Unsupported Setup Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by MizzouTiger, Nov 11, 2011.

1. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    I have been using the "unsupported" ethernet connection for my MRV setup since it was being test in the CE process. I have all three of my receivers (2 HR20's and an H21) hard-wired to my router. Everything has worked pretty well, except that sometimes when viewing a program recorded on one of the remote DVRs, the playback will sometimes lockup or freeze. I then have to hit the back up button to get it to unfreeze. I find this happens more when there is heavy traffic going through my router, like when my son is in the basement on the PS3, which is connected to my network wireless, playing Call of Duty or MW3 on line.

I had asked the question in another thread about connecting the 3 receivers to a switch and then connecting the switch to the router. I was told that would work and it would create a "cloud network" that would keep the MRV traffic from the receivers from having to go through the router but still allow the receivers to have internet access similar to what the DECA setup with the ICK would provide.

Now, my main question is this. If I wanted to connect the PS3 to my network via ethernet connection instead of wireless, I assume that I could add another switch in the basement, which is where the H21 is located, and then connect the H21 and the PS3 to that switch. If I did this, would I then be creating additional traffic on my "cloud" when the PS3 was being played?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    A lot of the answers you seek are very dependent on the minutia of how you set things up. Adding a switch and keeping all the receivers on that switch does help somewhat but there is a very real possibility that it won't help at all. Cheap switches aren't terribly good at handling traffic intelligently.

If you really wanted to get all serious, I'd think that a commercial grade router like something from sonicwall would be the way to go. You could actually create different LANs that shared a single internet connection. Of course that's absurdly expensive.

The one solution that seems most likely to help you for the least price is to move over to the SWM/DECA setup for $200.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "If there was a flaw" to what the OP wants/asked about, it would be that the PS3 & H21 would be sharing the cable back to the router. There may be enough bandwidth, but :shrug:

4. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    That was my basic question/concern. Thanks

5. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    Buy some cheap DECAs on Ebay right?

I use Netgear GS108 (http://goo.gl/7EBtd) for my unsupported setup and I wonder if it is keeping the traffic off my LAN but everything seems ok I guess, I do have the router giving them static ip addresses because Certain [Mod. Edit]HRs were the only ones that showed up in the DHCP table and would auto recognize on the iPad app but now they all get recognized no matter what(the H receivers).

6. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    I went ahead and purchased an 5 port Gigabit switch from Best Buy. I connected my 2 HR20's and HR21 to it. I then connected the switch to my router. I decided to keep the PS3 wireless as it currently seems to be working just fine.

I must say, my remote viewing performance has much improved with this setup. I have not had any freeze ups and trick play works much better and more smoothly - not as quick as when viewing locally, but much better than when my MRV traffic was going through the router.

7. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    Amazing isn't it

Do you have cat5e or cat6 wiring? Mine on a gigabit switch with all cat6 wiring (even though receivers are cat5) is just as fast as viewing locally when pausing and fast forwarding and it only says please wait for a split second before playing.

8. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Cat5e wiring. I am very pleased with the improved performance for such an inexpensive and easy change to my setup. I would go to a DECA setup, but I just don't want to spend that kind of money for it. If they would do it for free, I would take it in a heart beat. I believe that with my current setup, I am on par, performance wise, with DECA. The main reason I wouldn't mind going the DECA route, except for the upfront cost, is for the future-proofing that others have mentioned as it looks like that will be required connection scheme for all future receivers.