1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updates not timely

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by gcotterl, Nov 1, 2017.

1. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    The time for the download of the Program Guide info is set at "Default" (i.e., 3:00 AM) but the updates always occur about 3:15 AM.

When I specify a different time for the daily updates (for example: 11:00 AM or 4:20 PM), the updates occur at that time (11:00 AM or 4:20 PM)

Why isn't the "default time " working correctly?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you set it for a manual update at 3am does it fire at 3am or 3:15?

3. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    I'll set the update manually at 3 AM but, since it's 2 PM now, I'll have to wait 13 hours to see if the update process occurs at 3 AM or 3:15 AM

4. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    This is only my opinion as I have no proof but I really believe that the default update time automatically staggers so if you have more than 1 receiver they don't all upgrade at the same time.

5. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Instead of using the "Default" update time of 3 AM, I manually set it at 3 AM.

This morning, per my recent experience of getting broken sleep, I happened to wake up at 2:52 AM and I turned on my TV.

At precisely 3 AM, my DVR started the update process. I fell asleep at 4:05 AM.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It looks like the internal default is not the same as the displayed time.

Personally I would never set the time for the top of an hour. DISH changes the tables that help the receiver run at the top of the hour six times per day. Waiting until 3:15am would avoid that potential conflict. Perhaps the programmers saw the issue and change the default without changing the display?

7. MrQuestions

MrQuestions New Member

Nov 10, 2017
    I’d just advise to shut it off each night before going to sleep. If you live and your receiver running at night and it has to continually force update like that, it could cause some potential software update issues.

Place your receiver in the inactivity standby screen at night time before you fall asleep, turn our TV off and you should be good.

I’d never recommend waiting up and leaving your receiver and tv on for that.