Unsuported MRV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by gwlbe, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Mar 9, 2017 #1 of 20
    gwlbe

gwlbe New Member

May 7, 2009
    Hi all. Longtime quite member. My receivers: HR24-500, HR21-200, R22-100, HR20-700, HR24-100. This past weekend I converted over to SWM which I got from a customer that switched to Dish. It went well everything is working. All but the HR21-100 (kitchen) are MRV wired Ethernet connected to my router. I have no wired Ethernet to the HR21-100, and prior to SWM it was a single tuner. i would like to add MRV to it. I do not have DECA or MOCA. My system is all self installed since I built the house in 2000. I rely don't want a installer here because I "moved" due to local networks issues. Can i add DECA to my system and will DTV send me one? Other options? Usually DTV will send me new equip if it fails, been a customer over 20 years. Thanks for any advise?

2. Mar 9, 2017 #2 of 20
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Which SWM system did you install? SWM LNB, SWM switch? I ask because you have ten tuners.

You can try to call DIRECTV and see if they are willing to send you a DECA otherwise you can get one yourself at Amazon, they are fairly cheap there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mar 9, 2017 #3 of 20
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If he switches to coax / deca, won't he need a deca for all the receivers except for the HR24s ?

4. Mar 9, 2017 #4 of 20
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nope, (he should, however) the MRV traffic will flow trough his router.

5. Mar 9, 2017 #5 of 20
    gwlbe

gwlbe New Member

May 7, 2009
    SWM 16 switch to 8 port splitter.

6. Mar 9, 2017 #6 of 20
    gwlbe

gwlbe New Member

May 7, 2009
    I called DTV tech. They said the HR24 will inject all receivers connected to the SWM switch with internet or MRV. Basically, connect a HR24 to the swm and my router, then all receivers on the SWM are MRV connected. Really? If true kick my but for putting off SWM installation for a year.

7. Mar 9, 2017 #7 of 20
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    That's only true on genies. And if you have all hx24 or newer equipment.

What you need is a deca at every non HR24 and a bbdeca (same only with a power supply) at one place to connect to your home Ethernet network. Then you reboot all the receivers and you are set.

I'd just order them via Amazon or eBay and be done. DIRECTV isn't going to send you that many decas.

8. Mar 9, 2017 #8 of 20
  9. Mar 9, 2017 #9 of 20
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  10. gwlbe

gwlbe New Member

May 7, 2009
    Thanks for the help. Gives wifey another dvr to fill up with murder & mayhem without conflicts.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    then you'll risk to give up her time dedicated to you ! oh-no!
    TV time does killing _personal_ time, you know ...

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
  13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I'm confused. The third generation DECA's only have one coax connector and one Ethernet connector. There is no coax pass-thru. It should work fine as a broadband adaptor or as a connector to an RVU TV. However, I fail to see how this would make for a "cleaner install" for HR-2x's. You can get Internet and network content to the receivers. But, you can't get satellite content to the receivers.

Am I missing something?

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There were not made for that purpose. Keep in mind that the coax pass through is only intended to power the DECA so you can still accomplish the same by using external power supply or use USB, although you will need a BSF as well.

15. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Now I'm even more confused. When you say that the coax pass thru is only there to pass power, are you saying that the receiver is getting everything, including the satellite signal, from the Ethernet output of the first & second generation DECA's? I always assumed that the DECA was acting as a splitter, sending the satellite signal to the coax side and the Internet / MRV signal to the Ethernet side of the DECA.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Of course, the DECA passes the satellite via the coax, hence the "pass through" but the main reason why they were designed this way is so that the DECAs could be install more seeming less. So in other words, DIRECTV thought, we need to connect the DECA to the receivers so that they get power (as opposed to an external power supply) but they must also pass the satellite signals as well.

Since DIRECTV is only shipping H24 and HR24 they no longer need to supply stand alone DECAs. The DECA 2 gen is still around but not by large quantities.

17. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    ... Which takes me back to my original point regarding Beers talkers recommendation for the TS to use third generation DECA's because they lend themselves to a "cleaner install", when they are essentially useless to use with the TS's HR-20 - HR-23.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right you were right all along. 3 gen DECAs does NOT makes for a cleaner install when used as a standalone DECA, you will need a the very least another cable ( USB) where it if used the 2 gen you only need the Ethernet. The 3 gen DECA makes for a cleaner install when it used for what it was made for, for RVU TVs.

19. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Bill is correct, I was wrong to suggest 3rd Gen DECAs here as they can not be easily used with the OP's HR20, HR21, & R22. I forgot that they do not have a coax out to feed the receivers SWM inputs. In order to use them you would have to put in a 2 way splitter and have one coax go to the receivers SWM input and the other coax go to the DECA. Then ethernet and USB from the DECA to the receiver. It would be almost like the HR20-100 setup except it would be USB to the receiver supplying power instead of coax to sat input 2. That is actually worse than using a 2nd Gen DECA.

They are strictly coax in - ethernet out, to be used for RVU TVs or broadband adaptors. I do still think they are cleaner for those uses (and that is when I'm normally recommending them).

20. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    ... and is exactly how I'm thinking about using them. I'm about to buy a couple of Samsung TV's that have RVU, for a guest bedroom and a workout room that I'm building. So, I've been trying to investigate the necessary equipment to install. Your post started me thinking that my understanding of DECA's was completely wrong.

Thanks to you and peds for responding and helping me realize that I'm on the right track.