Upgrade advise

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jrpeterson5, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Jul 8, 2016 #1 of 33
    jrpeterson5

jrpeterson5 New Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Hi All. First time poster, long time reader! I need some advise for an upcoming DTV upgrade. I'm not sure which equipment I should choose to turn back into DTV during installation next week.

My current equipment:
    H25 (2), H24 (4), HR24 (2), HR34 (piece of junk, haha)

Upgrade equipment:
    HR54 (4K install), 3 Genie minis (at least one C61 for 4K, then 2 others C41 or C51 I'm assuming).

So obviously the HR34 goes in place of the HR54. But what other 3 should I turn back in to make way for the clients??

Do I turn in one or two of the HR24 DVRs?
    Do I give up 3 of my standalone H24 receivers?
    Do the older HR24 DVRs work well with the HR54 with regards to whole home DVR?
    Do I even have a choice or does the installer just take whatever?

I've NEVER used clients like the C61 or C51 so I'm concerned about their performance hence the concern on what to turn in. Thanks for any help - - - Any advise would be great.

2. Jul 8, 2016 #2 of 33
    ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    KEEP the H25 (2), H24 (4), HR24 (2), Pretty sure they work with Whole Home. ALL are GOOD Units !!!!
    The Mini's are intermittent sometimes, especially if Wire-LESS
    Just get (1) 4-K Client, HARD-WIRED. Not much Broadcasting Now. will be good for a Test.
    Remember if you USE CID on your TV's for your phone the HR-54 does NOT offer the service. NO phone Jack.
    Just Turn-in the HR-34.

3. Jul 8, 2016 #3 of 33
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    yep, all those work fine with Whole Home and the HR54, with the same benefits/limitations as you have now.

4. Jul 9, 2016 #4 of 33
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You will be going from 15 tuners to just 5.

I would switch the 34 for the 54 and H24 for minis.

5. Jul 9, 2016 #5 of 33
    bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    Trade in a H2x (H24 or H25) for the C61K and leave everything else alone - except for the Genie, of course!

That's a total of 16 tuners, allowing 7 for the HR54. I don't think the reverse band LNB will support more than 13 tuners when H2x receivers are in the mix, so the installer might have to get creative.

Or replace an additional H2x and one of the HR24's with minis, too, to get down to 13 tuners for a simpler installation.

6. Jul 9, 2016 #6 of 33
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And as usual I'll ask the question, how do you watch tv now? Do you record everything? How many things do you ever find yourself recording at one time? How many different tvs are you ever watching at one time? And with what or how many people? Example are some rooms guest rooms or kids rooms or???

How you use your system is important to know before giving you the best advice possible about how to maximize your system to your habits.

7. Jul 9, 2016 #7 of 33
    jrpeterson5

jrpeterson5 New Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Thanks for the replies! Here is how we watch TV in our house:

8 TVs, 4 people living in the house. At any given time 4 different live shows could be being watched...but this could be occurring on up to 6 TVs (example: Living room and porch both watching baseball game last night by me alone, in and out of the house). Normally not more than 2-3 TV shows are being recorded at one time during prime time....however, while those 2-3 TV shows are being recorded we could still have 4 different people watching 4 different shows OTHER than the 2-3 being recorded. Wow, as I write that this gets more confusing. I'm hoping you guys can dissect this and make some sense of it!

I think inkahuts question above has lead me to realize that I could have an issue with Genie and clients. If we just take the 3 genie minis and the HR54s for instance (forgetting the others that have their own tuners)......could I record 2 shows on the 54, while watching DIFFERENT shows at the HR54 TV and the other 3 genie mini TVs??? This got complicated very quickly.....

Thanks all for any continued advice.

8. Jul 9, 2016 #8 of 33
    ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    It is getting complicated. You mentioned you have (8) TV. Why do you have (9) Receivers, H25 (2), H24 (4), HR24 (2), HR34 (piece of junk, haha) That is (9) Receivers.
    The Genie ONLY has (5) Receivers. "could I record 2 shows on the 54, while watching DIFFERENT shows at the HR54 TV and the other 3 genie mini TVs???" NO, that would use (6) Receivers. The Mini's have NO receivers, just work off the MAIN Genie, Your existing Set-Up is MUCH Better. Why do you want to Change ?

9. Jul 9, 2016 #9 of 33
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not quite. If you're recording 2 things and watching different shows live, you have three tuners available for that. So if you are using the HR54 for one of those, you've got two tuners left for clients.

A client doesn't use a tuner to watch a recording.

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Keep a Tuner for each TV (receiver not mini) Put the C61K mini at the 4K tv and only change one H24 out for that mini keep what you have -and no conflicks

The HR54 or HR44 Will NOT output 4k over direct tv HDMI connection -so that can be placed anywhere in your current system

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    In your original post you suggested keeping the HR34 and getting the HR54. You can only have one Genie so you will be required to get rid of the HR34. None of the other posts specifically mentioned that (although they did say to get rid of the 34). You won't have a choice with the HR34.

12. jrpeterson5

jrpeterson5 New Member

Jul 8, 2016
    One of the H25s is in my RV. So that's why I only have 8 TVs at home. I want to change to get to the HR54 because my HR34 is unusable....so bad. Plus I want 4K (even though it's limited content) on one of my TVs (yes, I understand that will be at one of the C61 minis and not at the HR54).

No, i am definitely dumping the HR34. It's basically a door stop right now unless you don't mind 60 seconds to just bring up the playlist. My original post said "So obviously the HR34 goes in place of the HR54. "

This is extremely helpful. What I may do is put one of the clients at a slightly less used TV so that really only 2 clients plus the HR54 get heavy/constant use. That should head off most of my potential issues.

When the installer shows up on Monday, should I only ask for one C61 and the other two minis as C41/C51? I've read a few forums with complaints on the C61 audio/video studdering hence the question. And my work order says: 3 DIRECTV 4K GENIE MINI. I don't think I want three of them (yes I realize only one would be able to do 4K at a time, but I only have one 4K TV). Thoughts there?

Thanks again all....so helpful.

13. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    What we can't understand is why you want to "DOWN-GRADE" your system to "MINI's" Except for the HR-34 you have the BEST Receivers DirecTV offers. As mentioned, the Mini's give problems. You ONLY need (1) for 4-K. So stick to that plan.

14. jrpeterson5

jrpeterson5 New Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Ok. Do I call DTV back and tell them I just want to cancel two of the genie minis? Or just tell the installer that when he gets here Monday? I now understand what you are saying very clearly and I agree with you in hindsight! So call or wait? (The upgrade was free with 24M commitment btw).

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Call DIRECTV and change your equipment order.

16. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    That probably explains why the Upgrade was free. The mini's don't much as compared to what equipment you have.
    Also not sure if they will install 4-K mini's with OUT a 4-K TV ? or if you can have that many

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Minis by themselves aren't a downgrade. I hate when people say that.

18. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    Wait until you get them.
    Why do you say: I hate when people say that.

19. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    If it where me and everyone in the house has some shows in common and several they don't.. and the issue wasn't how much you are spending to get the equipment... I'd consider moving your system to this...

hr54
    Hr24
    Hr24
    Hr24

C61k
    C51
    C51

H25

RV H25

That would allow for the following...

everyone have their own dvr. (Yours the hr54 would also record everything everyone wanted to watch)

The clients would go on the 4K tv and the other two tvs that are most used and in the general areas or second screen areas (your patio you mentioned)

And everything you all watch regularly would always be set to record.

Then you can watch anything anywhere and except for one tv be able to pause live tv at any tv in the house.

That one h25 would go wherever the least used tv was...

I believe that would be the most versatile setup you could go with and take full advantage off everything the minis have to offer and not sacrifice any abilities of your system either.

You'd technically lose two tuners total in my suggestion but you say you never use more than about 9 and this would still give you 12 in the house. And it add an additional 50 shows you could set to record and more hours of recording space too. Win win all around...

20. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I've got three. I know what I'm talking about. Unless you have an HR34 (which is awful) minis run great. They are great for all kinds of reasons and add abilities that you don't have with any other receiver.

Minis aren't a downgrade just because they don't have a tuner built in. I don't like it when everyone misleads people because they don't understand how to Maximize their system and use clients at the same time.

Plus most the time people say that when it makes zero sense to not use minis. This is one case where if I'm the op I want another DVR and three minis...

The vast majority of people should all replace their one HR24 and couple h24s with a genie and clients only... it's so nice for the vast majority of people.