Uefa Mix Channel no longer includes FS matches

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by TravelFan1, Nov 26, 2014.

1. TravelFan1

TravelFan1 Legend

Apr 1, 2009
    Does anyone know why Directv no longer includes the FS 1, FS2, and FS Networks Uefa Champions League feeds in the mix channels? Right now it only shows the games that are exclusive to Directv, but this is not as useful as it was up to last year, when it included feeds for all matches one subscribed.

2. TJNash

TJNash AllStar

Jun 5, 2012
    San Diego
    Not sure why, but it has been this way since the start of the UCL in September.

3. Dec 1, 2014 #3 of 22
    mpie314

mpie314 Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Waco, TX
    This was the first time I've been able to be home to watch and I noticed that as well. I did notice however, when the earlier game was on FOX soccer plus that it was also on one of the uefa channels too.

4. ryan2112

ryan2112 New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Soccer related question. The upcoming mls season will have a weekly exclusive game on Unimas. How do I get that channel in Ohio?
    I have sports pack and get Univision deportes. That has some games.
    We have no affiliates in columbus that carry Unimas. Anyone have the same dilemma?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

5. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I get Unimas on channel 408.

6. Thundershock MN

Thundershock MN New Member

Dec 26, 2014
    This might be worthy of being broken off into it's own topic.

Anyway, what base package do you have? According to the DirecTV site for English packages UniMas is available in Entertainment or above. I believe it is also available in Choice Xtra Classic, at least according to the lineup shown when I log-in to my account. But, there are a couple channels missing within that particular lineup that I know are part of the package so, IDK.

The issue is that UniMas (both SD and HD) is available on 119. So, Working under the assumption you have HD service. If you don't have LOS or, have a Slimline-3 you are SOL. In the latter case (provided you have LOS) I believe you can request to be swapped to a Slimline-5 And, someone can correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe if you are requesting one of the PI channels on 119 they will do it for free. I'm not sure if they would do the same if you called about UniMas even though you'd end up with it by virtue of now having 119.

It's also possible DirecTV could move at least the HD version of UniMas to 99 or 103 once DirecTV-14 is active as well. I believe TWC Deportes (and I believe a couple others) works this way with SD on 119 and HD on 99 or 103. This would help HD subscribers. But, SD-only would still be SOL unless they could somehow move from an 18" round to Phase-III dish (or, upgrade to HD.)

I'm hoping MLS schedules games around this for local fans sake. In other words try to stick to markets with UniMas affiliates. But, I'm not super hopeful.

7. ryan2112

ryan2112 New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    I have choice classic xtra but only have slimline 3. I haven't heard of Unimas on English packages (like Univision and galavision).
    So I will have to look into this more.
    From what I hear, the Unimas games will be exclusive this year so doesn't matter the market, I can't watch them without Unimas.

8. ryan2112

ryan2112 New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    To follow up, I checked my brother in laws house. He has English only package with 119. He gets 408 Unimas in the clear.
    So I've been missing games for 5 years because my d* installer said I don't need a 5 lnb dish. I had a 5 and he arbitrarily swapped it for a 3. I knew I was missing something I just didn't know what.
    Damn.

9. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    UniMas was only added to English packages last year after DirecTV renewed their contract with Univision, around the same time Univision Deportes was added.

I think you all are reading too much into the exclusive game thing, it's probably just a Spanish language exclusive, as in the game isn't on Univision Deportes, where a lot of UniMas sports are simulcasted. It will most likely still be available in English either via ESPN or a RSN and the new out of market MLS package.

10. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    My understanding is that the games are actually exclusive to Univision (hadn't heard that they would wind up on Unimas until this thread) but that Univison is promising to include English language SAP on their broadcasts. The Univision games will not be available on ESPN or Fox.

11. Thundershock MN

Thundershock MN New Member

Dec 26, 2014
    In fairness to the installer that was pretty much true at the time. There wasn't much in the English Language packages on left 119 (or, 110 for that matter) exempting the PI channels and the few Music Choice channels of course. As already noted Univision had most of their networks (including UniMas) added (if they weren't already included) to DirecTV's English Language packages with their last contract renewal a little over a year ago. However, UniMas (both SD and HD)remains housed on 119 "out of view" for most English Language subscribers. Exempting the PI & Music Choice channels I believe Mun2 (SD only) is the only other network that is exclusive to 119 for both English Language SD & HD subscribers.

Most English Language subscribers aren't going to care that they are missing a couple Spanish Language stations (along with the PI & Music Choice channels.) However, there is going to be a small group of DirecTV subscribers that are also MLS fans that will be missing out. Unfortunately, most of them will be completely oblivious to the fact that UniMas is already in their package...they just don't have the proper equipment to view it.

They are exclusive to Univision, both Spanish and English. The MLS press release made a point to call this out stating "The Friday night match on the Univision family of networks will be the first time a Spanish-language television network will have its own exclusive night with a major professional sports league based in the United States."

Exempting the MLS All-Star Game, the MLS Cup Final and the US National Team games the contract is no longer split by language. Each "National Partner" (ESPN, Fox, Univision) has both English and Spanish Language rights to their games. ESPN intends to handle their Spanish Language rights by using ESPN Deportes. Fox will likely handle their Spanish Language rights by using Fox Deportes. And, Univision intends to handle their English Language rights by using SAP on UniMas and Univision Deportes Network.

Also, just an FYI to everyone. Not all the "Univision games" will be on UniMas. The Univision games will primarily be on UniMás. However, some (including a May and June slate) will air on Univision Deportes Network. Likewise, The "Fox games" will primarily be on Fox Sports 1. So, I assume that leaves the door open for some games to migrate to Fox Sports 2.

All that said I still wonder in this instance what the best way for someone to get swapped from Slimline-3 to Slimline-5 if they want to. Would it be best to just go with the "I'm paying for UniMas and I want to be able to see it line?" Or, would it be easier to request that you want to watch one of the PI channels on 119? I'm assuming they have a script to follow for that. And, would either require the subscriber to pay for the swap?

12. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    Unimas is available to stream in the Directv apps even if you don't have access to the 119.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

13. ryan2112

ryan2112 New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Is SAP accessed through the directv box? Or the TV? I'm perfectly ok watching Univision, but English will be more preferred. I guess I'll be swapping the lnb one way or another.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Through STB

15. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Hopefully DirecTV offers SAP on the national Unimas feed or on the local Unimas affiliates. BeIN Sports in Español also offers SAP in English for many live events but last I checked DirecTV did not offer a SAP audio feed for that channel.

16. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    You're paying for it now. Get a SL5 and you'll be all set.

17. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    The Unimas matches won't have SAP because the English rights are on different channels. I don't think the national feed (408) has SAP anyway and neither does my local Unimas (Boston).

18. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Incorrect. As noted above, under the new contract, Univision has both English and Spanish rights to the matches they will show. They have promised to provide English commentary through SAP. Time to email DirecTV to make sure that they offer SAP on Univision/UniMás/UDN (and local Univision/UniMás). Email them to provide SAP on BeIN Español while you're at it.

Under the new contract, Univision has a game of the week every Friday night (primarily on UniMás), while Fox Sports 1 and ESPN will feature games every Sunday (not competing against one another). While ESPN will presumably put the games in Spanish on ESPN Deportes and Fox will do the same with Fox Deportes, Univisión/UniMás/UDN has promised to make their games available in English via SAP as there is no English sister channel for these networks.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/12/mls-us-soccer-sign-landmark-tv-media-rights-partnerships-espn-fox-univision-deportes

19. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They'll have to provide a SAP feed before DirecTV and other providers can add them. I get the Philly Univision O&O over the air, there is no SAP feed yet.

The challenge though would be for cable viewers (contrary to the moves by Comcast and Cablevision, there are a LOT of cable providers out there who still offer a decent analog lineup of around 80 channels) where the cable provider needs to install a MTS encoder for the station to pass it for analog viewers and pass the secondary audio stream if they have a digital simulcast of the analog lineup. Along with some areas with a low hispanic population and Univision, UniMas and Unvision Deportes, if they carry them at all, are in a Spanish tier. Where I live Blue Ridge has Univision on analog, UniMas is in a Spanish tier and Univision Deportes isn't carried. Will the MLS be enough to convince these providers to give them equal footing?

20. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Following up on the MLS discussion, now that the season has started and Univision's coverage has started. I'm getting only a Spanish Language feed (no SAP) on my local Unimás station on DirecTV (KFSF Channel 66, San Francisco Bay Area), but I'm getting both English and Spanish on the DirecTV national feed (channel 408) and on Univision Deportes (channel 455). I have Comcast also and on Comcast KFSF in SD (channel 20) has both Spanish and English but the HD feed (channel 716) is Spanish only, while Univision Deportes has English and Spanish on both the SD (618) and HD (818) channels. I was unable to check the national Unimás feed on Comcast (channel 669 here -- SD only) because it is on the Spanish language package and I don't have the Spanish package on Comcast. (I do have en español on DirecTV.) (All of this information pertains to the Galaxy-Fire season opener on 3/6/15.)