DBSTalk Forum banner

Unknown static IP on Win Server 2003

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  RasputinAXP 
#1 ·
I was just given a windows server 2003 machine, but have a problem...I don't know its IP address (I do know that it's a static IP though.) Unfortunetely, the server's graphics card is fried, so I can't just attach a monitor and obtain it. I could install a new card, but don't have one at present to do so.

If I can somehow obtain the IP I can RDC in, which is how I plan to manage the server anyway. Any idea how to discover the static IP (and no, I don't even know what subnet it might be on...)

#3 ·
If it is running DHCP you could plug a workstation and the server onto an isolated switch.

If you have booted the server on a network with a DHCP server already on it DHCP services may have shut itself off. Reboot after connecting to an isolated switch.

"ipconfig /all" at a dos prompt on the workstation would show you the "DHCP Server" address.

#4 ·
I tried almost everything I could think of (including several of the suggestions here) to no avail. I finally got my hands on a graphics card, and lo-and-behold, the Server's NIC wasn't operational... Now I know why the server was getting tossed :lol: I did replace the NIC, and now have a fully operational server though.

#7 ·
wilbur_the_goose said:
What'cha going to do with your new toy?
P Smith said:
sell it ...
Don't think I'll sell it, but I haven't quite decided its use yet. I've got a buddy who was thinking about building a media server -- I owe him a favor, and he'd probably be a happy dude to get the server.

#13 ·
dsw2112 said:
I actually tried both of those. When that didn't work, I knew there was a problem in addition to the inoperative graphics card :lol:
lol! It'll get you every time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.