1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Receivers, One Room, Universal Remote

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mongo, May 20, 2010.

1. mongo

mongo Mentor

Jan 21, 2004
    I have two receivers, an HR20 and an HR24 in the same room and attached to the same TV (one has kids stuff on it and one has adult stuff). I use a universal remote (IR) to control the system in that room. My issue is that I am unaware of any way to control only on of the receivers at a time using the universal remote. Does anyone have two receivers in a room and use a universal remote. If so, can you tell me how you solved this problem.

Please do not give me suggestions to move one receiver or not use the two receivers.

Thanks.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If it is a learning remote, you will need to select one of the receivers, and using the remote setup on the original directv remote, set that dvr to use a different codeset. There are 8 codesets. After you select one, and both the receiver and original remote are using that codeset, then use your universal remote to learn to new codes from the original directv remote.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I used to have an HR20 and HR23 in the same room and controlled each individually with a Harmony 880. Each DVR was set up to use a different code set and then the Harmony was programmed to use those two sets.

4. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You can set one of them to use one of the alternate codes if your universal remote supports those alternate codes.

My Harmony has no problem controlling two boxes. (The Harmony did have to learn a button or two, but the guided setup walked me through the whole process.) You'll have to check out your universal remote to see if it supports the DirecTV alternate codesets.

5. mongo

mongo Mentor

Jan 21, 2004
    You guys are awesome. My remote can learn anything. How do I select a different IR codeset for a receiver?

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    In the set up menu there is a section for the remote. It will take you through the steps.

7. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    If you tell us what model remote you have, there may be an even easier way.

8. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
  9. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    True. If you have a Pronto, I could e-mail you the codes.
    I have two dvrs in the same a/v cabinet and this works perfectly.

10. mongo

mongo Mentor

Jan 21, 2004
    FYI, I have a universal remote MX-900. That said, I was able to get everything working using the feedback provided. Thanks again to everyone who responded.