1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Mulls 24-Hour Music Satellite Channel

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 1, 2004 #1 of 17
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Universal Music Group, the world's largest record company, and EchoStar Communications, owner of the direct-broadcast satellite service Dish Network, are in talks to form a 24-hour music channel, according to sources.

Andy Schuon -- former head of music programing at MTV and VH1 and a veteran of radio chain Infinity Broadcasting and the digital music service Pressplay (once part-owned by Universal and now part of Roxio's Napster) -- is reportedly working with Universal on the development of the channel.

A spokesman for Vivendi Universal-owned Universal, whose acts include Eminem, U2, Jay-Z, Shania Twain and Bon Jovi, could not be reached for comment. EchoStar declined comment.

More

2. Dec 1, 2004 #2 of 17
    BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    It really should be noted that it would be a music television channel, it makes a big difference ;) When I first read it I though, geez as if they don't have enough audio channels, but then I read some more and it makes sense :)

3. Dec 1, 2004 #3 of 17
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    For all that, E* could just start carrying The Tube (http://www.thetubetv.com/), one of the best things about North American Free-To-Air right now.

But I'm guessing the deal involves emphasizing (exclusively?) Universal acts in a channel paid for mostly (exclusively?) by Universal. In exchange for providing the bandwidth, E* gets a slice of ad revenue or just bragging rights to another channel. Again, that's just my wild guess.

4. Dec 1, 2004 #4 of 17
    mattb

mattb Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    They could also add MTV Hits which is nothing but videos! Ive seen this on Digital Cable and they dont show the long form shows that MTV-1 does.

5. Dec 1, 2004 #5 of 17
    zman977

zman977 Godfather

Nov 8, 2003
    As long as they play some cheesy 80's videos, I'm all for it.

6. Dec 1, 2004 #6 of 17
    maddawg

maddawg AllStar

Jan 25, 2003
    zman977, get the tube and you will be fully satisfied with those cheesy videos.

7. Dec 1, 2004 #7 of 17
    DWS44

DWS44 Legend

Apr 14, 2004
    I wish they would add MTV Hits...I used to have it on digital cable as well. Same for VH1 Country...both channels are all videos and no stupid shows. CMT has gone the MTV-VH1 route and rarely shows videos...and now there countdown shows are starting doing little snippets of the videos instead of playing them in their entirety. GAC appeared to be starting down that route (i.e. more shows as opposed to just videos) as well before I dropped the 180 package a few months back.

A side thought though...if E* and Universal are getting so cozy, perhaps it will lead us to getting the UniversalHD channel, too!

8. Dec 1, 2004 #8 of 17
    BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I don't think they should add MTV-Hits. Why should satellite have to carry another MTV channel because MTV refuses to play music on the channel they already have.

9. Dec 1, 2004 #9 of 17
    ds650

ds650 Legend

Nov 27, 2004
    more options! That's why.
    I'd like to VH1 Country too. maybe even VH1 soul, just to have it.

10. DWS44

DWS44 Legend

Apr 14, 2004
    HUH?!? Thats like saying we shouldn't "have to have" ESPN2, because they chose to carry <insert sport here> on the main ESPN channel instead of whatever different sport! :rolleyes: I may not necessarily like the content on MTV, but that doesnt mean that everyone else dislikes it as well.

11. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Those other MTV and VH-1 channels are nothing but repeats. I would watch the same channel the next night at the same time and they whould show the very same music videos in the very same order and even repeat them that same night just as they did the night before. Some of the new music videos got old FAST!

12. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    MTV2 was supposed to be the all videos channel but now it's just a dumpoff for old MTV shows.

13. Marcyjok

Marcyjok Mentor

Dec 3, 2003
    well I am from Europe so I have diffrent point of view what should be content of real music television, u may dont like my oppinion but I think that MTV USA sucks big time, they loosed their fresh impact known from 80s and beggining of 90s , in Europe "MTV Europe" is still like it used to be 10 yrs ago, I mean they play MUSIC and some shows not like here 100% BS shows like Ozzbourns showing degenerated "familly"
    In Europe when u watch videos u can see all kinds of music: pop hiphop soul dance techno house rock heavy metal etc. In USA only hiphop and rock ops sorry one hour of dance music on MTV2 USA... Isn it FANTASTIC? real freedom of choice. In Europe viewers of satelite tv can recive about over 20 music tv channels playing various kinds of music from all around the world, here ??? answer is very easy, MTV MTV2 VH1 VH1Classic BET CMT, where only MTV2 plays music other are show channels mostly
    I wish from all my heart if you guys could see for one month MTV Europe or TMC or Viva TV from Germany and compare it to USA channels...
    so I pray about new music tv and universal values that they want to spread using music
    comments are welcomed , I will be happy to discuss it.

14. ds650

ds650 Legend

Nov 27, 2004
    Ever watch Fuse TV?

Yeah I agree MTV is nothing more than a more popular BET. It's sick really the way they peddle rap & hiphop & their liberal values.

BTW, being from Europe I have to tell you, "The Darkness" rocks! Those guys are the coolest.

15. Don't forget Universal's HUGE movie library. There is a strong relationship between the two companies.... look for a Universal Movie Channel if they get the music channel launched.

Who knew Charlie was a Rocker?

16. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I just mainly watch the countdowns, that pretty well takes care of what I watch on there in the way of music videos.

17. NThomas76207

NThomas76207 AllStar

Jul 30, 2004
    Hey guys aren't you all forgeting a set of channels in the 6000s...

SIRIUS is great if you want only music but, I too wish E* had MTV Hits, MTV Jams, & VH1 Country...

I can dream right? haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.