1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update question

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Artwood, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artwood

Artwood Legend

May 29, 2006
    I got DISH and the Vip622 but I don't have it hooked up to a phone line.

Does that mean there is no way for me to ever receive a firmware update? Do you have to have a phone line to update?

The reason I don't have it hooked up to a phone line is because the phone company charges out the wazoo for any kind of line and for internet access.

I'm currently running my computer and Vonage for my phone off a cable system that my apartment complex provides.

The internet access costs about $30 and the Vonage costs about $30. Is there anyway for me to come out cheaper and be able to hook up DISH to a telephone line or am I getting by about as cheap as I can and any other combination of phone and internet access will just result in me paying more?

2. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    It does not use the phone line for updates.

You will incur a fee if you don't connect your phone line to something. The line does not have to be an internet able line.

Many have also been able to connect their receivers via Vonage. That would avoid the monthly fee from Dish.

3. Artwood

Artwood Legend

May 29, 2006
    Would Vonage be able to tell me how to connect it? Do I have to have some kind of an adapter?

4. Borgie

Borgie AllStar

Dec 30, 2006
    Sice you have Vonage, I'm assuming they gave you a router. My router has 2 phone ports but only one is active. All I did was buy a 2 way splitter and plugged it into the active phone jack on the router. Plug your phone into one and the 622 into the other. It works for me.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.