-20, switches the AVR to "music" input/output, and switches the TV to the HDMI input the HR-20 is plugged into.

I am sure that will be another adventure and I'll be posting for help in a Harmony forum. Or I could save the grief and just manually switch things over the few times a year I want to play music, watch football, and play pool....

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Yeah, the latter way is how I tend.

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Again, this is a whole lot easier to grasp if you let go of the idea of frequency as the frequencies (both IR and RF) are FIXED for each of the DVRs. You are NOT altering any frequencies at any point in the programming process. You are simply changing the code sets that are modulated on those fixed frequencies.

It is also imperative to understand, as carl6 pointed out, that the HR44 (as well as the C4x Genie Minis) use a radically different RF frequency from the rest of the DIRECTV receivers and that's why they aren't RF compatible with the remotes dating all the way back to the beginning.