1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unwarranted Charges - Receiver Return Fee

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by sulliva9, Mar 11, 2011.

1. sulliva9

sulliva9 New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Mr. Ergan: I lost my job two months ago. In an effort to conserve my existing funds, I opted to cancel my Dish Service. I have been a customer for 9 years. I received instructions to disconnect my equipment and the shipping boxes. As I stood out in the snow, disconnecting my equipment, I pondered why I was doing this but shrugged it off. I paid my last bill and thought I was done.
    I have received a bill from DISH for 32.10. Upon inquiring from your chat line, I was informed that I was being charged shipping to return this equipment.

I find this extremely unfair and a wrong business practice. Dish saves by having the homeowner disconnect, package and ship; the homeowner pays the bill. Since you do not have a store where I can return this equipment, I feel that I should not be charged for this 'shipping fee'. Please have this charge removed from my account immediately. Sincerely, sulliva9

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk.
    Is this a communication you sent to Dish Network or are you just posting it here?

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  4. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Well, since you would have been advised of the fee when you cancelled, probably not.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Fee has been in effect for over a year, wake up and smell the roses.

6. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    I agree with the OP. It's unwarranted.

Making unilateral changes to a contract after execution is unfair, if nothing else. Even if the language of the contract allows it, the laws probably do not. A jury would probably rule the contract unenforceable. But the amount involved makes it unfeasible to fight.

These are just my opinions and I am not a lawyer.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That's the key for their decision to cut ... ummm make more money from customer's pockets (counting them by millions ...)

8. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    hard times for everyone, there is no such thing as free lunch.

9. Zero327

Zero327 Godfather

Oct 10, 2006
    It's in the newest agreements, on the e-mail disconnect notices and written on the shipping labels he used to return the equipment. Every jury in the world, crooked ones included would rule the contract enforceable.

As far as they logic they're using, it's quite simple. You don't want to pay for the service anymore, that's your prerogative. But the instant you're no longer "our customer", you pay for your own expenses, which includes returning the leased equipment. It's quite prudent business actually.

10. winston

winston Cool Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Dish is charging me 15.00 shipping to swap my 722 that tech service determined to be bad for another 722. I also lease.

11. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    That is also an existing policy, nothing new. If you want free shipping on replacement receivers subscribe to the protection plan.:):):)

12. winston

winston Cool Member

Mar 13, 2011
    I guess its better than leasing a car

13. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I can understand DISH wanting the receivers back. What I don't understand is having someone inexperienced climb up on their roof to send back the dish and switch, when they didn't install them in the first place. Sounds like throwing salt into a wound.

By leaving the dish and switch where they are provides incentive to the current and to future residents, to subscribe with DISH. And, in the case of sulliva9, DISH would have provided the opportunity to welcome sulliva9 painlessly back once their finances became stable.

When we moved, with the exception of taking the receivers with us, we left everything else behind. All the new owners had to do was add a receiver(s), and DISH had a house completely wired for their service. Which, probably saved DISH money in the long run, certainly the new owners.

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I had to read your post twice. Are you saying DISH now has a policy of having a customer who cancels service dismantle, package, and return the dish, switch and receiver plus pay for the shipping for returning their equipment? Surely you jest.

15. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    yes, he surely does...

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH has asked for the LNB to be returned, but all the customer has to say is they can't reach it and that is the end of the request. Only the leased receivers MUST be returned (penalties available in the contract for non-return) and yes - if you use the prepaid label you will pay the $15 charge. If you use other trackable shipping you can pay your own way. Returning the reflector is not required.

Most likely this is a misunderstanding by stressed out people. DISH probably needs to find a better way to express their wishes and requirements. When people sign up they are not thinking of cancellation so it is easy for the customer to gloss over what they are agreeing to.

I've never seen the pre-paid label ... how is it presented? Does it come in an envelope or have a stub that warns that use of that label will cost $15? Would the be a better way to communicate the cost? Or is the focus on the much greater cost of not returning the receiver? Add to that the request for the LNB ... is that request clearly optional or is it lumped in with the required receiver return? (IE: "Return the LNB if it can be safely removed from the dish." in the instructions instead of a simple "return the LNB".)

Of course, regardless of how well it is communicated the stress of the moment may be overwhelming receiving the message. But the clearer the message is the more likely that people will understand what is being asked.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    "I've never seen the pre-paid label ... how is it presented? " - before when it been prepaid, it's included in your return box.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Before DISH picked up the tab. Now that DISH is charging when their label (and shipping account) is used how clear is it that using that label will incur a fee?

19. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    I cancelled dish about 3 years ago and had to pay to send the receiver back. I never expected them to cover that.
    They asked for the LNB and I said I couldn't reach it and that was the end of that.
    Then I re-subbed to dish a year later and am now out of contract again and thinking of cancelling.

20. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Kudos to you, sulliva9.

Frankly, I'm shocked by the number of people who are willing to "suck it up" simply because "that's they way it is."

Always be negotiating, whether it's a new car, used car, new home or even clothing.

You'd be surprised by how amenable the selling party can be when you politely approach them with a reasonable offer.

In sulliva9's case, the implied reasonable offer is, remove the charges so that I can overcome my current economic hardship, and in return I won't continue writing about your obstinance.