1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on 30 second skip problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bearcat250, Jan 30, 2012.

1. bearcat250

bearcat250 Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    Is there any news on fixing the 30 second skip. It seems like every recording lately, I have to fast forward through commercials because the 30 second skip stopped working. It's getting real annoying

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I have yet to see any commercials I can't use 30 second skip to get past. I've seen several others report this however and most have since reported it is no longer an issue.

3. Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter Hall Of Fame

Feb 20, 2009
    Any examples? I FFWD or 30SSKip through everything all the time here no issues.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The issue occurs for commercials that are local inserts. I still see it now and then.

- Merg

5. Sgt. Slaughter

Feb 20, 2009
    This. Only if your watching the live buffer or even if its a recorded program your watching later from the platlist?

6. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    The new software that just started rollout might help (time will tell for sure). This is something DirecTV stated would be addressed "eventually."

7. markrogo

markrogo Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    It hasn't been addressed. It only occurs on DirecTV-inserted ads. So you won't see it on network TV and on any channels where DirecTV isn't inserting ads using the DVR-based local inserts. We've seen it on USA and FX in the past week a few times. It's actually been a DirecTV ad, not a true local insert, but it's obviously using DirecTV's allocation of local "avails" hence the problem.

8. bearcat250

bearcat250 Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    I will 30 second skip through commercials on recordings until it stops working. It seems like I get through all the commercials and the DVR automatically reverses to a commercial that particular break. I will then FF through the commercial to get to my recording.

9. bearcat250

bearcat250 Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    I disagree. I have paid close attention to what the commecials are and what the channel is. It's very random and it happens for a wide variety of commercials. I will say that I do not record any major network programming, it's all cable channels.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It doesn't necessarily have to be a DirecTV commercial, but they all should be ones locally inserted. Are you saying it's happening on commercials that have not been inserted by the DVR?

11. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I record several shows from both USA and FX and have never seen this issue.

12. markrogo

markrogo Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Just because some of you have never seen the issue doesn't mean it's not happening. The local avail slots are intentionally available... locally. You might not be getting the ads some of us are getting and therefore you might not be getting snagged on them.

It doesn't happen every single commercial break, it doesn't happen on every DirecTV-controlled slot either (suggesting some of those are still being broadcast via satellite, which makes sense as their needs to be a default ad up there or else you might see a blue screen for 30 seconds, especially if you are not a DVR customer).

I'm delighted for those of you that don't have the problem, but it's still present -- or at least it was as of last week's Justified.

13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I don't believe any of us who haven't seen the issue have said it isn't happening to those of you reporting it.

14. markrogo

markrogo Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    I believe the posts that exist to state it has never happened to them serve the purpose of suggesting the problem is (a) limited in some way that implies the fix required isn't global (b) not really happening. The implication of said posts is: "I don't think this is a problem because I've never seen it". That may well not be what your intending, but it's what comes across because of the context.

15. Sgt. Slaughter

Feb 20, 2009
    Does this only happen when you stack the skips? Or can you be on the problem spot and try to skip and get nowhere?

16. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Exactly!

17. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    I am still having this issue, it's super annoying it does seem to only happen with inserted ads. If you are skipping fast enough you should be fine.

18. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    You're reading something into it that isn't there.

19. cheezeboy

cheezeboy New Member

Aug 28, 2008
    I just assumed my box was screwing up; I'll have to pay better attention to what ads are playing at the times that it doesn't allow the 30 sec skip anymore.

20. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    The skip not responding happens on live buffered and on recordings as well. In addition to channels mentioned, I've had it happen on A&E as well.