Unable to watch OTA recordings with no dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GracieAllen, Mar 14, 2017.

1. GracieAllen

GracieAllen New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Minnesota
    I'm traveling, using a Winegard 1518, HR-24 and AM21 (or whatever the OTA thing for Directv is)...
    When I'm able to use the dish, I can record whatever OTA channels there are and/or regular non-local Directv stuff. Works fine.

BUT, I have several programs recorded, some from Directv and some from the OTA channels where I was at the time. I'm CURRENTLY in a location where I CANNOT use the dish 'cause there are TREES... Which means I can't connect anything to Directv. BUT, I STILL WANT TO WATCH THINGS I'VE PREVIOUSLY RECORDED. Which I BELIEVE, I should be able to do since I LEGITIMATELY recorded them at the time.

Every program I have recorded from an OTA channel is UNWATCHABLE. I can SEE the list of recorded programs. I can SELECT a program from the list. But as soon as it starts playing I get a popup that says "Service not active. Call Customer Service (750)...

The service IS active. It was active last week. It was active YESTERDAY before I moved to a different campground. It's active at home where my wife is... I'm not sure what calling customer service is going to do since I DON'T HAVE ANY WAY FOR THE DISH TO TALK TO THE SATELLITE...
    BUT, even though I think it's a waste of time I'VE NOW CALLED DIRECTV TWICE. And waded through the idiotic robo-answerer. And been DISCONNECTED twice before I got to a human. Currently sitting on hold going into the second 10-minute block waiting for someone to answer the phone.

And YES, I've done the "red button reset" at least THREE TIMES. I've also done the "yank the plug out of the wall" reset... NEITHER HAS HELPED.

THUS, trying here - WTF is 750, why am I GETTING it, and WHY CAN'T I WATCH PREVIOUSLY RECORDED PROGRAMS WHEN I HAVE NO DISH CONNECTION?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This is all I know about this subject.

750 | Service Not Active | Customer needs to have HD access to be able to view OTA channels.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    And why are ti screaming at us, we are not the ones preventing you from watching your TV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    And you know you are well beyond DIRECTV ToS, unless of course you have two accounts since you mentioned the wife is watching at home.

5. GracieAllen

GracieAllen New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Minnesota
    Well, this was interesting. And almost as useful as calling Directv. Thanks for the extremely useful answers. Now can someone actually provide something useful for solving the PROBLEM?

6. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    What would happen if someone stole your unit? They could get a ton of PPV's and have you pay for them (it's your unit right). So to keep this from happening if you unit is NOT where is supposed to be, it will go dead. It doesn't know it is you. Also reason the TOS. Terms of Service.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You can not operate receivers in 2 locations at once. DTV does allow you to take your receiver with you on vacation and use it, but not if the system at home is also being used. This is against their Terms of Service, TOS.

The error code says you have to have HD service to watch OTA programs. Without a dish hooked up you do not have HD service to that particular receiver.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Again, screaming at us won't get you far here, specially when your are building DIRECTV ToS.

9. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I am not sure the OP is violating any TOS.
    I took a look at the 2017 agreement (who knows which one is in effect for any of us) but in reading this, it says mobile units are allowed and I don't see a restriction on viewing in only one place at a time.

But there does seem to be some heat being generated in this thread, not sure why.

"(f) Phone Connections. For optimal performance of your Receiving Equipment, including
    ordering with your remote control or receiving certain Services, your equipment must be directly connected to the same land-based telephone line or internet connection. If you add Service on additional TVs, you may purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV, or, if all your equipment is continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line, we can charge you only the fee amount listed in the Equipment Lease Agreement. You agree to provide true and accurate information about the location of your equipment. If it is determined that the equipment is not at the service address identified on your account, we may disconnect the equipment or charge you the full programming subscription price for the equipment.
    (g) Mobile Units. We provide Service to Receiving Equipment installed in mobile units such as
    campers, boats and other recreational vehicles. However, this Receiving Equipment is not eligible for the additional TV authorization discount described in Section 1(f).
    (h) Private Viewing. We provide Service only for your private non-commercial use, enjoyment
    and home viewing. The programming may not be viewed in areas open to the public or in
    commercial establishments. You may not rebroadcast, transmit or perform the programming,
    charge admission for its viewing or transmit or distribute running accounts of it. You may not use any of our trademarks."

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Reading what you posted:
    "If you add Service on additional TVs, you may purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV, or, if all your equipment is continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line, we can charge you only the fee amount listed in the Equipment Lease Agreement."
    Read that as a separate subscription for each additional TV unless they are connected to the same land line.
    DIRECTV has been lenient by allowing Internet connections and not enforcing that rule strictly.

"If it is determined that the equipment is not at the service address identified on your account, we may disconnect the equipment or charge you the full programming subscription price for the equipment."
    And that is what has occurred here. The traveling receiver is not at the service address identified on the account.
    DIRECTV has been lenient but that does not change the rule.

"We provide Service to Receiving Equipment installed in mobile units such as campers, boats and other recreational vehicles. However, this Receiving Equipment is not eligible for the additional TV authorization discount described in Section 1(f)."
    I don't see how this is not clear. The discount described in Section 1(f) allows a customer to pay an additional receiver fee ($7) instead of paying for a separate subscription. Mobile installed receivers are not eligible for that discount.
    Again, DIRECTV has been lenient. But the rule is clear.

If one feels that DIRECTV's leniency invalidates their TOS one should take that up with DIRECTV. Arbitration procedures are also spelled out in the TOS.

11. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I am curious. Are you able to watch recordings that were not made from off-air channels? If not, what error do you get when attempting to watch them?

12. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    The receiver requires active satellite signal (Sat 101) to authorize any action.
    Once sat signal lost , the receiver may remain active for a few days BUT in the likely event ,given an RV, that it is powered off and restarted , without an active satellite signal you are dead in the water.

No way around this.

Get a portable Dish and enough coax cable to get satellite 101 signal away from the trees and you'll be back active

Sorry but that's the facts

Doctor j

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I know it is a hit-or-miss, but we have many people here who have disconnected DVRs and continue to watch their shows. I thought one user had updated he's been using his DVR for almost 2 years w/o an active account and not hooked up to a dish. You think the power cycling is the difference?

14. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Yes, and I really question using the receiver inactive for months.

In years past Recordings were available offline , that has gone away.

The receiver requires authorization, now every few days, maybe a week or two. Previously required about once a month.
    I guess that someone could have disconnected a receiver before the authorization requirement update and left it active for years and still functional but suspect that is a very unique and no longer possible action
    Doctor j

15. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They changed it again a while back and its requiring it a lot less often now. Its weird his is actually having this issue imho, because it sounds liek his non ota recordings still play, so its a weird OTA issue.. Maybe they changed the length of time just for sat recordings and not ota, which is odd considering they allow you to move ota recordings but not satellite ones between receivers.

16. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Just saw this thread.

The problem the TS is having isn't new. My personal experience told me years ago that an AM21 is incredibly poorly suited for use in a motorhome. If you do have line of sight for the satellite, it takes a half hour or more to set everything up every time you stop in a new location. And if you don't have satellite service, well, I hope you have a book to read, because you ain't watch the AM21.

At the present time there's not much question that Dish Network is far better suited to motorhome/portable/tailgate type use. The only real issue with dish is that they don't offer LA or NY locals like DTV does, for RV accounts.

Please note that in my case, all of this experience was done legally with a separate account for the RV.

Keith