Up & Running! And Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - SWMLine Discussion (private)' started by kevinturcotte, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1 of 37
    kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Got my splitters yesterday. Nobody was home this morning, it was nice out, and there wasn't anything scheduled to record on my HR20, so decided to retry installing the SWM.
    Didn't take nearly as long as last time (Not having waist deep snow to walk through can help lol). Everything is running fine!
    Here's what I did:

SWM LNB into 1 of these: http://www.a1components.com/itemdisplayn.aspx?item=4350 Skywalker Signature Series Splitter 5-2300MHz, 4-Way. From that, it feeds a D12 and an H20 (H20 is for spring/summer use only in a sun room, so will see how that works when we hook it up). Also coming from the splitter is another line going upstairs, into the Power Supply, and then into another of the same splitter, and then split to 3 HR20s.

Now, I've noticed this in under System Info:
    SWM Firmware Versoin: 1.0.11
    SWM Library Versoin: 1.0.8

Can these be updated like the receivers?

2. Apr 9, 2008 #2 of 37
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "nope".
    It seems to take a chip replacement.

3. Apr 9, 2008 #3 of 37
    kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Don't tell me that! I'm liable to try and take it apart and upgrade it myself lol

4. Apr 9, 2008 #4 of 37
    Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Apr 9, 2008 #5 of 37
    Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Awesome job and great news :)

6. Apr 9, 2008 #6 of 37
    kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Now I'm having a problem. I have 1 HR20 -100, and it doesn't seem to like the SWM. When it was connected to the WB68 switch, it worked fine. Now that it's connected to the SWM (I do have it in the right input-I checked lol), it works for a little while, and then it claims it doesn't have a signal. If I go into signal strength, it doesn't show a signal on any satellites, and the SWM signal is at 0 too. I moved the connection to a different connection on the splitter, and a signal on SWM showed up, but only on tuner 1, and I still couldn't actually watch any Tv. Flaky SWM tuner maybe?

7. Apr 9, 2008 #7 of 37
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe the HR20-100 needs to get used to the SWM function. :lol:
    The SWM and SWMLine seem to function pretty well out of the box, so I'd be looking at the cable and/or the receivers to be changing over to SWM function as the cause.
    Perhaps it was just un-powering it that had it work off the other splitter port.

8. Apr 9, 2008 #8 of 37
    kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I've swapped cables, restarted it, and can't get any sort of signal now at all

9. Apr 9, 2008 #9 of 37
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Give it a 10+ min "time out" [without power].

10. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    If that doesn't work, can you hook back up to the multi-switch to try to bring it back up?

Also - any other dishes connected to that multiswitch - 72.5 or 95?

11. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I CAN, but of course, that means removing the SWM LNB, both splitters, hooking everything back up again lol Don't care to if I can help it lol
    Only have the main 5 satellites.
    All the other receivers are working fine. It's just this one.
    If it is a flaky SWM tuner, would Directv replace it under the Protection Plan? Technically, SWM is supposed to be a working feature of the receiver, but of course, I can't just call them and tell them my SWM tuner doesn't like the SWM.

12. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Oh OK. I still have my AT-9 up for legacy, so i would just have to move a cable. Sounds like yours is a bit more complicated :lol:

I only asked about the extra dishes in case it was an idea to try to rerun satellite setup on that problem receiver. Sounds like nothing would have changed though.

13. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I've managed to get it working, for about 2 hours now. Not sure how long it will last lol
    I did go in and redo satellite setup a couple of times. Was originally setup for 3 LNB, and I switched it to 5 LNB, and that's when the problem started. Changed it back to 3 LNB, and still didn't work. Went back and redid it and set it to 5 LNB.
    Is there a preferred method for powering everything up? Or does it not matter?

14. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    That "LNB" confusion may in fact have caused it to get really sketchy. I think VOS' "unplug for 10 minutes" was likely the ticket.

I've only done a full power down and back up once, when I had good signal strengths on the SWMLine and was ready to go.

EDIT: For full DOWN, I went: Menu Reset > Pull plug at lights off> Remove cables >Power down PI.

For full UP, I went PI power >SWM meter to test cables>attach cables to receivers>power up receivers.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You want the SWM powered up before the receivers "try" to find a signal.

16. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Hopefully everything keeps working.
    Another fun wrinkle. Once the snow melts, and it's warmer, I'm going to go out and remove the additional cables, the multiswitch, and make everything look nice.
    I'd also like to diplex my cable internet into that 1 cable coming in as well. I DON'T have OTA at all. Will I be able to do this?

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "should work"

18. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    This ought to be fun lol
    What diplexers are recommended for something like this?

19. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Not Ideal :lol:

I don't know, but Im sure VOS does ;) Skywalker? :)

20. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I'm running aspens..