1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Remote Control (URC Co.) and HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by travelswiss, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 5, 2007 #1 of 14
    travelswiss

travelswiss AllStar

Oct 24, 2006
    For those of you out there with URC remotes and the HR20: do they play well together? What about the 30 second slip and 6 sec rewind? Are there buttons that are easy to use find for these functions? The current all in one remote I use is clunky and while I need 455 khz I'll give it up for something that will easily control the box I use the most- my HR20.

Thanks,

TS

2. Feb 5, 2007 #2 of 14
    john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    There are a lot of threads about this. Go back a few pages of topics and you will find all that you can handle.

p.s. - A lot of us use universal remotes.

3. Feb 5, 2007 #3 of 14
    travelswiss

travelswiss AllStar

Oct 24, 2006
    Thanks, I read all threads before posting, but what I did not find is what buttons are being used for 30 second slip and 6 second rewind which is why I asked the question.

4. Feb 5, 2007 #4 of 14
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I have the mx-700.. just set a button on the lcd screen at the top.. I have one screen for playback and one for recordings..

5. Feb 5, 2007 #5 of 14
    travelswiss

travelswiss AllStar

Oct 24, 2006
    Thanks, do you find the lcd button to be cumbersome compared to a hard key? I currently use an lcd button on my Philips, and I find myself going back to the remote that came with the HR20 for ease of use. Thanks for your help.

6. Feb 5, 2007 #6 of 14
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    nope, I added all the buttons I use for a specific task (rec/play) to separate menus so I just use them up top.. it has 4 pages avalible so lots of room..

7. Feb 5, 2007 #7 of 14
    john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    I'm sorry, I misunderstood the question then. My Harmony 880 has buttons which works fine on the trick play functions. I added buttons for the Delete function and each of the four colors.

8. 247

247 New Member

Mar 24, 2008
    I just bought the URC-R6 to use with my HR21-700 and have the same issues. I also cannot get the 30 second slip and 6 sec rewind commands two work. I've tried everything.. fresh batteries in the old and new remotes.. using code 173 programmed in the Cable/Sat function.. and learn method. I was able to get the R6 to learn others such as list, red, green, yellow buttons so I know my method is OK. I send an email to their tech support asking for help. Now we wait.

9. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    I use a URC MX3000 remote with my HR20. It's part of their professional line series touchscreen remotes. It's an awesome remote. I have created customized touchscreens for all the trick play buttons (30 second skip, skip back, FF, RW, etc, etc. and it works great. I also use URC's MRF 350, which uses narrow band RF for the remote and converts everything to IR for the equipment in the media closet. Also, works very nicely.

10. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I have been using the R6 on my HR21-700 for several weeks now. In fact I use it to control two HR21-700s. The first one uses the Sat 173 code on the Audio component, and I learned last=list -skip=-skip skip+=+skip yellow=yelow blue=blue red=red green=green.

The second HR21-700 is set up to respond to the AV1 position of the DirecTV remote, so I had to learn all the keys including power. It is set up on the AUX component of the R6.

When you set up a learn function on the R6, don't hold down the key on the DirecTV remote. Only tap it and you should have success. Also, I found that it is best to do the learn function where there is no direct light hitting the remotes. It doesn't need to be real dark, but I had the best success on the floor next to a large chair.

For $20 I think the R6 is a great remote. I use it to control my TV, a ReplayTV, an HR10-250, two HR21-700s and a DVD player.

11. Jimmmmbo!

Jimmmmbo! Mentor

May 30, 2007
    I have the MX-900 Genesis. Slip-skip and rewind work fine for me. I also seem to remember needing to press the original remote's key very quickly to help it learn correctly.

I also have to do the "hold 3-sec, then release and press again" trick to get it to do jump-to-tick and jump-to-end/beginning.

12. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I have an R6 and I set up the skip and color buttons the same way without any problems. I'm using it for my TV, HR20, Receiver and DVD player and it works great.

Dennis

13. 247

247 New Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Interesting. My R6 won't learn a command for -skip and +skip on Cab/Sat mode. Sounds like you were able to learn these but on a different mode. What exact buttons on the HR21-700 did you press for -/+ skip on the R6?

I'd like to set as follows:
    R6 -skip = HR21-700 6 sec replay
    R6 +skip = HR21-700 30 sec commerical skip -->|

Can someone see if they can program the R6 Input = List on Cab/Sat mode?

Much obliged! Dwayne

14. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I tried to program the Cab/Sat key for code 173 and it works just fine to control my HR21-700. I learned the -skip and +skip keys by doing the following:

1. Press and hold CBL and Enter key on R6 until CBL light comes on.
    2. With R6 and DirecTV remote pointed at each other about 2 inches apart,
    press skip+ key on R6.
    3. Tap 30 sec commercial skip key on DirecTV remote.
    4. press skip- key on R6.
    5. Tap 6 sec replay key on DirecTV remote.
    6. Press CBL and Enter key on R6. Light blinks twice & goes out.

If that does not work, you may have a bad R6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.