Universal remote for audio

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by billliken16, Feb 5, 2019.

1. billliken16

billliken16 New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    I'm low tech so maybe this is an easy one.

My DirecTv remote is RC73. I'm trying to have it learn the code to control my Sony audio receiver. My setup is a projector for TV and the audio goes through the Sony receiver.

My remote will control the DirecTv power and channels but not the audio. I've tried all the programming codes for Sony but no luck. Is this because of the way I'm setup? If the DirecTv remote won't contol the audio, I'm assuming I need a universal remote. If that's the case, I need one that will program through walls to reach the receiver which is contained in a media room, if anyone could recommend a remote for my situation.

Hopefully I described this correctly.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I use a Sony AVR with my Genie and don't have any problems. My remotes all use the RF option which can go thru walls. Have you tried reprogramming the RC73? I use the same remote.

Rich

3. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    This should be doable.

I was able to get an RC71 to control a two-and-a-half-decade old analog AVR (volume and mute only) and still retain its ability to RF to the HR44.

Sadly, I did not write down how it was done. I just remember following the on-screen instructions of the HR44.

One thing about the DirecTV remotes is that they do require a TV to be programmed into them before you can program any other devices.

Also I remember being tripped-up a couple times by not specifically following an instruction (I think I was hitting the wrong key, like "select" where I was supposed to be hitting "enter" or something like that).

4. billliken16

billliken16 New Member

Feb 5, 2019

I tried following the on screen setup to program my Sony receiver. However each Sony code that was attempted (I think there were like 35 of them) were unsuccessful. I'll give it another go. Hopefully its a clerical error like the one the other poster said tripped him up. Glad to hear you had succcess.

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's how I set my AVR up with the 44. Don't recall having any problems.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That Sony AVR isn't a brand new one, is it? I do remember seeing a difference in buttons that had to be pushed to get the AVR connected properly. IIRC, instead of using the Select button as we did on the older remotes you have to use the Enter button on least one step. Again, IIRC.

Rich

7. billliken16

billliken16 New Member

Feb 5, 2019

I think this might be my issue? I don't have a traditional TV setup, the video goes through a projector.

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Did you go through the steps and is the remote controlling the power for the projector? Just follow the continuation to set up audio. And use the Enter key.

What is the model of your Sony?

Rich likes this.
  9. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I should have mentioned that although the remote does have to have a TV programmed into it first, it can be any TV.

It doesn't matter to the remote - it just needs a TV to be programmed before any other devices.

In my situation I didn't want it to turn off my set with the DVR, so I set it for a different set in another room.