1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal HD Channel Bye-Bye

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by davenportbuzz, Jun 15, 2017.

1. davenportbuzz

davenportbuzz New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just got an email from Dtv saying that Universal is dropping their HD channel completely, so starting on July 14 it will no longer be in with the HD Extra Pack. So then... does this mean the cost for that package will go down a bit since we won't be getting the Universal channel now...?

crodrules likes this.
  2. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    see this....NBC to launch Olympic Channel in July, replaces Universal HD

3. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    Here is the email that went out.
    "We hope you're enjoying your DIRECTV service. Since you have the DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK, we wanted you to know that there will be a change in this TV package.

Starting on July 14, 2017, the Universal HD channel will no longer be available. NBC Universal, a parent company to Universal HD, has decided to permanently cancel this channel.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and want to thank you for choosing us for your entertainment experience. "

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    That article is misleading. The Olympic Channel isn't exactly replacing Universal HD.

NBCU is just using the C-band slots of Universal HD for the HD feed, and Esquire East SD for the SD feed. All providers who currently carry either channel aren't automatically getting the Olympic Channel without a new deal. (Compared to rebrands where everyone automatically got the replacement like H2 -> Viceland, The Hub -> Discovery Family, ABC Family -> Freeform, Palladia -> MTV Live, Speed -> FS1, the upcoming Sprout -> Universal Kids, etc)

Last I heard, only DirecTV, U-Verse, Verizon FiOS, Comcast, Optimum, Spectrum and some smaller providers that are members of one of the co-ops are on board for it, as well as streaming services DirecTV Now, Fubo, Hulu, YouTube and PS Vue. As of now Dish, Cox, Sling and Frontier are not on board.

For those wondering, DirecTV will be carrying the Olympic Channel in both HD and SD on channel 624. I don't know what package yet, but based on the subscriber count NBCU mentioned in the release, it's probably going to be in Xtra or Ultimate.

EDIT: Verizon FiOS is placing it on channel 91 in SD and 591 in HD. So another provider who isn't just giving it Universal HD's old channel number.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  5. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Speed -> FS1 was going to be a new deal but fox was forced to keep it for the most part (I think they forced it out of sports packs) under the old speed deals due to push back.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    That was an entirely different animal...

7. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    I think that's a mix of new plus rebranding where Fuel -> FS2 was a straight rebrand

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Rebrands can be complicated. In the case of FS1 and FS2 they wanted to kill the old carriage and get ESPN level payment for their new general sports networks. The cable and satellite companies had different plans. Fox was under contract to deliver Speed and had prepared a special feed of programming (reruns) that would have met the minimum standard definition for "Speed". When FS1 went live it was mostly a rebrand ... with the cable and satellite companies accepting the change in content not meeting the contracted channels and Fox accepting a lower payment. In the grand scheme it was better to have FS1 launch in the number of homes Speed had instead of very few homes.

With the failure to get carriers to pay ESPN prices for FS1, Fox followed the rebrand route for FS2 as well. Changing tiers was the challenge for FS2 to get it in the same packages as FS1. Years have passed and now the channels are carried more widely.

9. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    I think FS2 was always going to be a rebrand the issues getting FS1 carried had nothing to do with that decision

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    FS1 was announced in March (2013) with the launch in August. The announcement is an interesting look back at what they planned for the channel vs what was actually launched and what remains four years later.
    FOX Sports 1 announces Aug. launch | FOX Sports

FS2 was more of a leak than an announced launch - although both channels were "the worst kept secret". I remember in the days before launch being able to look forward at the schedule for FS1 on Zap2It (Tribune Media data) and seeing the "Speed" channel lineup for cable systems that refused carriage of FS1. Still working out deals.

The Fox Soccer > FXX rebrand was also part of the programming shifts Fox made that fall.

11. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    What was FX Movie rebranded from or was that a new channel

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    That never really rebranded, it just altered its name over time:
    FX:M: Movies from Fox -> Fox Movie Channel -> FXM

boukengreen likes this.
  13. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Oh no where will people go to for Saturday night reruns of WWE RAW and WWE Smackdown? ;)

boukengreen likes this.
  14. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    just don't put it on the scifi channel last time it killed stargate.

15. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    I believe that decision was done by Bonnie Hammer who was too afraid of the USA Network turning into WWE central so she felt SyFy was the best place for Smackdown.

16. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    so one less channel in the extra pack.. Does this mean the pack will now be eliminated? what is going to happen to the extra pack because they have channels my wife cannot live without..

17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I doubt the loss of one channel will eliminate HD Extra Pack or cause your wife to need to go on life support.

18. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    What our local cable company did to add value to their version of the HD Extra pack, is they added all of the .tv channels from Byron Allen's Entertainment Studios. It's 8 HD channels (DirectTV carries 2 of those). AFAIK its second rate, repetitive programming. I guess they decided to add something to sit alongside Smithsonian, MTV Live, Velocity.

I think DirecTV should just do away with HD Extra, or make it worth it by adding Epix channels in with it.