1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. News to Discontinue Print Edition

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, Nov 5, 2010.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Full article: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/05/magazine-news-discontinue-print-edition/?test=latestnews

2. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    US News, back in the day, was edited by an alumni of my college. We were real proud of that, small school and all.

Anyway, they used to have an ad where they held up a random cover of Time and Newsweek, which had fluff and the of US News which was hard news. The tag line was "if you really want to read about why Madonna is hot, we are not the magazine for you." That pretty much summed up the difference between the three major new magazines.

Pretty much this leaves Time as the survivor. Newsweek was just sold for $1 to a guy who wants to convert it into a openly opinionated deal. While those types of magazines seem to be surviving no matter their viewpoints (Foreign Affairs, National Review, Weekly Standard, New Republic, Nation, Atlantic, etc, etc) these are niche publications.

I will put in a good word for The Week. Pretty much will give you the news of the world, including pop culture and all of that, in 20 pages, with out much obvious bias. For a more worldly view, The Economist is still the gold standard.

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    At one time or another over the years, I've subscribed to Time, Newsweek, US News and Changing Times. It was Newsweek that kept me coming back until they changed their format from being a thoughtful news magazine to being a gossipy rag pandering to a different demographic group.
    It's sad to see the gradual demise of printed news media. When I was a kid growing up in Chicago, there were three morning and two evening newspapers. So many good newspapers have disappeared in recent years. I'm tempted to try the new NY Times online service, just to see what it's like.

4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I haven't seen US News and World Report anywhere but in dentist's offices in over 40 years.

Jerry Seinfeld