Uh, OK, why do we have Daylight Savings Time?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Mar 9, 2015 #1 of 144
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    So, folks, we have another round of Daylight Savings Time. For the next four weeks, my availability with my European counterparts is one hour off, I have to reset all of the clocks, and, oh yeah, we might save a half percent in energy use in exchange for a higher accident rate on the first workday after a time change.

Why are we doing this again?

2. Mar 9, 2015 #2 of 144
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It gives you more time after you get home from work to do some more work around the house and in the yard.

My old body takes at least a week to get used to the different eating and sleeping times.

3. Mar 9, 2015 #3 of 144
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Economic Effects: Retailers and sporting goods manufacturers benefit......Public Safety: Traffic fatalities decrease......Health: Alters exposer to sunlight, helps with depression.

4. Mar 9, 2015 #4 of 144
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I personally would like to stay DST year round.

However, from a technology perspective, when we changed the dates for DST, it was a big pain. I don't really want to go through that again.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mar 9, 2015 #5 of 144
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No use wasting all the morning daylight.

The ancient Romans adjusted their water clocks based on the month in a similar effort.

6. Mar 9, 2015 #6 of 144
    mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526 Active Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    I, personally, would rather drive to work when it's light out as opposed to pitch black darkness (I am a teacher so I leave the house around 6:30), so I also hate DST!

1 person likes this.
  7. Mar 9, 2015 #7 of 144
    fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    For me, It does not matter if I am driving to work two hours before the sun rises or one hour before the sun rises - it is still dark. I hear the argument about having school children waiting for the bus in the dark, but when my children were in school it was dark on standard time and dark on daylight saving time, so again, what is the difference if they are out two hours before it gets light or one hour before it gets light? I would rather have more daylight in the evening. Daylight saving time allows for more time for recreation, reduced lighting and heating demands, reduced crime, and reduced automobile accidents.

During WWII and In 1974 - 1975, we did stay on Daylight Saving time year round. As with everything else in our highly polarized nation, daylight saving time is popular in urban areas and unpopular in rural areas.

8. Mar 9, 2015 #8 of 144
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Starting in 1973-1974, a lot of northern colleges lengthened their winter break so as to save on heating costs. At the University of New Hampshire and at Dartmouth, it became 5 weeks long. Bad idea. It meant that students from those schools earned three weeks less from their summer jobs, and got passed over for the more desirable ones that were already gone by the time they became available.

9. Mar 9, 2015 #9 of 144
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I have a simple question. Since now we stay on DST for 65% of the year, should we not now consider the 65% Standard time and come up with another name for the other 35%? Maybe call it Daylight Adjustment Time? :)

10. Mar 9, 2015 #10 of 144
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    [​IMG]

5 myths about daylight savings time

"By Rachel Feltman, Reporter March 6

Daylight saving time strikes again Sunday at 2 a.m., at least for every state outside Hawaii and Arizona. Though DST has been part of life in the United States since World War I, its origin and effects remain misunderstood, even by some of the lawmakers responsible for it. Here are some common myths.

1. Daylight saving time was meant to help farmers.

Many of us heard, at some point in elementary school, that DST was developed because of farming. The idea that more daylight means more time in the field for farmers continues to get airtime on the occasional local news report and in state legislatures —<snip>

In fact, the inverse is true. “The farmers were the reason we never had a peacetime daylight saving time until 1966,” Downing told National Geographic. “They had a powerful lobby and were against it vociferously.” The lost hour of morning light meant they had to rush to get their crops to market. Dairy farmers were particularly flummoxed: Cows adjust to schedule shifts rather poorly, apparently. <snip>

Daylight saving time, in this or any other country, was never adopted to benefit farmers; it was first proposed by William Willett to the British Parliament in 1907 as a way to take full advantage of the day’s light. Germany was the first country to implement it, and the United States took up the practice upon entering World War I, hypothetically to save energy. How did farmers end up being the mythical source of DST? Downing suggests that because they were such vocal opponents, “they became associated into the popular image of daylight-saving and it got inverted on them. It was just bad luck.”

...."

11. Mar 9, 2015 #11 of 144
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Makes absolutely no difference to me, but I'd rather see one or the other all year long. I can appreciate the pros and cons everybody has spoken about.

Rich

12. Mar 9, 2015 #12 of 144
    fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    "Winter Time" would be appropriate, since most of the rest of the world already calls DST "summer time". DST, though, cannot be called "standard time", since it is out of sync with sun time, and sun time is the standard.

13. Mar 9, 2015 #13 of 144
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I was of the farmers wanted it myth, but now I am not. Most farmers historically worked on sun hours, ie. when it was light, regardless of what clocks said. Now many work equipment 24/7 (not the same driver!) and it almost makes no difference at all what 'time it is'... Getting stuff to market in the morning is maybe the only important factor, and that seems to mitigate against DST.

In a decade or two, clocks that don't automatically set themselves will be a small minority.

14. Mar 9, 2015 #14 of 144
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, I too prefer light in the evening, can do more outside after work, go on an evening bike ride without it being dark.

But some things, I'm not sure it much matters. Even without DST I think TV ratings would be lower. It's not just the light, it's the not being cold out, at least in areas were there is a winter.

15. Mar 9, 2015 #15 of 144
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The thing is... there is absolutely nothing that changing the clocks accomplishes that couldn't be accomplished other ways.

The simplest solution?

People and companies can change their working hours for part of the year. No need to change the clock... just start working 8-5 instead of 9-6 or vice-versa.

If there are things to do that you want to use the more-light for... do those things...

I've never understood the need to change the clocks.

1 person likes this.
  16. Mar 9, 2015 #16 of 144
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Worst.Idea.Ever. Ok maybe I exaggerate just a little but come on! It doesn't really accomplish a darn thing and yet we do it just because it's become one of those things we do now, even Indiana who had the sense for years to realize it a silly thing to do just gave in a few years back and started doing just because just about everyone else does and we must follow the herd! Just pick a time and stick with it, don't make me play w/ my clocks twice a year!

1 person likes this.
  17. Mar 9, 2015 #17 of 144
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Doesn't Europe shift to DST the end of March?

So if we didn't shift, then you'd be one hour off for the next 6-7 months.

18. Mar 9, 2015 #18 of 144
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'll agree to that ... I'd rather have sunlight at the end of the day than at the beginning.

It appears that they adjusted the length of their hours ... not a time shift, But I was not around back then.

Here is Last Week Tonight's take:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br0NW9ufUUw

19. Mar 9, 2015 #19 of 144
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If it were that big of a deal the schools could adjust their start times so the buses would start their runs at the beginning of twilight. Apparently schools cannot set their own hours so they want the rest of the world to change their clocks to suit schools? :rolleyes:

Time standards and zones have been set up "for the convenience of commerce" ... not for the convenience of education.

Sun time is a bad standard. When it was followed high noon was a different relative time in each town east to west ... as people traveled more it became inconvenient for commerce, so better standards were set,

20. Mar 9, 2015 #20 of 144
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Daylight savings and that's it. No need to fall back on the fall. End the day With more light is what I prefer.

1 person likes this.