Uh-Oh! (how do I get audio?)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by Delroy E Walleye, May 3, 2017.

1. May 3, 2017 #1 of 24
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I just got a new streamer box and suddenly realized that there doesn't seem to be any way to get analog audio out of the thing and into my "ancient" analog AVR. Bummer.

Every device I've ever used up to this point always had left and right audio out of some kind (either RCA white/red or a mini headphone jack at the very least.

Now what? (My TV doesn't even have any kind of audio-out, either. I've always gotten it directly from the device.)

Edit to add: I guess the TV does have an optical output. Maybe there's an adapter out there, somewhere...

2. May 3, 2017 #2 of 24
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    What outputs does it have ?

3. May 3, 2017 #3 of 24
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    TV does have an optical-out. No good for the analog AVR.

Streamer only has HDMI out. It does have a USB port, maybe that could be utilized, somehow.

4. May 3, 2017 #4 of 24
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  5. May 3, 2017 #5 of 24
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Which streaming box did you get?

Rich

6. May 3, 2017 #6 of 24
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Thanks, Jimmie. I will look into those.

It's an FTV2. I noticed on the side of the box it came in that it's supposed to have Bluetooth support for headphones and game controllers.

I wonder if I could I could somehow use that to output audio to an old smartphone or tablet that has a headphone jack...

I'm definitely gonna have to figure out a solution because there's no f'n way I'm gonna watch with the TV speakers!

Another (temporary) solution I'm considering is using an HDMI splitter into one of my capture boxes that has a headphone jack on it.

It'll be a right mess, either way. (I can't believe I didn't even consider this before ordering it.)

7. May 3, 2017 #7 of 24
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Well, I decided to go with the jimmie57 solution.

After taking a minute (yeah, that's about all it took) to set up the FTV I realized that converter is by far the most practical (if not the most elegant) solution.

It appears it will get its power directly from the (unused) USB port on the back of the TV.

If this works well enough it could wind up solving other annoyances as well. Not only might I not have to change audio inputs on the AVR as often, but it may possibly help to eliminate a nasty recurring ground loop hum (remember those?) that pops up every once in a while.

Rich and jimmie57 like this.
  8. May 4, 2017 #8 of 24
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    His solutions are always good. If your TV does have an optical out port why can't you use that? You're only gonna get stereo (or PCM) out of the adapter and that's probably the same thing your TV set outputs. How old is your TV?

Rich

9. May 4, 2017 #9 of 24
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Rich, his AVR only does the red and white connections. It is the problem.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My God! How old is it?

Rich

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I don't know but it has to be a bunch. I have 1 that is about 12 years old and it has Optical and Digital inputs but no HDMI. It will probably be my next small upgrade. I buy the low end Yamaha.

12. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    It is probably older than that. I just replaced a 18 yr old Sony that still had optical and digital inputs. What I dont know is when they stopped producing stereo only audio equipment

13. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    My best guess is it's roughly 25 or so. (DPLII was just making its way into the higher-end stuff around that time).

I got a great deal (nearly half-off) on an open-box item and it was next to the highest-end that audio store sold.

Long story short my OT-3 vintage mid-range AVR (like jimmie57's with optical and coax-in but no HDMI) crapped-out a couple years ago and I realized I still had that old DPLII lying around.

After I connected it up and got it going (no intention of ever using DPLII, 2-ch only) I thought it sounded so much better than the digital unit I decided not to replace the AVR for a while, but try to save a few bucks for a new display.

It really does have great sound from its main front amps. Nice and clean. And I was particularly stunned at how good the D/A converter is in the old HR21 is (especially the music channels)!

Also, the first time I heard my ripped (and uncompressed) CDs from the analog outputs in the box that has those I was equally stunned.

(I'm hoping the D/A conversion in that adapter is half as good.)

14. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I've still seen 2-ch stuff in catalogs. I think they're kind of intended for small-scale P.A. type or DJ use, but they're not real expensive I don't think.

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Something to try after you get it hooked up to the system.
    Turn Dolby Digital OFF in your DTV receiver and your TV. This might cause this little adapter to NOT have to do the conversion and get a better sound. Just a thought.

16. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Yeah, I think that's even mentioned somewhere on the page for that device, to turn off Dolby "to reduce static" or something like that.

I'm not even sure if my TV passes 5.1 from HDMI to its optical port, (maybe from OTA only). I've already got the DVRs set to PCM. The big question is what'll happen from the streaming box. It does work through the TV speakers (yuck!) so I'm sure there's at least a stereo PCM signal available at its optical port.

If this works as well as I hope it does, then I'll probably be able to just leave the AVR set to that input and not have to change it between the streamer and the HRs (only having to change the input on the TV instead of both). This will be nice.

P.S. I just realized that longrider in the above quotes may have been referring specifically to when Sony stopped producing stereo only audio equipment. Yeah, I have no answer to that.

17. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I was referring to audio equipment in general. I realized that even thought I had a 1999 vintage receiver with full digital processing that could have been a niche market at the time and 2 channel could have been the main market for years afterward

18. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    You can still find stereo only receivers on the market, aimed to people who treasure vinyl or just want a good AM/FM receiver. Example: Onkyo TX-8020, which has a phono input. Other manufacturers, such as Yamaha, have stereo receivers without a phono input, requiring either a turntable with built-in preamp or an external phono preamp.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not sure about Sony AVRs, but I've seen some 2.1 AVRs recently (during my hunt for an AVR that would work with my Samsung TV). I think 2.1 is stereo with a subwoofer, no?

Rich

20. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The Sony STR-DH130 is a stereo receiver. Sells for $119.99 on Crutchfield.

Rich likes this.