Two slightly unrelated topics.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by NoMoRumours, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoMoRumours

NoMoRumours Mentor

Jan 27, 2004
    I am thinking about upgrading my DISH equipment. Currently I have 2 2700 receivers, and DISH 500, dish. What incentives is E* running now? I'd like to move on up to a PVR type, and would if necessary give up one of the receivers I have.

If the DISH PVRs are out of my price range, I'd get a Tivo. I was under the impression that a standalone Tivo would work but wouldn't have all the bells and whistles. That is, if I pressed record it'd record what ever was being fed to it, but wouldn't be able to change the channel of the receiver, but I saw a post here tonite that sort of contradicted that. So I ask, if I hook a Tivo up to a DISH 2700, would I be able to set it to record shows, as opposed to doing it manually?

2. sonic2000

sonic2000 New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Yes you can use a stand alone TIVO with Dish receivers. I currently have a TIVO Series 1 connected to a 2700 receiver in the bedroom, and a Series 2 in the family room connected to a 4700 receiver (Both these unit are approx. 6 years old). The TIVO units use what is called IR blaster that you place in front of the IR receiver of your receiver. TIVO I thought was easy to set up approximately a 1 1/2 hrs then your good to go. It does take the TIVO unit about another 8 hours to finalize all programing then you can set it up to record your favorites. I don't think you would be disappointed.

3. NoMoRumours

NoMoRumours Mentor

Jan 27, 2004

Hmmm, sounds interesting.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.