1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unapproved DECA to switch setup?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by -Draino-, May 19, 2010.

1. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire

Seems very clean. Is this method approved? Are there any issues with connecting this way?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Approved" ? NO.
    Could it work? yes

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    My problem with what's pictured is that the HR is not in the DECA cloud when connected directly to the LAN switch. Ya, it will work as an MRV client/server, but at least on paper, it's not an optimal configuration.

4. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire

Ok so it's not approved.....any reason??? It seems so simple and clean there must be some reason why they would not approve this?

I'm thinking of using this setup but I don't want to ruin a new receiver or damage the DECA unit

5. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    You're not going to ruin anything. You just won't officially have the best performance.

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    See my post above for why I think it's not optimal.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The "simple answer" is you're adding in "crap" that isn't part of the DirecTV service/install/connected home networking.
    Why do something they don't support?

Yes many will modify what DirecTV does for their own reasons/needs, but understand it will all be "on you" to sort out any problems that may arise.

8. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    !rolling

The 'DECA cloud' is plugged in to the same Ethernet switch as the HR. There is no network delay (and infinitessimal switching delay) between the 'DECA cloud' and the 100 Mbps RJ45 input on the HR. Now, I can see how Hx24s could achieve greater than 100 Mbps FDX on the 'DECA cloud', but as long as you're using DECA adapters, you're limited to 100 Mbps Ethernet (since that's how the DECA adapter connects to the HR).

D* wouldn't suggest this because there's no requirement to have a receiver near an Ethernet connection (that's the whole point of DECA). If you do, this works.

9. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Doesn't this change the receiver from being on the DECA cloud to the same as being on a LAN?

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The only problem I could see happening with this setup would be if the other 2 devices plugged into this switch also tried sending info over the DECA cloud at the same time as the HD-DVR.

If that doesn't happen I don't see this causing any issues as the DECA connection to the HD-DVR is already limited to 100Mbps (assuming that switch is 100Mbps, and not an old 10Mbps switch).

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Yup.

You can laugh all you want, but you've created a hybrid CAT5/DECA MRV network here that denies that HR any MRV QOS benefits that DECA may provide it. Whether or not you think that's important is up to you and has been the subject of 2-3 threads on DECA vs. CAT5, so let's not get into it here.

Simply put, in practice this may work, but in theory, it's not the way DirecTV intended DECA to be implemented.

12. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire

I'm the type that loves to have "optimal" performance. When there is a proven method to achieve that, I'm all for it.

VOS you say I won't get that by "adding in crap" I'm not sure I understand that. The OP of the picture says that we are actually getting rid of crap "with no additional splitter, power supply or Band Stop filter"

Just seems like getting rid of a splitter alone would allow for a cleaner signal.

13. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Yes, I know, I created a hybrid CAT5/DECA MRV network, that was my goal. As part of the Beta (and before ;)) I had already connected all the HRs to Gigabit switches. All I really needed from DECA was to connect a receiver that didn't have Ethernet wiring.

Since I now have some DECA-capable receivers, they're all on the 'DECA cloud'. The other 2 HRs are on Gigabit Ethernet. There's no perceptable difference in performance, one way or another.

"Simply put, in practice this may work, but in theory, it's not the way DirecTV intended DECA to be implemented." I couldn't agree more.
    But it's not any more unsupported than just using Ethernet would be. :D

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Remember you're not seeing the whole system picture.
    "Crap" is the addition of other traffic though one DECA.
    Splitter & bandstop filter [count] isn't any different.
    Well maybe there might be one more splitter somewhere for the DECA to router bridge and a small PI for it, but this doesn't need to be near the receiver.
    Bandstop filter count/need doesn't change AT ALL.

"So" adding in a switch one place that could reduce the DECA performance is "cleaner" than having another DECA close to your router and a PI to power it in another place?

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    BINGO!

We have the winner here.

16. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    The three devices are 1) the Home Network; 2) the HR; 3) the 'DECA cloud'

It's a Gigabit switch.

17. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    In that case I really don't see this causing any issues at all. In essence you are just using one DECA module as both the DECA for the receiver, and the broadband DECA. When using MRV the receiver shouldn't even notice that it is going through the switch, it should just go from the receiver to the DECA adapter and out to the other receivers. When using Media Share or On Demand the receiver won't even realize it is on DECA and it will just talk directly to your router.

At least that is how I understand it would work. I don't think the receiver would keep looking at your home network when it is trying to talk to the other devices. I also don't see why anything on your home network would ever cross into the DECA cloud either unless you were trying to use MediaShare/On Demand.

18. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I don't know why this has to be an argument at all.

Yes, it should work fine. Yes, it is unsupported.

You are free to set it up like that, just if you have ANY problems with MRV or network related applications on your DVR you should be expected to take this hybrid portion out of the mix (easy enough to do) to get support from DirecTV or us for that matter. Networking can bey very simple, but VERY complex as well. It is dumbed down in a home environment, but just one device can mess things up majorly and be hard to track down.

19. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Just to be clear, as configured, that module is only being used as the broadband DECA. The pictured receiver is connected CAT5 to the LAN switch.

20. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    In our case, the installer who did the MRV upgrade didn't provide a network DECA, so we picked up a 10/100 switch and stuck it between the basement HR21 and the DECA (there was already a cat5 connection available there). Nothing else is on that switch. I've done some MRV testing with all three DVR's (an HR24 with built-in DECA, an HR22 with "proper" DECA install, and the HR21 with the 10/100 switch between it and the DECA). The only difference I could notice was that playback started a little faster if the HR24 was the server (most likely due to the faster processor in that unit). There was no discernible difference whatsoever between the HR22 and HR21, so the 10/100 switch has no apparent effect on performance in our setup.