1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two questions about new 622 receiver

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by rice0209, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rice0209

rice0209 Legend

Oct 11, 2005
    Q1: Just had this receiver installed last thursday and L356 was downloaded immediately by the installer. I was not there for the install, my girlfriend was, but neither him nor I when I came home could get my HDMI conenction to work at all. I have rebooted and fiddled with resolution outputs. I know this problem has been reported on this forum. My question is if anyone has heard any sort of timeframe on how soon this problem will be fixed with the new software update that the dish CSR was telling me about? I am currently just using component cables but my hitachi projector seems to like the digital dvi/hdmi connections better than analog component.

Q2: I have looked a couple times and cannot find a way to adjust the placement of the picture on my screen. I have noticed that a lot of the HD channels are not perfectly centered in the display area and could use a picture shifting adjustment to center them. Is this a feature of this receiver that I just must have missed?

2. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    I believe component are digital, not analog. Most people see little difference in PQ between component and HDMI. Audio may be a different issue depending on your equipment.
    Other than aspect ratio, there is no feature for moving the screen in the 622 software.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Component, composite, S-video are all analog connections.

DVI or HDMI, in the case of the ViP622), are digital connections.

There are also different kinds of analog & digital audio outputs, but I won't confuse the answer by introducing that in detail.

4. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004

I wondered too, where the features the 921 had for shifting the picture around are on the 622? Anyone?

5. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    I also believe that DVI can be either analog or digital.

6. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    But DVI stands for DIGITAL Video Interface. No Analog to my knowledge there!

7. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    This is what I was getting at:

There are three types of DVI connections: DVI-Digital, DVI-Analog, and DVI-Integrated (Digital & Analog)

DVI-D - True Digital Video

DVI-D cables are used for direct digital connections between source video (namely, video cards) and digital LCD (or rare CRT) monitors. This provides a faster, higher-quality image than with analog, due to the nature of the digital format. All video cards initially produce a digital video signal, which is converted into analog at the VGA output. The analog signal travels to the monitor and is re-converted back into a digital signal. DVI-D eliminates the analog conversion process and improves the connection between source and display.

DVI-A - High-Res Analog

DVI-A cables are used to carry a DVI signal to an analog display, such as a CRT monitor or an HDTV. Although some signal quality is lost from the digital to analog conversion, it still transmits a higher quality picture than standard VGA.

DVI-I - The Best of Both Worlds

DVI-I cables are integrated cables which are capable of transmitting either a digital-to-digital signal or an analog-to-analog signal. This makes it a more versatile cable, being usable in either digital or analog situations.

Like any other format, DVI digital and analog formats are non-interchangeable. This means that a DVI-D cable will not work on an analog system, nor a DVI-A on a digital system. Make sure that you know what format each part of your equipment is before you purchase any DVI cables. Only equipment with a DVI port labeled 'DVI-I' will accept both a DVI-D and DVI-A source signal.

8. HD921

HD921 AllStar

May 1, 2004
    Does anyone have an answer on the shifting problem on the 622? I have the same problem

9. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    To my knowledge there is currently no way to shift the picture around on the 622.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.