1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two free HR22s installed Sat, first reboot required Sun

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by AZ_Engineer, Oct 19, 2008.

1. AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer Mentor

Nov 14, 2007
    The D installer arrived at 9am sat (8-12am time slot). Nice guy, actually an out of work civil engineer who had only been with D for two weeks. I moved from HD Tivos and prior to that an SD Tivo. I have been very concerned about the move. So far, I like the new boxes, but within 24 hours, one required me to pull the plug to reboot. I was watching the last 1 minute of my football game, and the screen went black. At first, menus worked, but no video, then within a few seconds the screen was just black.

Is this a known failure mode? Anything I need to watch for?

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Nothing known that I'm aware of.

Are you networked? If so, try unplugging the network cable next time the unit goes black and wait a minute or 2 and see if programming comes back - may need to change channels after that, then reboot without the network connected. If that doesn't do the trick, try a reboot anyway and if it happens regualry, call DirecTV and let them know what's up - could be a defective box.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Did you actually pull the plug or did you do a red button reset?

4. AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer Mentor

Nov 14, 2007
    I am not networked. I pulled the plug. I didn't know about a red button. Where is it located?...joe

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Open the access card door and there's a little red button there. Pressing it should restart your receiver.

6. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Rebooting like that is not uncommon, mine reboots itself about once per month.

7. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I would have to dissagree with you on that one, rebooting is not very common at all, there is a problem if they do.

8. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    My HR22 arrived last Tuesday [10/14] and it has crashed twice! The red button reboot fixed the problem, but now I am also concerned about this issue. My HR22 crashed with the same symptoms as you describe. The last fail allowed me to see the recorded list, but once the recorded program was over, the menus failed to work. Maybe I'll try the network disconnect trick next time.

9. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    So not to steal the thread, buuut so far we have seen 1 or two complaints of dead LED's several complaints of random reboots and at least 2 or 3 DOA or Dead in a day. The HR22 has been out for what 5 months and is just now making it into the main distro channels? Is it possible that QC is slipping on these and any clue if the bigger 500gb drive is drawing more power perhaps taxing the PS?

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Actually the HR22 has NOT been out that long.

The reboots may be a result of the units running the original firmware, which like most any other HD DVR that has come out....isn't always clean of bugs. In any case, if it were me...I'd being doing a reset and force a download of the latest firmware.

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Just adding to this, there is a problem if they do a lot and were not just doing an update.