1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UNC-Duke on CBS-TV Sunday : We might miss start of game!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Bob Heymann, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1 of 75
    Bob Heymann

Bob Heymann AllStar

Jan 29, 2007
    CBS has allocated only two hours for the Missouri Valley Conference Championship game. It has been scheduled for the 2-4 PM EST window and our game has been slated to start at 4PM. If the Valley game runs long (which is what happened two years ago with the game preceding ours), we will miss the tip-off.

This should be completely unacceptable to both UNC, Duke and their respective fans.

For many of us, this is like starting the broadcast of the Superbowl after the kick-off.

There are a couple of alternatives for CBS that I hope they would consider.

If the Valley game runs long, CBS could show the start of our game on their CBS College Sports Network.

Another option would be to show the start of our game on the DirecTV channels (728, 729, or 730) which have been showing the alternative regional basketball games that are not shown on the local over-the-air CBS affiliate.

In any event, we need to make our feelings known to CBS now, and not at 4PM this Sunday when all we can do is yell at our TV!!!!!

2. Mar 3, 2009 #2 of 75
    Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    Ok. I am in favor of taking action in order not to miss the start of this game. What do you recommend? Calling the local cbs affiliate? I need to know what I should do.

3. Mar 3, 2009 #3 of 75
    Bob Heymann

Bob Heymann AllStar

Jan 29, 2007
    Since the local affiliates don't have control of this programming, call Sean McManus at CBS in New York. He is the President of CBS News and Sports. And he went to dook!!!!!!

4. Mar 3, 2009 #4 of 75
    mikewsu

mikewsu AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    I imagine your regional CBS will switch out of the MVC championship game if it runs longer than 2 hours.

And don't forget to set your clock on Sunday, or you might miss the tip anyways. :D

5. Mar 3, 2009 #5 of 75
    erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    As the father of a son at Illinois State (who may make it to the MVC final), I really don’t care if I miss the tip-off to an ACC game.

Generally speaking, I'd rather miss the tip off, than the end, of a college basketball game.

Go REDBIRDS!!!:hurah:

6. Mar 3, 2009 #6 of 75
    rrrick8

rrrick8 Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2007
    What makes the Duke/NC game any more special than any other? You compared it to the Super Bowl. GMAB!

95% of the country could not care less about that game. No reason to allot it any more time than any other college game.

Check your ego.

7. Mar 3, 2009 #7 of 75
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm a big UNC fan, but could care less if I miss the start. The conference title game before it is way more important than a regular season game.

8. Mar 3, 2009 #8 of 75
    tvman1

tvman1 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    It's just Duke and NC. Everyone knows Duke stands no chance. Might want to check 728 or 729 they sometimes show games when their is split national coverage.

9. Mar 3, 2009 #9 of 75
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'm looking forward to the Duke/UNC game, but also agree with the above.

10. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Well then "many of you" need to get a grip. Missing the opening minutes of a regular-season basketball game is nothing like missing the kick-off of the Superbowl.

11. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    In a real good game, the last 5 minutes are the most important. In a blow out, I look for something else to watch.

12. lowmazda

lowmazda Legend

Jul 11, 2007
    A game this important must be seen in PERSON. You wont miss a second of the high powered action.

13. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008
    Well, stop the world from spinning & let all the Tar Heel & Blue Devils fans jump off becuase they actually might miss a game tipoff. How could we possibly think that someone out there ACTUALLY MIGHT want to see the conculsion of a conference championship game that they've been watching for 2 hours. The world really has gotten smaller. People must've been FILLED WITH JOY in 1968 when they got to see HIEDI tip off because NBC switched out of the Jets\Radiers game preventing people from seem one of the greatest comebacks ever.

There are options. They could do the NCAA Tournament\NFL type of thing & switch the local market out & the rest of the country could see the end of the game, which in that time frame may be an OT thriller.

14. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    This thread=funny.

I knew the OP was going to get ripped as soon as saw the thread title. Good times.

15. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Legend

Jul 29, 2004
    +1

16. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    It's not the first few minutes of any game that matter, it's the last ones. :D

Won't HC and Duke agree to delaying the tip off until live coverage begins?

If it is that important to yo maybe you should just go to the game.

17. nitty316

nitty316 Legend

Aug 27, 2008
    Barring OT, it won't be an issue. I can't remember a Valley Title game lasting longer than 2 hours. Go Jays.

18. Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    I'm starting to tear up thinking about the plight of Dook and UNC fans.

And yes, Valley games tend to move quickly.

19. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    At least in a football game, interesting things can happen in the first few minutes. In a basketball game, nothing interesting will happen in the first few minutes.

20. ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7 Godfather

Apr 2, 2003
    It's nice to see you spelled Dook correctly. ;)

I like college BB, but would prefer to see the end of a game. I usually don't even turn it on until 1/2 way through the first half. Locally, WRAL could always put the Dook/UNC tip on the sub-channel.