1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexpected Error(14)???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Agrajag, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agrajag

Agrajag Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    Two weeks in a row now I get up to find I don't have the lasted episode of The Sopranos. The To Do list was fine. No conflicts. Then History tells me "Canceled" and something to the effect of, "This show was partially recorded due to an unexpected error (14)."

What the heck is that???

This is a manual recording on Sunday at 9pm on channel 70.

This is MAJOR. I just did a quick check (sorry, I was a bit under the gun when I wrote the first entry) and find several people reporting this for some time now. What is DirecTV's response to this? This is entirely unacceptable. When the DVR fails to record a show it fails at its prime purpose. This sort of problem should be at the very top of the list of things to fix yet no one seems to be getting any kind of feedback what-so-ever that this is even on the radar screen.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005

Of course it is on the radar screen...
    And in fact is one of the primary things that they are focused on makeing sure is fixed.

But as the message pointed out... it failed for an unkown reason.
    Why did it fail for you both times? Don't know.

And yes... it is on the top of things to fixed, as it has been for a while.
    And yes... it is has significantly improved over the 8 months, but there are still cases that it fails for what ever reason.

3. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA

This did happen to me too. What cured it for me was removing the series link and re-entering it. Not saying it won't happen again with a different show. But for me (knocks on wood) it hasn't happened again.

4. Agrajag

Agrajag Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    Two things:

1) Earl, thanks for the update. Great to hear. I just hadn't seen you post in any of the threads I ran across. I suspect you did and I just didn't find those threads. Thus the perception created was that this just wasn't being seen as a big deal. Glad to hear it is. I am, as I've said before, incredibly impressed with the attention DirecTV is giving this box. I wish they'd do the same for my R15's but I have hope they'll take all this work and apply it there someday.

2) I have at least 8 other manual recordings and none of them have failed even once, including recording "The Daily Show" via 4 manual recordings (one each day Monday to Thursday).

I'll try removing the current recording and re-entering it. The most troubling aspect of this is the unknown error part. Surely DirecTV has a better idea of what happened than just "unknown". I'll keep my fingers crossed.

5. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I'm still curious as to what the darn numbers mean. Instead of an unexpected error 14, I think the one I got when my machine missed a recording of the Daily Show about a week ago was number 3, but otherwise the same message about a partial recording. Are the different error numbers supposed to be telling us something?

By the way, in fairness to my machine, this is the only occasion I can remember in months that it actually missed a recording. So even though it's clearly a very serious problem, I don't mean to suggest it's one I've had frequently.

6. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    I got a similar message which made no sense since I was watching the same channel on another receiver at the time it was supposed to be recording on this DVR: This episode was partially recorded because the channel became unavailable. (6)

7. c152driver

c152driver Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    Just to chime in... I'm having the same issue. Except my manual recording always fails trying to record the Simpsons on Sundays at 7:00.

Oddly I've never had a problem with my manual recording for South Park.

It's been an issue since I got my HR-20 in January.

8. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    I just thought to double check on why I've been having this same problem, for the same show. The Simpsons, manual recording (since the guide data from FOX seems to always be the same lame stuff that results in the syndicated shows getting recorded all the time) which doesn't work.

Unexpected error 14. That's pretty unhelpful to me, but perhaps the symptoms matching others might help to get some more datapoints in for resolving the problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.