1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unbalanced SWM?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jmf243, Jan 21, 2011.

1. jmf243

jmf243 Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Pine Grove...
    I've been having intermitten 771, 771A, 771B errors on one of my HD DVRs. I recently went from 4 to 5 HD-Dvrs. Previously I had 4 (Bedroom, Play Room, 2 in Family Room) on a 3lnb swm. When the extra receiver was added, I placed it in the Family Room with 2 others and placed the bedroom receiver on an old 5lnb SWM dish I had. A week or so after doing this I started getting searching for satellite messages in the Play room. I changed cabling, (going as far as removing the wall plate from the equation) to no avail. I swapped DVRs with the bedroom and still get the same issues in the play room. My wiring for the main dish is as follows:
    LNb -
    -green label 4 way splitter-
    1) DECA inserter
    2)Play Room DVR
    3)(power to LNB)-Power inserter in Family ROOM
    (to IRD) to Green Label 4-Way Splitter-
    a) HD DVR 1
    b) HD DVR2
    c) HD DVR3

The only thing I haven't done is placed on the playroom receiver on the older dish (for MRV reasons). Family room and play room receivers are DECA connected, bedroom is direct wired to network. I even tried removing the DECA from the play room receiver. Do I have an unbalanced SWM from the way the lines are split?
    Thanks for the insight,
    Jay

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Only a SWiM-16 can handle more than 4 HD DVRs. So it sounds like you've overloaded yours by adding the 5th.

3. jmf243

jmf243 Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Pine Grove...
    No, the bedroom receiver is on its own 5lnb SWM dish

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    OK, then... what are your coax lengths?
    These are close to the max.

[​IMG]

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Make sure it's something easily overlooked like a splitter connecting to another splitter. I've seen this happen before and so the second dish isn't really being used. 771A means that your receiver is not recognizing the SWM. So if you're wiring is ok just run a system test. Resetting your PI will remove the error temporarily but it will come back once the receiver tries to detect the SWM again.

6. jmf243

jmf243 Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Pine Grove...

The run from the 4 port splitter in the basement to the play room on the second floor is unlikely to be more than 150' but I don't know for sure as I'm using the preexisting single runs in a 5 year old house.

I've tripple checked the splitters. The bedroom is completely seperate from the other 4 receivers on its own dish.

7. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Out of curiosity, why did you go the second dish route vice a SWM16?

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Is the unused port on the splitter terminated?

9. jmf243

jmf243 Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Pine Grove...

I had the extra dish laying around and an extra pole in the ground so I used it instead of purchasing a new LNB and a SWM 16 switch.

All unused ports are terminated.

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Did you run the system test?

11. jmf243

jmf243 Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Pine Grove...
    No, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot and reort back with the results.

12. jmf243

jmf243 Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Pine Grove...
    I ran a system test and it came back as not enough SWM channels. I double checked my wiring and there are only 4 HD DVRs on the system with a 5 HD DVR on a completely separate dish. I think the LNB may be bad. I placed the play room reciever on the other SWM dish with the bedroom receiver and everything is working as it should. I have no clue as to why I'm getting error messages at only one location in my house off of the main SWM. My only theory is that the longer cable run causes the apparent fault in the LNB to appear.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Take a look at the setup menu/SAT levels/SWM.
    There should be 9 channels displayed.
    Each tuner connected can "take" a channel and cause it to show a zero on the setup screen of another receiver.
    If you put ALL receivers on this setup screen, you should have no zeros.
    What are the numbers you have?
    Monitor this receiver's screen and then exit the setup menu on another receiver and recheck "this" receiver's screen. Did one or two zeros appear?
    One by one, have each receiver exit the setup menu and monitor the SWM screen.
    What did you see?

14. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    um....thats an easy one....

a 4 way splitter can only do 5 tuners

you need an 8 way splitter, which can do 9 tuners 9 ( i have tried 10, it dont work)

15. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Please tell me your not serious or are in any way, shape or form involved in training others.

The number of ports on a splitter have NOTHING to do with the number of tuners it can support. A 4 way splitter can easily support 4 dvrs for a total of 8 tuners.

Whoever is telling you otherwise is incompetent, an idiot, woefully misinformed or some combination of all three.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    a trifecta

Seriously there isn't an ounce of truth in that post. :nono:

Someone hasn't made the change from the old legacy switches and the Single Wire (i) Multi-switch which uses splitters.

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I just love it when a guy posts something ludicrous and he only had 5 Posts here and he doesn't have a Clue about what he is talking about but just wants people to think he knows stuff!!! AMAZING!!!

18. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I've heard the "a 4-way splitter can do 4 tuners", but I've never heard the "4-way can do 5 tuners." Is the myth now:

total tuner count = splitter ports + 1 :lol:

As VOS and RobertE have mentioned already this is nowhere near the truth, and is honestly sad that these myths continue to be so pervasive...

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Then there was the one":
    You need to use "every other" port on a splitter, when connecting DVRs with two tuners. :eek2: :nono2: :nono:

20. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Never said 5 tuners wouldn't work on a 4-way. The problem is that you believe a 4-way equals 5 tuners when you can get 8 tuners on a 4-way (in addition to believing you can get 9 tuners on an 8-way.) Seems someone needs to re-read the manual :rolleyes:

Believe it or not there's a whole home DVR coming which has 5 internal tuners and you can use all 5 without a single splitter :eek2:
    In case you're not paying attention this means that splitters have nothing to do with tuner count... ;)