1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unclear how Mediashare Works

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by woodardhsd, Jul 8, 2010.

1. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    I got my DECA install finished today after a second install, see this thread for that: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=179978
    All my DECA's are connected, all have green lights, the receivers say they are connected to the internet, but I'm have a few problems. I've got DirecTV2PC working, but am having trouble using the mediashare feature.

I can go to mediashare under the main menu:
    [​IMG]

The receiver finds my computer, it even see's some videos, but some have X's next to them.

[​IMG]

But the ones with the video camera symbol wont play either.

[​IMG]

Do I need to try one of these programs?
    TVersity
    Twonky
    MediaTomb (Linux and Mac)
    Playon

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Get Tversity set up on your PC. It'll transcode those videos, like Big Love, to play to your HR2x.

3. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    installing now.

Should those videos with a camera beside them play without having to install TVersity?

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Probably not. Tversity plays a lot, unless they're very high bitrates. It looks like you enjoy torrents, so you'll be set. Be warned, you can't FFW, REW, etc with media share movies. Honestly, the HR2x aren't great for media streaming.

5. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I would say mediashare is not very good at all. I tried it but ended up getting a acer revo for a htpc that runs Boxee. If you have a spare pc/mac laying around definately go that way. You will be much happier.

I seem to remember that you could not even pause a movie using mediashare. If you did, it would not start correctly.

6. Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    Yea, sadly, Media Share is pretty terrible. As mentioned, pausing a movie is just asking for trouble. You're better off streaming through an Xbox 360 or something along those lines.

7. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    Still having trouble with it, even with TVersity. I'm new to this whole networking mess, so I'll forget about it for a while to see D* makes any improvements to it.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If you convert the video to MPEG2, with a bitrate of ~5 Mbps or less, it should play fairly well. Transport stream (TS) is required if the audio is DD5.1. My Samsung Blu-ray player does a much better job, however I use media share to view videos on my other TV.