DBSTalk Forum banner

Two receivers, one with 771 problems on D12

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  acostapimps 
#1 ·
I have two receivers, an H21-100 and an H20-100 running through a WB68 (w/old slimline dish). The past couple of weeks the H20 has been getting constant 771's on channels like FXHD, FXX and FSWD. Restarts fix it for a short time before it goes all 771 again. Turns outs they are all on the same transponder, 23 of D12@103w. When I run a signal test the H20 is showing 0 0 on 23 & 24 of 103 (ca), the H21 on the other hand is well into the 70's on the same TP's. (70's signal due to LOS going directly through lovely, large redwood in the neighbor's yard :()

So it's likely not the dish since one receiver is fine. Could it be the B-Band converter on the H20? Or is it time I put the H20 out to pasture? (The H20 is a bit buried in an equipment stack in a cabinet, which is why I haven't simply swapped b-b converters yet.)

thx in advance.

Edit: now that I look at the wiki on B-Band converters, I'm not sure they have anything to do with D12.

#2 ·
The first thing I'd try is to take the WB68 out. Unless you have equipment that you didn't tell us about, you don't need it with just two tuners.

I'd also look into improving your LOS as that's probably going to get worse if nothing is done about it.

#3 ·
harsh said:
The first thing I'd try is to take the WB68 out. Unless you have equipment that you didn't tell us about, you don't need it with just two tuners.

I'd also look into improving your LOS as that's probably going to get worse if nothing is done about it.
I only have 3 receivers (the 3rd is a Sony used for music only). I'll try bypassing and report back. I assume I can ignore the 18v 13v etc. designations on the WB68 inputs?

#4 ·
Try swapping this "bad" Receiver with one of your good Receivers. If the problem stays with the "bad" Receiver, you can be pretty sure it's defective. If the problem stays in its room, then something might be wrong with the satellite coax cable feeding that room. . Let us know what you find.

#5 ·
well, I bypassed the WB68. I had go through the satellite setup twice to get the H20 to be happy. I believe the setup guide still says the odd transponders aren't working on 99 & 103, but the signal checks and channel tuning say otherwise. Transponders 23 & 24 on D12 now are in the 70's, which is basically as good as it gets due to the aforementioned tree; every DirecTV tech who has been out has told me that.

i'll run with this for a while and see how it goes, but things seem good at the moment. :)

Thanks!!

#6 ·
Is there a way for the tech to relocate the dish where you'll have better LOS? How big is the tree?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.