1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Unreadable" bar codes

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Jun 11, 2018.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    When I buy single serving packages of ice cream or pastry products, the cashier often has a fit trying to flatten out the bar code that is wrapped over an edge. Sometimes, I'll hold and stretch out the wrapper for him, using both my hands to do so. If the manufacturer had simply rotated the printed bars by 90 degrees, they would always have a flat plane image to scan.

We've had bar codes for around half a century. How could so many manufacturers be so numb as to not have figured this out?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Poor quality control.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    More of a package design flaw than a production failure. The label was printed as specified by the person who laid out the package.

There is a disconnect between the person doing the design and the person using the design. Perhaps if the package designer was stuck in the store trying to get the barcode to work they may realize that there is a problem. Perhaps the next time they design a label they can turn the UPC. But they may get the idea shot down by people who do not understand the issue.

I purchased a funnel last week that had a UPC but no price label. It took a while for the "price check" scanner at the end of the aisle to scan the code and deliver the price. The cash register had a better scanner. The shiny label did not help but it was another issue of having the bars wrapped around a curve - just not as sharp as the corner of a candy bar. So yes, I feel your pain.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Every week I buy 4, 24 packs of Coke Zero at the local Walmart. The bar code is on the opposite side of the cut out used to pick them up. I have written to Coke 3 times over the last 3 years about moving that to the top so we do not have to take them out of the basket to be scanned. I was told it was on the bottom so it would scan when you slid it over the scanner in the check out lines.
    Pepsi and Mountain Dew both have theirs on the top with the hand hold. The clerk just uses their portable hand held scanner and scans those while they sit in the basket. I usually pick up just 1 and they shoot it 4 times.
    It really needs to be moved.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've always wondered why the bar codes aren't plastered on all sides and the top and bottom of packages. Are they expensive?

Rich

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Multiple codes could lead to multiple scans. It is nice on an item that wll never go over a scanner ... But on a box that can be lifted multiple UPCs could be a problem.

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Wow! And people here knock my eating habits!

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Drink no water here.
    Eat out ( carryout ) fast food every evening. Take lots of OTC pills. Watch TV and Type on my keyboard for exercise.

Rich likes this.
  9. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just found this four year old story, claiming that 7-Eleven was introducing a 150 ounce cup at the time. I'm almost tempted to try to check it for authenticity because I have tried unsuccessfully to purchase an old 128 ounce "Team Gulp" container many times over the years, and it seems to me that I would have stumbled across this news item before today. One fishy thing about this article is that it references a 64 ounce "Double Gulp", but that product had been downsized to, I think, 56 ounces several years earlier. In fact I had a nice stash of refillable 64 ounce cups that my numb landlord threw away, thinking they were abandoned property.

[​IMG]

While the X-gulp was supposedly going to be priced at $3.00, I'm pretty sure that the 128 ounce Team Gulp is programmed into their system at $1.99. Unfortunately, the only time I ever found used, 128 ounce Team Gulp containers for sale, they were on a Spanish language eBay and I didn't process my bid at that time. I had previously contacted their manufacturer and was told that they were no longer available.

[​IMG]

The 52 ounce X-treme gulp mug is still a great deal, because the large/small cutoff threshold at 7-Eleven is 53 ounces. They are still available for typically eight bucks. One word of caution. In Northern Virginia, at several stores, the clerks have been instructed to refuse to scan their bar code and to instead manually enter the refill sale as a large refill for $1.49.

[​IMG]

I once read an article in which a resourceful person (read: cheapskate) said that he ground the insulation out of his X-treme Gulp mug, using a rotary grinding bit in his electric hand drill, and so it now holds about 90 ounces of beverage.

In this article, someone reports that his local 7-Eleven has stopped allowing that container to be used as a refillable coffee cup for that price, though I have never used it that way.

7 Eleven cuts off Big Gulp

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Wow! We have long since stopped drinking soda. I will sometimes buy a six or twelve-pack for our grandkids when they visit, but 96 Coke zeros a week seems a lot unless you've got a business or a very large thirsty family.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Just me and my son. I used to have kidney stones when I was about 40. Dr checked me out and said there was nothing in the chemical composition of the test that he would tell me to avoid. What he did tell me was that I was not drinking enough fluids.
    From that day on I have a coke open all the time except for when I am asleep. No stones since then, 34 years now.

Rich likes this.