1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two HR20s and Two TVs: Can/Will Content Sharing Be Possible?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by thomasb, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomasb

thomasb New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Yes, I've seen indication of doing this with extra component cabling but I'm asking about via networking (as with Tivo).

The cabling route isn't practical in this house.

Any thoughts to this newbie greatly appreciated.

TB

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Multi room viewing is something that D* knows customers want but as of right now nothing has been announced by D* that it will be coming in the future.

3. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I wouldn't count on tv program sharing between DIRECTV DVRs ever being possible. They never did it with the SD TiVo DVRs. Now that they have a HD DVR there would be a lot more data to transfer for HD format programs.

4. iansilv

iansilv Cool Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Why the heck isn't this being done? I have a home network with ethernet jacks all over the place, and all I want to do is buy another dvr in my bedroom, have it record shows on it, have the living room do the same, and then be able to go throug the lsit of programs recorded b y both dvrs on each individual dvr- so my wife can record what she wants, and Ican do the same,a nd we can access both from where ever we are in the house. Is this too much to ask?

5. cbearnm

cbearnm Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    When I was at CES 2006 (or was it 2005), they announced a Home Media option that let's you watch part a movie in the living room and finish it up in the bedroom. All kinds of neat extensibility. Of course, this was to be later that year.

Good thing we weren't holding our breath.

6. The Phantom Ghost

The Phantom Ghost Legend

Dec 2, 2006
    My suggestion, FWIW, would be to put both dvrs in the same location and use a/v baluns to get to the other tv. You wouldn't have to run extra cable for that and you could still watch one in the bedroom and the other in the living room.

7. iansilv

iansilv Cool Member

Feb 18, 2006
    I want to pick up the remote, scroll through the recorded shows, and see transparently what is recorded on each tivo as I scroll through the list- not caring which progrmais on which tivo- and then click a program, and have it play- regardless of what tivo it is on. Or dvr. Or whatever they call them now. I guess I want some sort of "clustering." With fast ethernet, this can't be that hard- a Kaleidescape can serve 25 simultaneous movie streams around a house- why cant we have this?

8. thepoloman33

thepoloman33 Mentor

Jun 20, 2006
    I completely agree.

MRV is my #1 feature request (after stability of course).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.