Univision

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Oct 22, 2018.

1. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Any updates on the Univision issue? I am wondering as Dish still has the (local) channel lit up with the message in Spanish. Does it look like the service will return? If there was no chance, I presume Dish would have removed the slate and the position would be gone.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    no changes, waiting for official info ...

3. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    it's gonna be years before Univision returns to Dish cause Univision is suing Dish in court and lawsuits take years to finally go to court or get settled out of court.

4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    That is what I thought. Then, why hasn't Dish just dropped the channels completely from the data base? I would think having those channels there just keeps the customers thinking the channel will return.

5. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I just looked through the guide in the area where Univision was and saw a different Spanish channel. The channel appeared several times in a row in both SD and HD and on two adjacent channels. One of the SD channels was in the guide but blocked with a "0/" (the slash goes through the 0). What's up with that and what channel is it?

6. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Local 16 in Portland and 51 in Seattle both have the slide up in Spanish.So Dish is still using Transponder space.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH will keep the space set aside for locals due to the carriage laws. The slate you are seeing is probably a national feed from a shared CONUS channel.

The scorched earth approach to the national channels (replacing content with new channels) leads me to believe that there will not be a quick resolution.

8. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    How do a carriage rules work? I know there are some local channels that Dish does not carry in each market. Dish does not carry sub channels in most markets. There are a few exceptions I know like AK & HI.

9. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They have to offer carriage to the primary signals of all full power stations. How that is done either through free must carry status or retrans consent payment negotations. Subchannel carriage is strictly optional, so Dish and DirecTV usually limit it to subchannels that are affiliates with one of the networks. Carriage of low power and Class A stations are also optional and these stations cannot declare must carry status, so the instances where Dish and DirecTV carry -LP/-CD stations also only for ones affiliated with one of the networks. (i.e. in the NYC market DirecTV and Dish carry Azteca via WNYN-LD)

Alaska and Hawaii are exceptions, after long being neglected by both satellite providers, they now have to offer carriage of their subchannels too.

Also, Dish's carriage of national feeds of MeTV, Buzzr, Laff (via Blue Highways), etc is unrelated to rules for locals. Those are seperate deals with the owners of those networks. When cable carries subchannels, it's done via retrans consent deals with the local affiliate's owners. If you dig around the FCC public profiles site, some stations post heavily redacted versions of their contracts with subchannel networks including clauses about market exclusivity, while a few of the networks have exceptions that allow the network to directly negotiate with satellite providers because they are well aware that Dish and DirecTV don't have the spotbeam bandwidth to offer local carriage of all subchannels. (Especially in major markets where there can be as many as 50+ subchannels with all the independent and foreign language locals leasing their subchannels to no name pay to play networks)

10. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Thanks for the info. I wondered how it all worked. I know both Portland OR and Seattle markets all locals are not included.

11. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    There's always exceptions like Class A/Low Power stations, stations that neglected to declare their must carry/retrans consent election status this past cycle so they have to wait a few years for the next one, duplicate programming, stations that don't provide a strong enough signal to the local receive facility, etc.

Portland's full powered stations:
    KNMT - TBN station, they don't have to carry it because it's a TBN O&O and TBN's deal allows them to omit their O&O local feeds in favor of the national feed.

Seattle's full powered stations:
    KTBW - TBN station, same as above
    KWDK - never filed to declare their must carry status

Every other station I see missing from Dish's lookup tool for these markets are low power/class A stations or a duplicate PBS station that's part of a regional simulcast of another PBS station already carried.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Both full power Seattle PBS stations are carried on Dish (28 and 9). I think there is a channel 46 KUSE?) that is not carried, but they are probably not considered a full power station. On the other hand the Univision station in Portland KUNP(?) I think is not full power.

13. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    KUSE is a -LD station

KUNP's main signal on RF 16 is actually a full power station licensed to La Grande, OR which is part of the Portland DMA. Their -LD signal on RF 34 is just the Portland repeater.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  14. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Thanks. So the La Grande station is full power. I wondered, but I figured Dish has a Univision station in most larger markets.

15. GoLongAndChopChop881

GoLongAndChopChop881 Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    As of now, DISH recently dropped El Rey Network, Univision TlNovelas, Univision Deportes and Foro TV. What about Fusion?

16. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    For most providers, including Dish, Fusion is still under the Disney contract since it was done when it was still a joint venture with Disney handling the affiliate relations.

17. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Interesting the Portland & Seattle stations running Univision are not owned by Univision. So even though the stations are not O&O, we still lose them anyway?

18. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    those 2 stations are owned by Sinclair Broadcasting Group, i don't know why they were pulled unless Univision order Dish not to air the non-O&O Univision stations on Dish

Sent from my RCT6873W42M using Tapatalk

19. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    That must have been it. I don't know if the station would have refused, but probably some legal breach of contract. But if Univision does not want viewers, then they do not get them. But these companies that demand so much, why do they drop the channel and lose millions. All parties lose big time. They should negotiate without dropping the channel. That way everyone wins.

20. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Univision is one of the networks that negotiates on behalf of their affiliates like Azteca does. The Entravision owned affiliates are down too. They can do that because nearly the entire programming day is programed by the network, compared to the Big 6 where the network programming is usually limited to primetime as well as late night/evenings/daytime for the Big 3

KUNP's retrans consent notice in their public file contains the following:
    "We have made arrangements with Univision Communications Inc. for it to represent us in retransmission negotiations on behalf of the Station, which is an affiliate of the Univision or UniMas network."

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018