Unreliable Netflix service

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by the2130, Apr 17, 2018.

1. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    In the last couple of weeks I've encountered frequent buffering and connection errors with Netflix. My other streaming services are working fine. I have AT&T Fiber and my connection always tests close to the maximum, so I know the problem isn't on my end. Anyone else having issues?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Maybe, maybe not. Could be your ISP. Net Neutrality is dead, Chairman Ajit Pai at the FCC made sure of that. If you can try another service such as Hulu or Amazon for a few hours and validate its only Netflix, then call your ISP and see if they will help. But they are no longer under any legal obligation to help. Good Luck

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    We have a 4-streams Netflix account. Use it a lot. No buffering problems here.

4. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I wasn't having any problems either until a week or two ago. And again, all of my other streaming is working fine - MLB, Hulu, Amazon. And I doubt AT&T is throttling Netflix over its Gb fiber service. Also, the issue isn't limited to buffering. I'm getting intermittent "can't connect" errors. Then it will clear up and everything works fine for a while. Everything points to the the issue being with Netflix.

Netflix has been adding a ton of new subscribers. They may be adding more users than they have the capacity to handle.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Everything doesn't point to Netflix otherwise wouldn't I be having problems too?

6. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    So what are you saying? If it's a Netflix issue, every subscriber in the country will experience the same problem? Seriously?

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I use NF every day for hours. I do see some buffering but never on boxes that are hardwired. I get over 200 Mbps down on my Wifi system which should be plenty but at times I do see the buffering. But for very brief periods and it's only when I turn on the streaming box and bring up NF. Once I'm in content I see no buffering. I gotta blame what I do see on the Wifi, I just don't see it on my hardwired devices.

What's your location? Always helps if you want to argue about these things.

Rich

8. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks, Rich. I'm in the suburbs northwest of Atlanta. I have the same issue whether I'm using a wired or wireless connection. I can run a speed test on my wired PC and it will show throughput of more than 900Mbps. And the issue is intermittent - it will work flawlessly for hours at a time, then the problem returns. And it isn't just buffering, either. I can't even connect at times. I go to the Netflix page for DVDs when the issue occurs and then go to the "Watch Instantly" section and I get a screen that indicates the site isn't accessible. When this happens, my phone and tablet will give "can't connect" errors. And all of my other streaming continues to work without issue. I stream a lot of MLB every day.

I had a similar issue with Hulu about a year ago. It went on for a couple of weeks and then suddenly cleared up. And until a week or so ago, I had no issues with Netflix. It will probably clear up on its own, but it's really annoying. I'm not knocking Netflix, but I really wonder if they are having capacity issues from adding so many new subscribers.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Got it, thanx. Yup, sounds like you're right, gotta be a problem at their end. Guess location has something to do with it too, I don't see what you see. Hardwired, with your speed, you should never see buffering.

Rich

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I have no problems streaming Netflix on my Roku TV, hard-wired, or my Fire TV stick, wirelessly connected two rooms away from the router, or on my upstairs computer, also a wireless connection. I have 100/100 Internet from Frontier FiOS but the speed is roughly half that wirelessly.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    We have 10 devices tied into Netflix (excluding tablets and computers). 6 Rokus, 1 Fire TV, 5 smart TVs. 5 people watching: 3 people in FL, 1 person in NY (mother in law) and 1 in IL (daughter -- currently living in an extended stay hotel) (Love Netflix's 'family and friends' concept).

No buffering reported over the last several weeks. Wired and wireless.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have noticed one change recently. On all my devices, smart TVs-ATVs-FTVs-BD players, when I am watching a program and want some info I back out and read the content info page. Lately I see a several second pause when I do this. Used to be quick, now it's slow. I'm thinking this is one more symptom of overloaded servers. AP, HULU, HBO Now, Showtime, etc. all seem to be "normal". Quick as they always were.

Rich

13. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    That's interesting. I think the issue will get resolved sooner or later, but it went on for weeks with Hulu.

It's amusing that some people think if Netflix is working fine for them, it proves that someone else's problem can't be a Netflix issue. It's like they think everyone is connecting to the same servers in the same location.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    NF's servers must be spread across the country, right? Not one huge building with one huge server bank. So locations matter. I do see issues, not your issues. And that makes sense. The issues I wrote about are minor annoyances, just last a few seconds. Constant buffering is always very annoying. I think you've explained the issues well, has to be NF's fault. If you saw the same thing on other streaming video services it wouldn't be a NF issue. But you don't see that and you made that quite clear.

What I highlighted above is common. Again, locations matter, folks have to understand that. My first thought when I read your OP was, "He's not in NJ." I get the location thing. Some of us would like to see a location attached to every avatar panel. Just makes things easier.

Gotta wonder if NF folks are aware of this. Calling them is an act of futility, no tech service (much like D* but NF openly admits that).

Rich

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And I find it suspect that because someone has an issue with Netflix, they immediately jump to an assumption that Netflix has added more subscribers than they can properly support.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  16. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    NetFlix actually has built out and operates its own CDN. In the US it has tons of distributed servers located at various internet exchange points (IXP) throughout the country. It’s a pretty complex infrastructure so you can certainly have issues in one area and not others. Several years ago some researchers in the UK mapped out NetFlix’s CDN. You can read about it here:

Researchers Map Locations of 4,669 Servers in Netflix’s Content Delivery Network

Rich likes this.
  17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    About that "slowness" I mentioned: I was downstairs last evening with my son and noticed NF was working quickly on his ATV, he has his own NF account and it was working like it used to. What to do? I go upstairs and my NF app is working just like my son's app. What happened? On every device I have NF is now working correctly. Must have got an update, I guess. Curious.

Rich

18. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    It's just a theory as to what might be causing it, but it's pretty clear this is a Netflix issue, not an issue with my Internet service.

19. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I watched an episode of Daredevil without issue earlier today. Now it isn't working at all for me. I get "can't connect" errors on my Android tablet and phone, and from my wired PC I can't even access the Netflix site from a web browser. I get a "Netflix site error". See the screenshot.

Netflix site error.jpg

20. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    When I got the error above tonight on my PC, I was also getting the "can't connect" error on my phone, but I noticed that my tablet, which was still connected to Netflix from earlier, was able to play a video. But when I restarted the app on the tablet, I got the "can't connect" error I was getting on my phone. I ran the diagnostics in the Netflix app on the phone, which showed the following:

Netflix server error-2.jpg
    As I read it, my Internet connection is fine, but I can't connect to the Netflix server. It started working again later in the evening and now it's inaccessible again. I've been watching Hulu and MLB without any problems, while the issue with Netflix comes and goes. I think I'm going to try calling Netflix on Monday to see if I can get someone to look into it.