1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to relocate SWM: 771A

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Big Don, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Big Don

Big Don New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I wanted to relocate my SWM to my basement, where all of my cables, splitters, etc., are centrally located. However, I get a 771A error.

I have one line from the LNB to the 4-way splitter in my basement. Two outputs are in use, the cable from the DC power pass port and another cable to my HD DVR. The other two outputs are not terminated.

The cable from the SWM power pass runs to the SWM, currently in my bedroom, and then to my bedroom HD receiver. All I did was move the SWM to the basement on the same bedroom line. In other words, the SWM is now closer to the splitter but otherwise no difference in connection. However, I get a 771A error.

Perhaps I need to terminate those other outputs on the splitter? Any other thoughts or expertise would be much appreciated.

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Are you sure that is your SWM? A SWM requires 4 lines from the LNB and the output of the SWM goes to your various receivers.

From what you describe, it sounds like you are referring to the SWM power inserter (the SWM itself may be integrated into the LNB). Unused splitter ports should be terminated, as should be an unused port at the output of the power inserter.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    No it doesn't - many users have a SWM LNB. (One wire from the LNB)

4. Tech_1438

Tech_1438 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    Yes, the unused ports on the SWiM splitter should be terminated. That is not causing your current issue, though.

Place the SWiM Power inserter BEFORE the splitter. Attach the cable from your Dish to the Power to SWiM port on the Power Inserter. Attach a cable from the Signal to IRD port on the Power Inserter to the IN port on the 4-way splitter.

Good Luck!!

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    But that wouldn't be located in a bedroom :)

6. Big Don

Big Don New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you for correcting me: it is indeed the SWM power inserter (says SWM ODU on it). I will try moving it before the receiver, though based on the layout of the basement, I would prefer to have it after the splitter. I'm still mystified as to why my moving the PI closer to the splitter (but after it) would cause this issue; I didn't change the order in which were hooked up. Is it possible to be too close?

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    That is the connector that needs to go to the dish [or the Out Door Unit].
    The distance doesn't have an affect, but there is only one port on the splitter [which is marked] that passes DC.