1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to connect to internet (H24)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mikeinthekeys, Oct 22, 2012.

1. mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys Godfather

Feb 9, 2007
    It's great to be back at dbstalk after 1 1/2 years of condo life with no D! Now all back in business with whole-house setup but no internet connection. I was in on the first CE app developments and wanted to see what was happening, but neither I or my IT developer son (a D* fan too) can get it done.

I have been through previous threads and tried ideas found there but no luck so far. Here's where I am:

IP Address (outside of setup range) 192.168.0.201 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 DNS 65.32.5.112 Ethernet Connected, Internet Not Connected (22) Result code 86-128. Hookup: Cable modem by wire to DLink wireless router, by wire to switch, by wire to receiver. Have rebooted all in sequence. Have specified ports and ranges on DLink matched to Network Services ports. Have tried Automatic also. Nada except router sees receiver and receiver sees router. Ideas?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you reset the HR24 ( Has to be a DVR, not H24 ) it will let you then connect to the internet .
    Caution: Doing this will disable the whole home DVR service since HR24 has the DECA adapter built in.

3. mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys Godfather

Feb 9, 2007
    By reset you mean unplug and reboot, or RESET through menu options? And by lose whole-home do you mean permanently? Yes it is a HR24 DVR.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes to both. Edit: If you unplug the ethernet cable and reset the receiver again, the whole home DVR service will come back.
    You can reset by using the Menu, Settings, Reset and choose the first one in the list ( just like a shut down / restart of a PC ).

If you want whole home and internet it should be hooked up using the DECA system.
    It passes the internet to the receivers thru the coax cables.

If you just had this set up I would have thought they would have also connected you to the internet.
    I would call them back and ask them about it.

There are others on here that can be specific as to what exactly is needed to accomplish this.

5. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    You can unplug it, red button reset, or reset from the reset menu. Whichever works best for you. Just to clarify on losing whole home you can switch back and forth at any time. Upon start up the receiver detects the presence of an Ethernet cable and disables the internal DECA which is what separates the whole home information from your satellite signal. The receiver then reads the information on the Ethernet cable instead which would be your internet. If you want to swap back you will need to remove the Ethernet cable, reset the receiver, restore network defaults, and go through the connect now process to regain access to the whole home network. There is a way you can have both though. You can order one of two pieces of equipment. The first is a CCK-Coax, this will require the tech to come out and run an additional cable to your router and it will connect via Ethernet and provide internet to all internet capable receivers in the home. The second option is to order a CCK-Wireless. This is a self-install and works wirelessly; this will also provide internet connection to all internet capable receivers.

6. jeffreydavisjr

jeffreydavisjr Legend

Jul 12, 2007
    Your DNS should point to your router.

7. mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys Godfather

Feb 9, 2007
    Thanks to all... I guess I have some decisions to make! I want both functions to work, so it sounds like I need to check out the CCK options.

8. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    Cool, let us know how it turns out.