unintentional DX moment...

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by akron05, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Nov 8, 2006 #1 of 19
    akron05

akron05 Legend

Dec 14, 2005
    I am in Akron, Ohio. Have a standard medium-sized UHF/VHF combo antenna on this particular TV. For about 90 seconds this evening I recieved a snowy but watchable analog Channel 12 ABC affiliate, I didn't get a good look but I believe it was WJRT in Flint/Saginaw, MI. Does any more experienced DX-er know if this would have been an e-skip or what?

I can't get it now, it only came in for about a minute. I do get a faint ABC on Channel 13 still though, that I usually don't get.

2. Nov 8, 2006 #2 of 19
    akron05

akron05 Legend

Dec 14, 2005
    An update -

It is WJRT. I moved the antenna around a bit and it's completely watchable. I also get a CTV affiliate on Channel 13, I am assuming CKCO in Kitchener, Ontario, and an unidentified station on Channel 7 that seems to be an ABC affiliate.

Very cool stuff!

3. Nov 9, 2006 #3 of 19
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
  4. Nov 9, 2006 #4 of 19
    akron05

akron05 Legend

Dec 14, 2005
    The other one is WXYZ Channel 7 Detroit. That one's coming in now.

5. Nov 9, 2006 #5 of 19
    churoval

churoval AllStar

Aug 2, 2005
    Yes, it's very cool when it happens. When I used to live in Central New York, I once spent an evening watching about half a dozen channels from Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama using a pair of rabbit ears.

6. Nov 9, 2006 #6 of 19
    jhamps10

jhamps10 AllStar

Sep 27, 2005
    yes it is very cool when it happens. Earlier this summer at around noon I watched the news from charleston, sc on a friend's rabbit ears. It was cool.

7. Nov 9, 2006 #7 of 19
    Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    TV DXing can be a lot of fun unless it's the only way one has of receiving tv
    programming, then it's subject to the erratic, unpredictable vagaries of that
    tropical forest thing. What really worries me is when DXing the bounce off
    of Alpha Centauri brings in a snowy b&w image of Cronkite delivering the
    nightly news.

My latest in-the-wild adventure is DXing the wireless FM modulation signals
    from other vehicles on the expressway. With a deft tap of the scan button on
    my car's el krapo KMart radidio, on a good day I can purloin illicit XM signals
    from other vehicles as far as three lanes away!

Perhaps we should delete this thread quickly lest the DMA Nazis down at
    the FCC/NAB find out what we are up to. :eek:

8. akron05

akron05 Legend

Dec 14, 2005
    WHAT A NIGHT FOR DXing!!! I am NOT an experienced DX'er at all...so I don't know if it's tropo ducting, e-skip or what, but I've gotten stuff on almost every station on the dial tonight...

I have NOT MOVED my rooftop antenna, and from Akron, OH am getting (all analog):

-WGRZ Channel 2, ABC, Buffalo
    -WDIV NBC, Channel 4, Detroit
    -WKBW ABC 7, Buffalo, might also be WXYZ Detroit, also an ABC on Channel 7
    -CBET Channel 9, CBC, Windsor, Ontario
    -CTFO Toronto, CTV, Channel 10
    -WBKB Channel 11, CBS, Alpena, MI
    -WJRT Channel 12, ABC, Flint, MI
    -CJOH Channel 13, Ottawa, Ontario CTV (this one is as crystal-clear as my locals and has been for several hours now)
    -WNED Channel 17, PBS Buffalo (OVER TOP of WDLI in Canton, it's overpowering it and I don't see WDLI at all!)
    -WDJT-TV Channel 58, CBS, Milwaukee (for about a minute or so)
    -WWJ CBS 62, Detroit
    -Presumably CJMT-TV Channel 69 in Toronto

I also got blips of several other stations, mostly Canadian ones on the UHF dial that I couldn't find online, I think they may have been translators of the above ones.

9. S.C. Am

S.C. Am Mentor

Jul 27, 2004
  10. akron05

akron05 Legend

Dec 14, 2005
    You're probably right - but it seems Canadian stations are much worse for Station ID than US stations generally are.

11. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Oh what I would do if I could get Hockey Night in Canada in Dallas..... :)

12. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    Has anyone seen Digital DX?

--- CHAS

13. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I remember when I lived in Ohio in the 60's getting Florida and Cuba stations on good skip days. I took pictures of the station id's and showed them to my science teacher.

He did not believe me and said I must have taken the pictures while in Florida. :(

14. akron05

akron05 Legend

Dec 14, 2005
  15. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    As far as Toronto there's as channel 41, 47 and 57. 41 is the Global affiliate, I forget what 47 is and 57 is the famous CITY TV. CHCH out of Hamilton is channel 11. A few years ago on Sundays if the weather was right I could pick up Canadian stations from all over, including one from Ottawa. It was great, I got 90% of NFL Sunday Ticket for free, including blacked out Bills games. It was pretty cool. I wonder if I could get Akron stations here in Buffalo :D

16. akron05

akron05 Legend

Dec 14, 2005
    The good tropo conditions are gone. Got nothing outside the ordinary last night, and in fact a couple locals were a bit less reliable than usual.

17. STEVED21

STEVED21 Godfather

Feb 6, 2006
    You can get the NHL Center Ice package. They show HNIC every week.

18. akron05

akron05 Legend

Dec 14, 2005
    A friend of mine in Parma just informed me he was getting WWJ and WDIV DT Wednesday night perfectly for about an hour.

19. akron05

akron05 Legend

Dec 14, 2005
    Weird day.

Still no better than usual getting Youngstown, but I'm getting WICU in Erie (analog) almost as clear as a local station. NOTHING else this clear, none of the other Erie stations, nothing but a faint shadow from Channels 4 and 11 in Pittsburgh.

Last night I was getting a watchable signal from WTVG and WTOL in Toledo (Ch. 13 and 11) but nothing today.

Seems this mild tropo event is mostly benefiting VHF only. Last time a couple weeks ago I was getting a lot of distant UHF's too, but not this time.