1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

update on liberal tv network

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by juan ellitinez, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
  2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    It isn't. It's been talked about for several months, along with a all-liberal talk-radio network.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    It's a joke, alright, just not an April Fool's joke.

Just what this country needs - another liberal-biased outlet, As if we don't already have enough.

Dan Rather, don't look back - another famous bed-wetting liberal may be gaining on you. :rolleyes:

4. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    Why isin't there a news channel that just shows the damn news instead of putting all these childish labels on it.

5. jpoklop

jpoklop AllStar

Jan 20, 2004

It is sad that we have gone from being a country founded on the right to free speech to being labeled traitors if you don't bow down to Fox News and the Bush Administration. The "liberal" bias of mainstream media is largely a creation of the conservatives which doesn't pan out under close scrutiny. But if you repeat a lie often enough people start to believe it. If there really were all these "liberal" radio and tv stations on the air, then starting a new one would not be news. But since Hanity, Rush, O'Reily, etc are up in arms, it must mean they perceive a new threat to their media empire. After all, the conservatives did not get the majority of popular votes in the last Presidential election so there is a large percentage of non-conservatives in the US. In the end the advertisers will decide if a new "liberal" (whatever that means - Bush is a fiscal liberal) radio network will survive. Like all media if it doesn't get good ratings and attract advertisers, it will die.

6. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    I am a liberal and proud of it!!!

7. kevision

kevision Mentor

Mar 30, 2004
    Such channels exist; BBCWorld, CBC NewsWorld, DW-World, etc. Sadly, none are carried in the US. Domestic providers are too concerned with their lack of Laci Peterson coverage or crappy montogues set to cheesy music...or something

8. jrrdy1380

jrrdy1380 Mentor

Jun 27, 2003
    They started the new liberal radio network, Air America, today in limited markets. I guess they think they will be able to be a "voice" in expressing the liberal point of view. The liberals, for the most part, already have the major networks and most of the major newspapers, so with the current vast lead that conservative talk radio has, why does the liberal media think that their message will be carried across the radio airwaves?

9. clapple

clapple Godfather

Feb 11, 2003
    Political true believers. Idiots! Pick the self serving jack ass, who will do you the least harm. That's the best you can hope for.

10. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Who said liberals are traitors? Wrong--yes. Traitors? Nah.

11. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    For all you non believing liberals out there. Lets rememeber that CBS is the one who brought us the (unbiased) report on 60 minutes. 2 weeks ago. Conviently forgetting to tell its veiwers they owned the publishing company, publishing the book and promoting it for there story. And then they devote (2) parts of the show to the complainer. But lets just rememeber they are not biased toward the liberals. And if you believe that one, can I sell you the Brooklyn Bridge real cheap.

12. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Another conservative trying to sell something he doesn't own. :D

13. FritzM

FritzM Legend

Feb 2, 2004
    Does CBS's ownership of whatever change anything? Nice deflection attempt.

14. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    PBS did a Frontline on Iraq about a month ago. It was very matter of fact. Wasn't a flag waiving thing, nor was it highly critical of the war. (To my dismay). This tells me it was "fair and balanced". Just present me the facts and let me make up my own mind. That's real news, unlike the Fox propoganda channel. Problem with Fox type rightwingers is that they have no respect for opinions other than their own. Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open.

15. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If it is not a "flag waving thing," then according to the right wing it is "liberal". There is no fair and balanced, anything to their left is liberal. Of course the same may be said about many of those on the left. Anything to their personal right is "conservative." So for the most part, neither side sees much of anything as fair and balanced. Just the disaffected group in the middle, who all sides fight over, but no one really cares about.

16. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    Not true of "liberals"...most see it as left, moderate and right wing. I am "small c" conservative on some issues (i.e. gun bans...yuk), to the left on most others. Most Americans are split like this, which is why they are so apathetic nowadays. Sadly, they just don't feel well represented. Sounds like Bogy is in that 10% that will decide the next election :)

17. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    That's right, who becomes our 44th president is up to me. :lol:

18. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I saw a poll somewhere that showed that something like 40% of Americans considered themselves Republican, 40% Democrat, 18% Independent, and 2% not sure. It appears this country is split down the middle. :)

19. Tyralak

Tyralak Icon

Jan 24, 2004
    Because it's impossible to have truly unbiased news. The person
    reporting an event will always tilt it in the direction of the way he views
    the world. Every news organization has their bias, and it affects how they
    report the news. Even if it looks like they're just reporting facts, the
    details they include or omit, and the context in which it is given often
    show the way they view the story and want you to view it. That's why it's
    so valuable to have more than one source for news.
    What they should do is what news outlets used to do in this country, and what they do in Britain. Have each news outlet state is bias up front, so you have full disclosure. This whole idea of "objectivity" is a whole cloth fiction. It cannot exist, as long as human beings report the news. "Objectivity" is usually used as a disguise for a particular agenda, so as to put the consumer off guard. That way, the consumer accepts what is being said as unbiased fact, instead of viewing it with the usual skeptisism applied to most other things.

20. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Most communities of any size used to have 2, 3, 4 or more daily papers, with a variety of viewpoints and agendas, which everyone knew. Today most cities, unless VERY large are lucky to have one decent paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.